cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How many buyers pay more $ in shipping to return item than what they paid for actual item?

Returns, returns, returns....   I don't know if this is part of the "new mentality" or just not thinking things through...

Just curious... how many sellers out there are seeing ridiculous returns where shipping costs more money than the item itself or comes close to the same?

Our personal favorite:  buyer could not fit into pants that were purchased on clearance for $9.99.  They shipped them back in a priority bag with insurance and signature, paid over $10 for all the services....   (actual label was over $13)

Recently, person buys earrings for $7.99, which turn out to be "too big" for them (mind you, we provide measurements.)  Anyhow, will be returning....  so, they have to drive to the post office and buy postage for this item at minimum $2.67.

Can someone please explain the logic?

Thank you.

Message 1 of 10
latest reply
9 REPLIES 9

Re: How many buyers pay more $ in shipping to return item than what they paid for actual item?

Honest people who have no clue about shipping?

The easier you are to offend the easier you are to control.

We seem to be getting closer and closer to a situation where nobody is responsible for what they did but we are all responsible for what somebody else did. - Thomas Sowell
Message 2 of 10
latest reply

Re: How many buyers pay more $ in shipping to return item than what they paid for actual item?

I had buyers return shoes to me. I accepted returns for shoes previously but because so many people decided to return, I changed my policy. One buyer purchased the shoes, paid $12 shipping. She told me that they didn't fit so we started a return. Never heard from her again. I don't think it'd be worth it for her to spend another $12 for shipping.

Another buyer returned shoes, said they were too big. Cost $9.xx to ship, will cost $9.xx to ship back to me. In total, the person spent $18 to return shoes. Might I also note that I also have very clear pictures, and a ton of measurements involving each pair of shoes. I felt like neither buyer read the measurements and just assumed that just because it was a certain brand, that it was guaranteed to fit.

They're both obviously honest buyers which is good enough for me.
Message 3 of 10
latest reply

A lot of buyers don't realize that for fit issues/remorse, they don't get a full refund. And some also don't realize that they have to pay to ship the shoes back. Thats why a lot(but not all) of buyers are never heard from again once the return has been accepted. When the return is accepted, ebay shows them their refund amount and offers to sell them a shipping label and thats when they realize that its not worth it to return the shoes.

One life is all we have to live
Love is all we have to give

**Formerly known as MissJen316**
Message 4 of 10
latest reply

I don't get it, and I offer free shipping on most things. Ebay wants us to offer 60 day returns and free return shipping for whatever reason. Who can afford to do that? The return shipping would take away my profit on most items. I have never returned anything on ebay.
Message 5 of 10
latest reply

We've never returned anything on eBay either.  We rarely return anything as it is to time consuming and a profit loss for sellers, which in turn raise prices to cover returns.

Message 6 of 10
latest reply

Most buyers have absolutely no idea how shipping costs until THEY have to pay for it.

Message 7 of 10
latest reply

@tweetystwades wrote:
I don't get it, and I offer free shipping on most things. Ebay wants us to offer 60 day returns and free return shipping for whatever reason. Who can afford to do that? The return shipping would take away my profit on most items. I have never returned anything on ebay.

Ebay has forgotten about the little guys. They think all sellers can and should function like the big mega sellers & cover shipping both ways. 

One life is all we have to live
Love is all we have to give

**Formerly known as MissJen316**
Message 8 of 10
latest reply

i am not happy with ebay return policy as a seller , seems to only  benefit buyers .

Message 9 of 10
latest reply

I've never shipped anything back that i brought online.

i agree that some buyers don't have a clue how much shipping actually costs especially if they are buying from a china seller until they have to return something.

I was behind a lady at the post office. she had 2 dollars in her hand.  she was shipping back shoes.  she couldn't beleive it when the postal clerk told her it was $10 something, don't remember the exact change part.  She thought 2 dollars was going to cover the shipping. she said she only paid $9.99 for the shoes  with free shipping. I tried to tell her she would be money ahead just to throw them away or put them in the goodwill box across the street  but she insisted she wanted her $9.99 back so she got out her credit card and charged it to that.  i think she was so overwelmed that it cost so much to ship them back she wasn't comprehending that she was going to get less money back and she was better off keeping them

Message 10 of 10
latest reply