cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is USPS Ground Advantage always by ground, or sometimes air? Need to address restricted items.

One thing that hasn't been clear to me is whether or not USPS Ground Advantage is always by ground/surface.  With Parcel Select Ground, it was always by ground.  Ebay labels used to allow declaration of restricted substances, such as Lithium batteries, but later dropped that feature.  It seemed as long as the USPS was delivering by ground, that was okay.  First Class often went by air, so that was not an option.  My Post Office even disallowed First Class shipping of a quartz watch with a battery, so that made selling watches like that mostly impractical.  I saw somewhere that if we ship something by Ground Advantage that actually needs to go by ground, we need to label it as, "Restricted Electronic Device, Surface Only."  Is that true?  That implies that some packages shipped by Ground Advantage actually fly, which seems odd.  Would putting such a label on the package ensure that it is handled differently?  This potentially opens up shipping some lighter items with batteries at lower cost.

Message 1 of 4
latest reply
3 REPLIES 3

Is USPS Ground Advantage always by ground, or sometimes air? Need to address restricted items.

It's not always 'by ground' 

For instance, hard to go 'by ground' from Hawaii or Alaska (actually, impossible). 

They just 'call it that'

For shipping 'Batteries' there is a special tag that you are to put on the package that states' batteries' and MUST go ground. 

Best to check with you local Post Office for more info. 

Message 2 of 4
latest reply

Parcel Select Ground did not travel exclusively by ground. When there's extra room they will throw those packages on airplanes. This is one of the reasons USPS has such strict requirements about labeling packages.

See the lithium batteries section on this page @electrola_man 

https://www.usps.com/ship/shipping-restrictions.htm

And more info on this page

https://pe.usps.com/text/pub52/pub52c3_027.htm

Ground restriction typically means "surface transportation only" @stainlessenginecovers so items required to travel ground to Hawaii/Alaska are put on a boat instead of a plane.

GLORIOUS!

Confused about the switch to eBay discounted shipping? Read this discussion to make an informed decision about opt in / opt out.
Message 3 of 4
latest reply

@stainlessenginecovers wrote:

It's not always 'by ground' 

For instance, hard to go 'by ground' from Hawaii or Alaska (actually, impossible). 

They just 'call it that'

For shipping 'Batteries' there is a special tag that you are to put on the package that states' batteries' and MUST go ground. 

Best to check with you local Post Office for more info. 

I think that's why they use the term, "Surface," which allowed boats.  I always disallowed sales to Alaska and Hawaii when shipping anything that needed to go by ground, figuring the time would be so long it might lead to "item not received" claims.  I'll check with the Post Office.  They've never asked for any special marking on Parcel Select Ground, even when I told them a package contained a camera with a small battery installed.  I didn't realize those could possibly have gone by air.  Thanks for the info.

Message 4 of 4
latest reply