cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is USPS on its way to being totally broken?

I am fearful that USPS is falling apart.

I just checked tracking on a buyer's package.

See image below, and make note of the dates. Today's date and time (in black) is from a screenshot of my desktop, taken just now.

usps.png

All in all it's just another ding in my seller metrics?

Posting ID
Message 1 of 33
latest reply
32 REPLIES 32

No other carrier handles small packages for the price of USPS, so there are no alternative carriers.

FedEx has never been able to find me the first time for delivery....or they leave things hanging from the mailbox on a state highway.  Even signature required items - before the pandemic.

At least UPS is a regular driver who knows where to leave my packages.

Message 16 of 33
latest reply

@mr_lincoln wrote:

@aldente28   The only "ding" on your account you will get for shipping is if you do NOT get the Acceptance scan by the carrier within your Handling time. 

As to USPS being on its way to being totally broken?  Doubtful, it will eventually become a profitable organization but that will take a little time. 

USPS is a service organization. We are set up to work at a 'break even' level, not as a FOR PROFIT.  That is what tRump and the new PG want to do is to break it so it can be privatized  so the prices of all the carriers can be raised to put more money in their already bulging pockets. 

USPS rates are set by congress. This is what holds shipping costs down to a managable level. It is hard to compare postage rates with other countries with privitized postal systems  due to other costs of living and pay rates ect. But just look at the franchise markets here in the USA. Places like UPS Stores and Mailboxes Ect. In these cases customers who buy postage stamps at private postal outlets will typically pay a mark-up over the face value, and those who use such outlets to ship items via USPS, UPS, or FedEx generally pay a premium over what they would be charged if they dealt with those entities directly.  What do you think will happen if greedy billionars have free reign over the cost of mailing a letter or perhaps getting your perscriptions delivered?

Message 17 of 33
latest reply

@oldwestgold wrote:

I am not disagreeing with you or agreeing with you but it is immature to use the name as you do. It does nothing for your message.

Immature, maybe but look at what he has called people of color, women, former Presidents, Honored Vets, his former "best people" , and even the disabled.... , granted and I will own my immaturity and not post the things I call him in my head (for they are truely VERY immature).

Message 18 of 33
latest reply

When we first moved in, I told my carrier he didn't even need to bring packages out, just leave a notice and I would pick it up.  He thanked me profusely...my driveway is 700 feet long, uphill (think ski slope).  He retired after the first year of huge on-line sales.  He was great with scanning packages picked up at the mailbox.

He retired close to 4 years ago.  Since then, I have never had a carrier acceptance scan on a package left in the mailbox.  I have never had a post office acceptance scan when I use the bin in the lobby.  The first scan appears at the sorting center, pretending to be the PO.  Then 30 minutes later, arrival at the sorting center.  Thank heavens eBay is 2 hours behind, because some of those scans hit just before midnight or just after midnight.  The only way to get a true acceptance scan is to hand the package over at the counter.   there used to be a substation in town but that closed the end of last year when the business where it was located went out of business.   Lunchtime there are only 2 windows open, with one doing passport applications...and so of course the line is 10 to 12 people long.

So USPS hasn't been fulfilling it's responsibilities in my area for 3 1/2 years.  

Message 19 of 33
latest reply

Whoever picks up your package SHOULD be scanning them at the point of pick-up.  If you have several going out try printing a scan form, those are manditory to scan, but then again so is the acceptance scan on pick-up. 

Message 20 of 33
latest reply

@mudshark61369 wrote:

The delivery time will not affect your metrics.

No, but the INR will.

And yes, it's from USPS.com. It's the next day at noon. Status unchanged. Still out for delivery...3 days ago.

Posting ID
Message 21 of 33
latest reply

A few things:

- I support USPS and think we are far better off WITH a national mail service than without.

- One need look no further than countries where politicians destroyed their mail service for guidance.

- I am concerned for USPS, not criticizing them. I hope everything is OK but I'm worried it's not.

Posting ID
Message 22 of 33
latest reply

I don't understand why everyone complains about USPS. We send and receive hundreds of packages and in the last 3 years lost packages must be 0.1%. 

That package is your responsibility until a USPS employee scans it. Then it is USPS responsibility until a USPS employee scans it delviered and now it is the recipients respobsibilty.

What you need to worry about is when the mailman doesn't scan it delviered. Then it says "status not updated" and a buyer absolutely will get their money back and keep the item for free if they choose to do so. That is why you want to always use a thermal label printer. It might be 100 degrees outside and the mailman might be hungover, maybe it is raining outside, maybe his mother just died, you don't know. If you use an inkjet printer and put tape over it he might try scanning it a few times and then just leave it.  You want to have the best quality barcode on that label you possibly can. Used thermal printers are like $80 and don't require ink. 

