cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How should I fully handle a Lost Package situation and how does it affect me as a seller?

Hello Ebay Community.

I have a rather odd situation here with regards to a recent sale.

I started selling again about 5 months ago and have been trying my best to be the best seller I can be and making sure everyone is happy with their purchase(s).  With this belief, my recent feedback and happy buyers, have shown that I hopefully am doing well in this aspect.

This brings us to the current issue...  After shipping about 20+ orders with ZERO ISSUES, recently, I shipped out a package Via Fedex, from a local third party shipping location (which I've used multiple times in the past 5-10 years with no issues), and there are ZERO scans.  All the label says is "Label Created," which was on February 14th, 2 weeks ago.

I went to the shipping location a week ago, Last Monday, and they showed me their shipping area(very small) which I didn't see the package, and they said that sometimes the Fedex Driver might not scan a package right away and it might happen after a few days once it's dropped off at a Distribution Center, but I found this odd that there is nothing at all 2 weeks later.  I asked if this happens a lot to them and they said it can sometimes happen, but rarely.  This was a large package containing a PC Computer Case, sized 17x16x10(or 11) and weighs 15lbs, so it's not something tiny to lose.

I tried to file a claim online via Fedex last week, and the claim was denied because the package "Wasn't tended to" even though I provided a receipt from the shipping location, as well as the reciepts of the sale from Ebay.  It's funny, because as I went to drop off the package the guy kept telling me to take a photo of the label as he might not always be able to give a receipt...  Which I said as others say the receipt is used to verify it was dropped of, I already have the label...  The Receipt is important, especially for situations like mine.  Apparently that guy was the owner...  Not a pleasant experience with him, twice.

As of now, the package still has no updates, so I would like to know my next options.

From what I see from here https://community.ebay.com/t5/Shipping/What-to-do-with-Lost-Package/td-p/31405815

The buyer should request an "Item not Received" to which I will refund his money.  

The thing is, from here, what happens?  Does this affect me in any way with the buyer requesting the INR?  From what I see, I should be okay as long as Ebay doesn't get involved, which they shouldn't because I will be refunding the buyer right away.

The thing is, I noticed in the seller tab, there is a section that breaks down how well you're doing, and I'm "Above Standard" with 100% across the board on everything.  I noticed in one of the shipping tabs it mentions "Scanned on time with shipper."  To which I'm wondering if since this was never scanned in....  Will this affect me in some bad way?  It says that this value is based on 3 month periods, but I've heard that you can get penalties for not being a good seller, including additional fees and such.  I just want to make sure that something that was out of my hands, wont affect me.

Next, I am looking to call up Fedex to request a trace/internal-tracking to see if they can find this package and figure out what is going on.  I just find it really odd that the package has ZERO scans, and the owner just rubbed me the wrong way at this shipping place, but I just don't see someone trying to not send out a customer's package if they are the owner...   I say this because the interactions with him were just weird to me.

I'm not sure if I can even get my Money back from Fedex at this point since there are no scans at all, or if I just have to hope that the package makes it.

The thing is, who is at fault here?  There are no scans, so can the shipper location be held accountable?  The buyer said that there should have been a receipt from the Fedex driver addressing what goods were picked up... Does anyone know if this is true?  Should there be some sort of receipt from the Fedex driver to the shipper location?  I also thought about asking the shipper location to let their driver(s) know a package went missing, which I thought about after my last visit, to see if they can find it that way...  But at this point, who knows what truck gets used, etc.

So overall I'm just looking for next steps.

It seems my next steps are:

1.  Buyer sends INR request and I refund him right away.

2.  I contact Fedex to try to see if they can find it with their own internal tracking.

3.  What penalties, if any, would I get from this situation?  Will it affect me?

4.  Who is at fault here for the lost package?  Fedex or Shipping-location because there are no scans?

I feel extra bad because this PC Case was apparently for the buyer to use to build a computer for a customer/client of his...  I'm not happy about this, I feel like I dropped the ball big time, even though this wasn't my fault that Fedex/the-shipper lost a package.  Most of my items are tech and regular collectibles, but this was one of the only ones that could have been to be used for someone else, or as a gift for someone else.

I believe that is everything.  Thank you so much to everyone who has some advice, I really appreciate it.  I hope this isn't that bad of a situation for me as a seller(besides losing some money).  I can't believe that after 20+ packages, this issue happens....

Thank you

Message 1 of 7
latest reply
6 REPLIES 6

How should I fully handle a Lost Package situation and how does it affect me as a seller?

When is delivery expected? And eBay usually gives a few days after expected delivery date.

Is this an item being delivered in USA? And I usually google buyer's address to check if address is not a forwarding hub outside USA to somewhere else. Something leaving from USA will show no tracking until it physically enters another country.

