cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to ship magazines?

I got my hands on a box full of sports magazines and never hsipped those. I figured, they cannot be shipped using media mail and if I want to print a shipping label through Ebay, I have to chose first class with delivery confirmation, where the envelope must be thicker than 1 inch. Magazines are not as thick, so I really don't have a clue how to ship those. If I use a normal flat envelope, I can't print the label though ebay and have to use stamps without delivery confirmation, right? Which is always risky. What are you guys using.? I saw sellers who use the media  mail $3,49 option, but magazines are not allowed in media mail. 

Message 1 of 20
latest reply
19 REPLIES 19

Re: How to ship magazines?

I don't ship magazines, but I just crumble a piece of paper or cut a couple small square pieces of cardboard and put in there.

Have a great day
Message 2 of 20
latest reply

There is no minimum thickness for a First Class package.  

There is, however, a maximum thickness of 3/4 inch for a flat   (AKA Large envelope), and  USPS policy says that a rigid item can't go as a flat and must be mailed as a package.  So if your piece is not over 3/4 inch thick, then you should put some corrugated cardboard in to ensure that it's not eligible to be mailed as a flat.  You should probably put some in anyway to protect the magazine. First Class postage is priced in 4-ounce increments so usually a couple sheets of cardboard won't affect the postage cost for your package.

In other words, to make your item a package rather than a flat, it must be either over 3/4 inch thick or rigid (or both of course).

Message 3 of 20
latest reply

This is how I would ship:

Put the magazine in a plastic bag to keep it clean and dry in case the outer package gets wet or damaged.

Cut cardboard just larger than the size of the magazine with the corrugation facing opposite directions: one vertical and one horizontal. Corrugation in opposite directions makes the package more rigid and harder to bend. Cardboard just larger than the size of the magazine means the corners and edges are protected.

Sandwich the magazine between the cardboard and secure the 4 sides with masking tape. Remember, the magazine is already in a plastic bag so the tape will not ruin the magazine if there's contact.

Stick that inside of an envelope - manila or poly mailer both work.

Ship First Class Package assuming it's under a pound.

If over a pound the magazine would have to go Priority (or ground). In that case you may find it's better to sell them in lots if the selling price doesn't justify the shipping cost.

GLORIOUS!

Confused about the switch to eBay discounted shipping? Read this discussion to make an informed decision about opt in / opt out.
Message 4 of 20
latest reply

Yes! Exactly. Or skip the envelope. 

I also mark the package rigid first class just to bypass any question on that.

But the corrugations running opposite directions is essential. 

Message 5 of 20
latest reply

And to the OP. Thank you thank you thank you for knowing that magazines do not go media rate. 

Message 6 of 20
latest reply

I sold a few toy price guides that were like a magazine. I always used a box or if I used a manila envelope (yellow ones), I would place 2 pieces of cardboard around the magazine. The cardboard should be slightly bigger than the magazine.  I secure the cardboard so that the magazine does not slide out. I put the entire magazine/cardboard in a plastic bag to make sure that it does  not get wet.  I print the label. In bold letters with a permanent marker,  I will write, " PHOTOS      PLEASE DO NOT BEND.   PHOTOS "   I write it on both sides because I don't want the carrier to bend it and shove it in a tiny mailbox.   

Message 7 of 20
latest reply

Rigid means parcel which would go as a parcel if clerk or post office understands the word. I would not put "do not bend" or "do not not fold" or "rigid" on said envelope. It is considered a parcel then. Sometimes, you get lucky and sometimes you do not get so lucky. It's a gamble.

I would take the first order to the post office to see what the actual cost is and how it can be shipped for future shipments and then compare that to eBay shipping rates.

Message 8 of 20
latest reply

@12345jamesstamps wrote:

Rigid means parcel which would go as a parcel if clerk or post office understands the word. I would not put "do not bend" or "do not not fold" or "rigid" on said envelope. It is considered a parcel then. Sometimes, you get lucky and sometimes you do not get so lucky. It's a gamble.