Message 23 of 33
latest reply

As for pickups, you need to ask them to scan them one by one. If they don't want to, then ask for their name and then go to the post office, wait in line and have your packages scanned one by one and then ask for the supervisor and explain why you are there.

It is like the guy at the gas station not wanting to pump someones gas. 

Waiting in the line is even better. I've had people say "there is a limit of 5" or "it is usps policy to not scan packages". Outright lying. Report them to consumer affairs, report them to the local supervisor. Problem gets fixed very quickly. 

Message 24 of 33
latest reply

I was never a fan of Donald Trump before 2016. I considered him to be a very rude narcissist blowhard.  However, I did vote for him. Why? Because he was the only candidate addressing issues important to me. I live in California and have witnessed the destructive effects of illegal immigration on schools, hospitals, insurance rates, etc, etc. So when he came out the gate claiming to fix the immigration policies of the country I immediately was drawn to his campaign. For the past 30 yeas, at least, BOTH parties have contributed to the destruction of the middle class.  Our trade policies were a mess and we were letting far too many workers enter the job market from foreign countries with H2B Visas. NAFTA was a huge failure. Ross Perot was absolutely correct when he predicted that factories would close as jobs left for south of the border. 

For all Trump's personality flaws and self absorbed tweets, I can at least know that he is fixing problems that Democrats and Republicans caused. The new USMCA trade agreement is a smart replacement for NAFTA that favors American workers. And although Obama claimed, "Those jobs aren't coming back," Trump has proven that they CAN come back, even without a magic wand.

So I support President Trump and just ignore his tantrums. He's much preferable to the alternative. Biden has a history of corruption, enriching himself and his family by using his government connections. His son, Hunter, received millions from Ukraine. If Trump's son did that the MSM would never stop talking about it.

Message 25 of 33
latest reply

I hope so, that company needs to start from 0

Message 26 of 33
latest reply

@aldente28 wrote:

I am fearful that USPS is falling apart.

I just checked tracking on a buyer's package.

See image below, and make note of the dates. Today's date and time (in black) is from a screenshot of my desktop, taken just now.

usps.png

All in all it's just another ding in my seller metrics?

Message 27 of 33
latest reply

Trump would love to see the Postal service privatized, all the man cares about is money and making more of it for his family and rich supporters, our Postal Service was established in our Constitution with Ben Franklin as the first Post Master General, we must insist that the 2006 bill that forces the Postal Service to fund 75 years of pensions in 10 years be repealed, it is outrageous and is responsible for some of the red ink that the Service finds itself in. I depend on the USPS as a small online business person, the private carriers are NO substitute, Fedex just broke the second item within the last year that I shipped through them, I haven't had a USPS package broken in YEARS.  Shipping Internationally would be impossible without the USPS. Personally, I think that Donald Trump is the worst, most destructive President in my lifetime, and hopefully the American people will fire this incompetent fool in November. 

Message 28 of 33
latest reply

I agree. The PG, and Trump has reduced funding for the USPS for the main intention of blocking the mailing of 'voter by mail' ballots, which is called 'voter suppression'.

The PO states they won't have time to mail out all the ballots and then process them back in time. This was calculated by Trump: suppress vote by mail, reduce polling sites, counting on voters who won't risk their health by standing in long lines. Colorado is the model for state mandated vote by mail, and there is no fraud or manipulation of ballots.

Meanwhile, I know a notice was mailed to me on July 9 and I received it on July 31. The letter was mailed in the same city where I live. So USPS is filled with delays, lack of funds, and everything else you mentioned. Trump has to go.

Message 29 of 33
latest reply

@jbjbj_7 wrote:

As for pickups, you need to ask them to scan them one by one. If they don't want to, then ask for their name and then go to the post office, wait in line and have your packages scanned one by one and then ask for the supervisor and explain why you are there.

It is like the guy at the gas station not wanting to pump someones gas. 

Waiting in the line is even better. I've had people say "there is a limit of 5" or "it is usps policy to not scan packages". Outright lying. Report them to consumer affairs, report them to the local supervisor. Problem gets fixed very quickly. 

There is no need to scan packages one by one, it is easy to do a batch scan and even easier to use a scan form. All are equally good and there is no way to tell how it was scanned.

LOL where are you that you can find someone to pump your gas. I'm 60 and the last time anyone pumped gas for me was my late husband and he has been gone since 2004.

Message 30 of 33
latest reply