cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is this even the morale thing to do?

I purchased a fragile item off of a guy in New York who has great rating. He shipped it from NY to TX with a 14.50USD service which took 4 week days to get here in spite of the guy using Priority shipping through USPS and I get that may have been a 80% USPS 20% Seller thing. Time is not so much of a concern, but the fact that he has a lot of positive feedback on his great packing skills,and yet decided to throw my item in a flimsy box with no padding or any sort of spacing between the items box and the box in which it was shipped in and send it over makes me feel cheated.

Now, obviously the items box is meant to protect it, which is completey true but it is a fragile box which is also packed with the item tightly in it, which means any compression to the items box will transfer to the item itself.

Needless to say, the item did arrive undamaged, box beat up but I can't help to think that charging 14 USD and not adding at least some decent packaging is nothing short of abuse. I've gotten more out of 4 USD shipping in tems of item protection than this. Is this something you would leave negative feedback over? Could it just be the case of people overcharging for shipping to get a few extra bucks?

Message 1 of 68
latest reply
67 REPLIES 67

Re: Is this even the morale thing to do?

@frodobagginskennedy

@frodobagginskennedy wrote:

You do not say how heavy or the dimensions of the item in question is.  If the shipping box was larger then 12/12/12 then $14.00 from NYC to Texas is inline.  More details p!ease.

$14 would be a regular weight-based cost, not a dimensional weight.  For instance, online postage for 4 pounds to Zone 6 is $13.77, or 3 pounds to Zone 8 for $14.90.  

The dimensional-weight prices for Priority Mail would start at $17.49 (for 1729 cubic inches to Zone 5).

Message 46 of 68
latest reply

@aguilared wrote:

It's kinda ridiculous that you know what I'm thinking before I am thinking.
Yes, scary ridiculous.
I don't have bad experiences on ebay that often. Out of 25 purchases only 3 involved poor packaging. 

And out of over 150 purchases, I have never left negative feedback for a seller due to poor packaging, even when I've received shattered glass items. You know what I have done in those rare cases? I've contacted the seller, politely explained the situation, and we've worked it out.

Do you know if people who frequent the community are mostly sellers?

Do you hear that clicking noise? That's the sound of every seller reading this post adding a certain person to their "Special" List. 

Belle
Message 47 of 68
latest reply

@aguilared wrote:

I agree and accept that the word scammer was uncalled for. But I am not quitting.

At least you own that.

Message 48 of 68
latest reply

This is understandable. However I don't think I will be needing dresses or nikes anytime soon.

Message 49 of 68
latest reply

"But I have not received a single partial on Ebay"

Hence, the negs.

Message 50 of 68
latest reply

What.. I'm surprised you can't see that.

Message 51 of 68
latest reply

Nice edit. I didn't know a negative rate would automatically get me a partial. It doesn't, btw. You have an option as a buyer to file a claim (which I believe is the only way to get money back) before leaving negative feedback. I have only filed claims for valid matters, like never getting an item to my address, or people sending rocks in a cellphone package 😛

Message 52 of 68
latest reply

@aguilared wrote:

Nice edit. I didn't know a negative rate would automatically get me a partial. It doesn't, btw. You have an option as a buyer to file a claim (which I believe is the only way to get money back) before leaving negative feedback. I have only filed claims for valid matters, like never getting an item to my address, or people sending rocks in a cellphone package 😛

Feedback has no relationship to refunds.

Message 53 of 68
latest reply

Yeah, I'm awear of that; You can do a claim without even leaving feedback, and you can leave feedback without filing a claim. Which is why I find odd he is accusing me of getting partials and scamming sellers because I left neg fdbck.

Message 54 of 68
latest reply

@aguilared

Wouldn't your time be better spent inspecting your item for damage?

Message 55 of 68
latest reply

@aguilared wrote:

I purchased a fragile item off of a guy in New York who has great rating. He shipped it from NY to TX with a 14.50USD service which took 4 week days to get here in spite of the guy using Priority shipping through USPS and I get that may have been a 80% USPS 20% Seller thing. Time is not so much of a concern, but the fact that he has a lot of positive feedback on his great packing skills,and yet decided to throw my item in a flimsy box with no padding or any sort of spacing between the items box and the box in which it was shipped in and send it over makes me feel cheated.