I would take the first order to the post office to see what the actual cost is and how it can be shipped for future shipments and then compare that to eBay shipping rates.

But the OP wants to ship as  a parcel.  Whether or not it's marked "Do not  bend," the rigid piece is not eligible to be mailed as a flat (AKA Large envelope).

There is no need to consult with the Post Office clerk when there are plenty of fellow sellers and USPS publications online for reference with all of the relevant details that the individual PO clerk might not be familiar with.  The price you pay at the PO counter will always be higher than what you pay for the same service on an eBay shipping label (except for Media Mail, which is the same).

But I agree with you about not bothering to put "Do not bend" on the envelope.  The sorting machinery can't read, and when a carrier has a handful of bendable items to put into your mail box, it doesn't matter whether one of them has 'Do not bend" written on it.   As the USPS memo points out: If you want it to not be bent, then make it not bendable!

https://about.usps.com/postal-bulletin/2007/html/pb22213/updt.3.2.html

Message 9 of 20
latest reply

Per the clerk told me at the post office you can put "mailman do not bend" and send it not as a parcel. Ans she actually did that for me. The things one can learn going to a real post office. Or perhaps it only happens at my post office. Don't know.

Message 10 of 20
latest reply

She has literally not read the memo.  So I'd have to agree that probably this just happens at your Post Office.

USPS has specific criteria for whether an item is flexible or rigid.   If your piece is considered rigid then you just can't mail it as a flat.

Message 11 of 20
latest reply

That's interesting. I never knew the maximum thickness rule. A few weeks ago, I sent a water bottle in Priority Envelope and that expanded the envelope to about 6" thick, but it made it to its destination. 

Message 12 of 20
latest reply

The maximum thickness has nothing to do with Priority Mail.  There is a maximum thickness of 3/4 inch for a First Class flat (AKA Large envelope).

Message 13 of 20
latest reply

@kidyobbo wrote:

That's interesting. I never knew the maximum thickness rule. A few weeks ago, I sent a water bottle in Priority Envelope and that expanded the envelope to about 6" thick, but it made it to its destination. 

In addition to the advice you got above @kidyobbo from nobodys-perfect about the difference between Priority Mail and First Class Mail (letters/flats), you should not be shipping any liquids without thoroughly reviewing USPS pub 52, section 451.3.

https://pe.usps.com/text/pub52/pub52c4_017.htm

Any package with liquids has to have proper markings on the outside of the package along with orientation arrows. Liquids have to be triple-packaged, including something airtight like a ziplock bag, with enough packing material to absorb all the liquid in the event of a leak.

Mailing a water bottle in a Priority envelope violates all kinds of USPS rules and puts other packages at risk of water damage if your package gets crushed.

GLORIOUS!

Confused about the switch to eBay discounted shipping? Read this discussion to make an informed decision about opt in / opt out.
Message 14 of 20
latest reply

@wastingtime101 wrote:

@kidyobbo wrote:

In addition to the advice you got above @kidyobbo from nobodys-perfect about the difference between Priority Mail and First Class Mail (letters/flats), you should not be shipping any liquids without thoroughly reviewing USPS pub 52, section 451.3.

https://pe.usps.com/text/pub52/pub52c4_017.htm

Any package with liquids has to have proper markings on the outside of the package along with orientation arrows. Liquids have to be triple-packaged, including something airtight like a ziplock bag, with enough packing material to absorb all the liquid in the event of a leak.

Mailing a water bottle in a Priority envelope violates all kinds of USPS rules and puts other packages at risk of water damage if your package gets crushed.

I'm kind of actually figuring they meant a bottle for holding water not a bottle filled with water.  

“Birth certificates show that you were born. Death certificates show that you died. Photographs show that you have lived.” -Unknown
Message 15 of 20
latest reply