cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I'm So Conflicted...Any Advice?

Hi All,

*8/22: buyer messaged me complaining she was very displeased with a dress I sold. She said it was listed as NWT but the dress she received was used.

*8/22: as I was reponding to her message explaining the listing clearly stated Pre-Owned & to return for refund, she opened a SNAD saying the dress was supposed to be NWT, but wasn't, and it was wrinkled and smelled.

* 8/22: I called ebay and they could see from the messages that she didn't read the listing. They told me to accept the return and they would refund me the cost of the shipping label. So I did.

* The buyer was given until 8/29 to return the item.

* 8/30: This morning I called ebay as the deadline had passed and the case was closed in my favor.

*8/30: Right after the case was closed, I received the following message from the buyer:

Hi eBay, (this was sent to my in-box as "buyer has a question...)
I have already sent the dress back by US mail.
I can't understand how I have to wait longer for an item I purchased
and have less time to return an item that I was not pleased with. (she received her item in 4 days but had 7 to send it back!)
My problem with the dress was not that I thought the dress was new.(yes it was,that was her first 2 lines of reasoning for the SNAD)
My problem was the condition of the item your seller sold me.
I think the policy is unfair.
Very displeased with the decision not to refund my money.

*8/30: Buyer left me negative feedback which ebay promptly removed before I could even read it.

I have blocked her as of today. However, I really believe she thought she was getting a NWT item. I'd be happy to refund her just the cost of the dress, not shipping charges, if I do get it back. Is that even possible? Or should I just leave it alone?

Message 1 of 27
latest reply
26 REPLIES 26

Re: I'm So Conflicted...Any Advice?

@couldabeenworse wrote:

There is no way I would refund this buyer.    They need to learn a lesson. 

Yeah, they need to learn to fund with credit card.  Otherwise, eBay will convert a "60 Day Return Policy" into "5 days and 1 second".

I strongly suspect OP's buyer DOES need to learn that!     Based on everything OP's said so far, their buyer couldn't find their way out of a paper bag. Smiley Very Happy

Message 16 of 27
latest reply

I wouldn't do anything but BBL and talk badly about them in a forum.

Even IF you get the dress back, I STILL wouldn't do anything but those two.

Message 17 of 27
latest reply

Business policies should not include retribution or acting like a kindergarten teacher. The right thing to do would be mitigate damages and refund upon return. Then you can move on and get back to business.

why any seller would want to intentionally further antagonize another human being is beyond me. Especially not another human with the ability to harm your business.

Message 18 of 27
latest reply

What a low class this buyer is. But yeah, I'd refund if I got the item back. Good luck.
Message 19 of 27
latest reply

@hardworkingshawn wrote:
What a low class this buyer is. But yeah, I'd refund if I got the item back. Good luck.

Thank you! I originally had the intention of refunding her the cost of the dress until I realized she waited until the case was closed before mailing it back.

I'm now debating if I even want to refund her the cost of the dress minus ebay & paypal fees as I don't know if I would get those back since ebay already ruled in my favor.

Hope everyone has a fantastic weekend of sales!!

Message 20 of 27
latest reply

I originally had the intention of refunding her the cost of the dress until I realized she waited until the case was closed before mailing it back.

How the heck is that a red flag?  Buyer did you a favor: you won the case and had feedback blocked because the buyer was too slow to return.  You should have no problem getting the return shipping refunded from eBay.

I suspect the buyer will get a refund from eBay if you fail to do so, but for the life of me I don't see any justification for keeping the dress and the money.

Message 21 of 27
latest reply

@the*dog*ate*my*tablecloth wrote:

Business policies should not include retribution or acting like a kindergarten teacher. The right thing to do would be mitigate damages and refund upon return. Then you can move on and get back to business.

why any seller would want to intentionally further antagonize another human being is beyond me. Especially not another human with the ability to harm your business.

Not every seller has the luxury or time (nor should they be expected) to give buyers who don't follow protocol spoon fed attention. 

Once this dispute was closed, I would be done with it as a seller.  It was the buyers decision to return the item after the case timed out.     Why should this seller waste any more time on this transaction? 

Message 22 of 27
latest reply

@couldabeenworse wrote:

I originally had the intention of refunding her the cost of the dress until I realized she waited until the case was closed before mailing it back.

How the heck is that a red flag?  Buyer did you a favor: you won the case and had feedback blocked because the buyer was too slow to return.  You should have no problem getting the return shipping refunded from eBay.

I suspect the buyer will get a refund from eBay if you fail to do so, but for the life of me I don't see any justification for keeping the dress and the money.

Let me clarify. When she messaged me (thinking it was ebay) and said she had sent the dress back, I figured she just didn't use , or didn't know how to use, the provided label and that's why no tracking was uploaded. In reality, she mailed it AFTER she said she had & tracking was then available.  That's a game changer for me.

I know I will get the return shipping refunded. What I am saying is since the case is closed, I will not be credited the FVF or Paypal Fees. I've already spoken with ebay about it. IF I refund, it'll be cost of the dress minus those fees.

Have a great weekend.

Message 23 of 27
latest reply

Let me clarify. When she messaged me (thinking it was ebay) and said she had sent the dress back, I figured she just didn't use , or didn't know how to use, the provided label and that's why no tracking was uploaded. In reality, she mailed it AFTER she said she had & tracking was then available.  That's a game changer for me.

I think going to the post office is a major hassle for many buyers, and I think very few buyers are aware of this "5 days and you're out" loophole in the 60 Day Return policy.  I bet buyer got the notice from eBay that the case was closed, and finally rushed the parcel to the post office that day.

To be clear, I don't think either of you intended any harm to the other.  I believe that what should have been a fairly simple return situation has become a major aggravation for both of you for no good reason.

Message 24 of 27
latest reply

To be clear, I don't think either of you intended any harm to the other.

That is strange, because the way I see it, the buyer clearly tried to harm their seller and the OP did nothing wrong. 

Message 25 of 27
latest reply

@couldabeenworse wrote:

I think going to the post office is a major hassle for many buyers, and I think very few buyers are aware of this "5 days and you're out" loophole in the 60 Day Return policy.  I bet buyer got the notice from eBay that the case was closed, and finally rushed the parcel to the post office that day.

To be clear, I don't think either of you intended any harm to the other.  I believe that what should have been a fairly simple return situation has become a major aggravation for both of you for no good reason.

How is it a loophole when the buyer is told by eBay in the return that now that they have been provided the label they have 5 days to get it in the mail?  And in most cases they don't have to go to the post office they can call and arrange pickup.   

The time limit to use the provided return label of 5 days is in no way related to the 30 (not 60) day MBG.  Per Ebay: At any time during the 30 days after purchase (60 days ONLY if the seller allows) the buyer can request a return.  Once the label is provided they must mail within 5 days.  That's not a loophole in the 30 day (or 60 day in your world) return policy.

Member of the Grumpy Old Man crew
Message 26 of 27
latest reply

How is it a loophole when the buyer is told by eBay in the return that now that they have been provided the label they have 5 days to get it in the mail? 

It's not only a loophole. it's false advertising.  When making a purchase, buyers see 60 Day Return Policy (I refer to this because that's what the OP had).  It is not unreasonable to conclude that this return policy would work like virtually every other online merchant return policy and that they can return that item any time up until 60 days.  Any mention of the 5 business day limit once the label is issued is several clicks away.

I can see the buyer having to pay for return shipping if he lets the label expire, but to cut off the rest of the return window days or weeks early is pretty sleazy.   You would be hard pressed to find any other online merchant with such a shady policy.

Message 27 of 27
latest reply