cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to get USPS Flat Rate supplies

OK, I'm asking because I'm in Canada, and Chit Chats (my shipper that ships from Niagara) used to send me boxes of them years ago... I'm now running out of stock, and I've been using a few flat rate mailers each week with my auctions.

Do the post offices just have these for me to pick up? Is it going to be limited to just taking a few, or can I get a box of 100 envelopes? I'm going to the Main St Post Office in Niagara Falls (planning a trip for our next holiday in May, it falls the week before Memorial Day, at least usually it does).

Do I have to ask at the counter, or do I help myself to what's out? If they're not out, then do I just ask? Will they have all different ones? I'd like bubble mailers (my biggest used ones) but could use some restocking on small boxes as well, and perhaps a handful of bigger boxes for the occasional big package that goes out (I don't really mail many big things from my store).

Chit Chats will accept the flat rate priority packaging if I buy the postage on eBay. They charge a per diem for packages anyway, if postage is already added.

I'm also going to get postage stamps as other posters have suggested for mailing things instead of using ESE. most of my stamp lots are under $5, and if we get past $20, usually there's many items and I buy GA service for them with tracking. I do postcards and other neat things that would be good to put stamps on the outside of the envelope.

C.

Message 1 of 25
latest reply
24 REPLIES 24

Re: How to get USPS Flat Rate supplies

@toomuchstuffagain35 wrote:

Is it possible for you to order them from USPS online and have them sent to Chit Chats adress in USA for them to bring to you in Canada?

Ah! Good idea, they even have a US shipping address in a warehouse... but alas they have specifically said no shipments inbound, unless your customer is returning something (in which case they match the return shipment with your outbound shipment and charge you a $7 handling fee to bring it back into Canada).

C.

Message 16 of 25
latest reply

@onlinecentral wrote:

Ground Advantage replaced First Class Parcel and packages can weigh more than the old 15.9 ounce limit. I use a lot less Priority Mail Flat Rate packaging. Only when it is over 2 or 3 pounds and a far away zone. While transit time has increased from 2-3 days to 2-5 days, the cost is often more economical and I have not gotten any complaints from buyers about the increased transit time. Sellers should downgrade the service in their listings from Priority to Ground to be in compliance with shipping policies.

The available selection and supply of Priority Mail packaging in a post office lobby depends upon a worker or postmaster going the extra mile and stocking their lobby. Most locations have a very limited supply compared with what you can order online, for free. Otherwise, pay for online if you want the prepaid postage items.

Next Auction Sunday I'm going to check shipping rates for GA. I'm still stuck on the old FC service being a max of 15.9 oz and then everything being priority. I think I might have mailed a few priority when I didn't need to do that, but part of that is based on laziness printing postage before gathering the items. I'm sure if I put effort into it I'd save myself money. I have a 5.80 combined shipping promo in my store to get people to buy lots of things, so it's only costing me money to ship priority when I don't need to. It doesn't cost the customer for me to do that.

C.

Message 17 of 25
latest reply

@1786davycrockett wrote:

@sin-n-dex 

Instead of hitting only the Main St. Post Office in Niagara Falls in May, why not hit a few more of the bigger post offices in the nearby area at the same time?  Many US post offices are only a few miles apart; and you might increase your chances of picking up some of the harder-to-find Priority boxes and envelopes in that manner.

Just hope both US and Canadian Customs don't pull you over on the way back, wondering why your vehicle is crammed full of USPS Priority boxes!

Chit Chats crosses the border in the biggest truck you can legally have on the road, so Customs will know when I say with Chit chats what that's all about.

What they sometimes used to ask about was why the US bank account. The first few times I went over I got the third degree like I'm laundering money in a bank account that never has more than a grand in it... now when I say my payments are in US funds (when I was paid with Paypal) that I withdraw them to a US bank, and then spend the US dollars buying merchandise in the US, that all makes sense to most officers.

I find how much of a hard time they give you or what you asked is based on how you look, what you drive, what you do for a living, and how much money you're carrying. I used to fit the profile for being potential trouble because I was poor.... now they never give me a hard time (as long as I don't try to mail eBay packages in my personal trip across the border).

C.

Message 18 of 25
latest reply

@chapeau-noir wrote:

Just FYI - I've never seen the priority bubble mailers, but the rest of the flat rate stuff is usually stocked. Also, my local post office has 'leave and take' next to the display - people leave boxes they won't use and you can take what you need - oftentimes these are not the flat rate supplies, though.

I use far less priority boxes, though, with the new Ground Advantage.

That's the second time in this thread someone's suggested trying GA for over 1 lb. I'm often stuck in my old ways of doing things, so the forum is helpful to give me new ideas (and I'm all for saving money).

Working on a plan to get some bubble mailers shipped to a US address if my friend agrees.

C.