Now, obviously the items box is meant to protect it, which is completey true but it is a fragile box which is also packed with the item tightly in it, which means any compression to the items box will transfer to the item itself.

Needless to say, the item did arrive undamaged, box beat up but I can't help to think that charging 14 USD and not adding at least some decent packaging is nothing short of abuse. I've gotten more out of 4 USD shipping in tems of item protection than this. Is this something you would leave negative feedback over? 

Likely I would message the seller and simply let them know what you said, granted their answer could totally influence my feedback or not. What could influence feedback depends on my mood, time of day, if I had my coffee, whether it's raining or sunny outside, if the dog is barking, all these things and more could possibly influence my feedback to the seller but MOST likely I would not leave a negative since the item is in fact undamaged.

Then again I don't leave red dots.

Ever.

I've had a few test me on that but there's no need as I find leaving negative feedback can affect me as a buyer later... I have over time found alternative methods on how to get around this issue, for example vetting sellers is a very good method on how to avoid having to leave negative feedback, just as an example.

Message 56 of 68
latest reply

@aguilared wrote:

Hi!

Just not used to that sort of shipping, usually I find much cheaper shipping with sturdier packaging and items arrive with 0 wear and tear.

The box was not the items size, it was much larger and the item kept bumping all around, I have not fully inspected to see if any repairs will be needed.

Thanks!

Ok I'm confused earlier you said it was packed tight so that any bump to the box would transfer to the item   Now the box is much larger 

“Birth certificates show that you were born. Death certificates show that you died. Photographs show that you have lived.” -Unknown
Message 57 of 68
latest reply

Here is what i think.  I don't know that any partial refund request was involved.   Some people are just neg happy without being scammers.  I still wouldn't want to deal with them.  But op likely already thought the shipping price was high for the item when bought based on remarks here about others shipping cheaper.  So op thought well it better get here quick and packed perfect for that price.  And it went down hill from there because of preconceived notions    It didn't meet their expectations for the price.  Being the box was beat up and the item up damaged sounds like it did ok to me at holding up.  

“Birth certificates show that you were born. Death certificates show that you died. Photographs show that you have lived.” -Unknown
Message 58 of 68
latest reply

@aguilared wrote:

Hi!

Thanks for the feedback, I'm still checking to see if the item was actually damaged or if it will require repairs as it has fragile contents. It's kinda ridiculous that you know what I'm thinking before I am thinking. Not mad that the item took longer, it's specifically mentioned in my post.

Yeah, I agree, I believe every seller should pack the items they are shipping in an appropriate way to deal with rough handling. I thought it was like a principle.

I don't have bad experiences on ebay that often. Out of 25 purchases only 3 involved poor packaging. Do you know if people who frequent the community are mostly sellers?

That's ALOT of bad experiences. 

Reading your post, I suspect the issue ain't the sellers

Message 59 of 68
latest reply

I've been purchasing items out of San Jose since 1858 and out of 128,549 transactions I have never left a negative.... now this was long before Al Gore invented the internet, so you had to order from E. Bay Mercantile, proprietor Sir Edward Octavius Bay. Many people don't realize eBay was named after him.

My first transaction was a multiple item purchase, 1 mule, a gold pan, a block of salt, 1 pound of coffee and a broken laser pointer. I even ordered my first wife through them and did I complain when she arrived with a slightly damaged box.... NO I was happy to have received her.  Although she did try to file a SNAD against me, which is totally not in the rules, the item ordered can't file against the person ordering, so she was stuck with me. She turned out to be my favorite wife until #8 in 1945 when I married Vanita, she was my favorite until I found out she was cheating on me while I was at work.....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wKMKQg9LlFI

And don't even get me started about feedback.... at one time you assigned either a "cracker jack" or "23 shidoo" rating.... and later on feedback got changed to writing it on a piece of paper and taping it to someone's back unbeknownst to them...... and eventually Al Gore was born invented the internet and eBay went down hill... shame really.... nothing like damaged items arriving (or not) in about 2 years... because you would be happy anything arrived.... modern society is all about instant gratification.

Hey yous kids git off my lawn....

....what were we talking about?

yeah that neg was wrong....

There was never yet an uninteresting life. Such a thing is an impossibility. Inside of the dullest exterior there is a drama, a comedy and a tragedy.
Image hosted by Photobucket.com

Message 60 of 68
latest reply