If buyer opens a INR (which he has to open a case) you still get a few days before giving a refund. We don't just hand out refunds.

I get Fed Ex packages all the time and notifications daily. Never had a problem with them.

I have packages coming from outside USA and my packages will not show any movement until they are physically in the USA. My packages were sent on Feb 20th...and I am not worried.

Message 2 of 7
latest reply

Ah, I apologize, I forgot some of that basic info.

Delivery was supposed to be between 23rd and 28th, and tomorrow is the day when the INR can be filed apparently.

This item was to be delivered in the USA, from the USA, yes.  

"Something leaving from USA will show no tracking until it physically enters another country."

I find this to not be true with regards to international packages.  It will show tracking until the hub(which I've seen in KY and OR), and then goes out to their country.  I've had 4-5 international packages this way and just sent a package to Mexico and one to Canada which both have tracking(the one from CAnada was sent the same day as this issue package, so I could see it got updates when the FEdex one did not).  These were all USPS packages though.

What exactly does "opening a case" entail?  From what I read in the other thread, you basically have to resolve the buyer's issue with either a refund or replacement, or if not then it gets escalated to Ebay... Is this not true?

Yes, I don't want to just give the money back, but I just hoping to not have any penalties to my account and just want to do what's right, and since there is no movement at all....  I just don't see this actually being delivered.

I cannot say about packages received out of the country, but all of my USPS packages had tracking going out of the country, maybe Fedex is different?

Message 3 of 7
latest reply

Having a receipt from the drop off location won't help much with FedEx.

Without an acceptance scan from FedEx, there's no proof they ever received the package.

After the estimated delivery date, if it doesn't show up, you'll have to refund if they file an INR.

Even though it's not your fault, you're still responsible for the package until it is delivered to the buyer.

1 INR case shouldn't hurt as long as you handle everything and don't get Ebay involved.

Have a great day
Message 4 of 7
latest reply

When you drop off a package to FedEx or UPS it is crucial to get a receipt and that the receipt has the tracking number on it. I have had that happen a few times over the years with FedEx, UPS, and USPS, with no tracking or receipt they will always deny you and there is almost nothing you can do about it. Sometimes packages don't scan into the system, even if you are there in person and see them scanned in by an employee right in front of you.  You can't trust items will always be scanned into a carriers' system (especially with USPS); when it comes to expensive items, drop them off and ask for a (printed paper) receipt every time.

And, here is another tip, KEEP THE RECEIPT for at least 6 months, the minimum time period buys have to challenge items not received via eBay, PayPal or CC chargeback.

Message 5 of 7
latest reply

Thank you.  Would you say that the shipping location should have been given some sort of receipt and would they be liable?

I understand about the INR, and completely am going to do what i must to satisfy the buyer, but it's a shame.

That's good to hear the INR case shouldn't hurt me.  It's definitely not my fault wit htat.

Message 6 of 7
latest reply

I have the receipt from drop-off, and uploaded that to the claim , displaying the tracking number, and that wasn't good enough for Fedex it seems.  I read that they have to have an actual scan.

I always make sure to get a receipt for the reason to validate the claim if they received it or not.  Clearly, that's not good enough and means nothing.  What am I supposed to do  if no one's taking responsibility for the lost package?

So what are your thoughts now that you know I have the receipt?  It doesn't seem that the claim will be handled without escalating via a call, as I'm not sure if I can do this online.

Thank you for the information on the receipt keeping info.  I'll try to make sure I keep it, but I usually message all my buyers asking if they received it, if it was packaged well (because I always want to make sure I'm doing my best), and if everything is as it should be and that they are happy with their purchase.  Usually they tell me they received it, which is now in the system so if they try to dispute it... That would be silly.

I actually never thought about someone trying to dispute a claim after the tracking confirmed it these days, but I guess people will scam if they have the chance.

In reference to this, I actually had an incident here  on Ebay 10+ years ago, before Tracking and Insurance with USPS was one....  I had a family member send out a package for me since they were using the car, and they didn't get tracking just insurance on the package(yeah.....)...  The buyer then claimed they didn't get it, and filed a claim, to which when I went to the USPS store, the USPS guy told me that Insurance is also tracked, and that he usually doesn't/cannot do this, but he felt for my situation and helped me out, to which the insurance tracking told him it was in fact delivered, and then I was able to dispute that.  Sadly, the person didn't do anything at all during the dispute except file a claim, and then after the claim was up, they won the claim with no proof, when I had proof.... and even though I believe I got to keep my money and they got a refund... They also got the phone (and I also included a free 2gb[which was large at the time] sd card for free).  They ended up coming back the day the claim was up and they claimed...  That they had a death in the family and was MIA for 2 weeks because of it and magically, the day of the claim, life is better and they can use a computer... Yeah sure thing lady....

Message 7 of 7
latest reply