Message 19 of 25
latest reply

@solidguitar1961 wrote:

@toomuchstuffagain35 wrote:

That's complicated by the OP being in Canada although she ships from USA.

My bad I thought they had a friend in the USA , didn't realize it was a company .

I didn't realize my friend had a US address until he volunteered it yesterday when I told him about not being able to get eBay supplies because they charge shipping to Canada. He'll probably agree to me ordering priority mailers.

I do have around 275 flat rate letter mailers though sitting in my basement that I don't use much except for mailing stamps. Taped well I can probably have coins in there if it's not too heavy (and I feel the need to ship priority). Sometimes when I send a more expensive coin I ship priority... but that's a toss up because I don't want someone to see the priority mailer and identify it as something with value.

C.

Message 20 of 25
latest reply

Yes, you definitely need to check out GA, but I imagine even if you use Priority mail that flat rate is costing you unnecessarily.  Unless your package is really heavy, using weight based priority mail would be better than flat rate. 

Message 21 of 25
latest reply

@sin-n-dex wrote:

@inhawaii wrote:

It's a crap shoot.

Some post offices will have them in stock, some don't

Some will give you as much as you want, some wont.

If you ask for too much they'll tell you "order them online".

I want 100 Priority Bubble Mailers in a box... you're probably right they'll want me to order online, however if I got 20-25, I'd be good for three months. I use about 3 per week with auctions, but that will change in a few weeks when it's just single coins (I'll be able to ship them under 15 oz, thus no Priority is needed).

C.

PM me if you're interested in me sending a box to you.

I'm sure just paying for shipping would be too costly.

Do you live near the border?

Can you have it shipped to someone on the US side then pick it up from them?

Smoke From A Distant Fire - Sanford Townsend Band
Message 22 of 25
latest reply

@fern*wood wrote:

Yes, you definitely need to check out GA, but I imagine even if you use Priority mail that flat rate is costing you unnecessarily.  Unless your package is really heavy, using weight based priority mail would be better than flat rate. 

The guy who buys tokens and gets 18 lb packages gets good value with the priority shipping boxes (we use medium boxes). I've sometimes used priority boxes because I didn't have a suitable size box to put something in (but that ends up costing me).

I just went to print my shipping labels for today's sale, and one of them is a coin holder which I estimate would be 2 lbs to ship with extra cardboard. It came to 6.12, so basically the GA was the best solution on this thread for what to do about these mailers... it's kind of like I won't really be needing them anymore, but if my friend agrees we'll get a box of 100 bubble mailers to have on hand. I'm kind of running out, so I'd like more, but I suppose if I could get say 20-25 at the post office, that would probably be fine and I can top off my pile at home.

C.

Message 23 of 25
latest reply

@inhawaii wrote:

@sin-n-dex wrote:

@inhawaii wrote:

It's a crap shoot.

Some post offices will have them in stock, some don't

Some will give you as much as you want, some wont.

If you ask for too much they'll tell you "order them online".

I want 100 Priority Bubble Mailers in a box... you're probably right they'll want me to order online, however if I got 20-25, I'd be good for three months. I use about 3 per week with auctions, but that will change in a few weeks when it's just single coins (I'll be able to ship them under 15 oz, thus no Priority is needed).

C.

PM me if you're interested in me sending a box to you.

I'm sure just paying for shipping would be too costly.

Do you live near the border?

Can you have it shipped to someone on the US side then pick it up from them?

Shipping would be insane, but I doubt it costs more to go from Hawaii to Canada than from New York to Canada.

My friend told me last night he has a US address, so I'm waiting confirmation if it's OK to use it for this. I know he won't want any taxable items to be shipped there, but eBay mailers are free with the coupon (and taxes are based on what you paid), and he'll probably be OK with some bubble mailers being shipped... but with the advice on this thread, it looks like I'm going to do GA a lot more now. (And my bubble mailers for doing GA in various sizes showed up at Chit Chats today... I buy from them because they're cheaper, they're the yellow manila kind with bubble padding.)

C.

Message 24 of 25
latest reply

@fern*wood wrote:

I was thinking the same thing. Wondering if anyone was going to mention that. PM Flat Rate packages are a ripoff unless you're shipping several pounds of merchandise. The OP is selling coins and it would have to be a pretty sizeable purchase for a Flat Rate PM package to be a better deal than a regular PM package that is priced by weight and zone.

Now that Ground Advantage offers the same insurance as PM it is a more competitive option for shipping as it is much less expensive and might take maybe one or two more days at the most to arrive.

Just because the packages are free does not make PM Flat Rate the best deal - and if you still want to go PM instead of GA you can order non-Flat Rate PM packaging as well. The non-Flat Rate packaging is also free to order. You just need a U.S. shipping address to receive it.

Message 25 of 25
latest reply