cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Shipping on invoice twice as high as what was estimated

I placed an offer for an item a few days ago, and prior to placing the item, the shipping and handling on the listing showed two shipping options: 

Expedited Shipping - $83.70 

Standard Shipping (fedex ground/fedex home) - $39.90

The seller accepted my offer, however, the shipping options on the invoice now show up as: 

Expedited Shipping - $83.70

Standard Shipping (fedex ground/fedex home)- $81.77. 

That's more than twice what was originally estimated! Is this normal? I tried contacting the seller, but he hasn't responded to my messages. Do i have any options or am i bound to these shipping options and prices. 

Message 1 of 6
latest reply
5 REPLIES 5

Sounds like you used the Best Offer option.

The problem with BO is that shipping doesn't have to be the same as what was stated in the original listing.

Don't know why but that's a eBay thing.

And I don't know how to resolve this cleanly.

Wait for another response; someone may have a solution.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Describe it as if there are no pictures.
Take pictures as if there is no description.
Message 2 of 6
latest reply

I know with FedEx, at times, the rates change when the shipper goes to create the shipping label.  It happened to me once at three (3) times what it said online than when I went to pay in purchase 😞  I used the USPS amount because it was an Express shipment and either way, I had to have it in either's possession by a certain time.  It was a larger box but I could not see me paying triple the amount just because it was FedEx.  

I've only made one BO and the shipping did not change when the seller gave the price that she wanted.  Hopefully, one of the more seasoned/experienced responders will pop in to help.

Message 3 of 6
latest reply

This has been a ongoing problem with fedex 

“Birth certificates show that you were born. Death certificates show that you died. Photographs show that you have lived.” -Unknown
Message 4 of 6
latest reply

@daveroo wrote:

Sounds like you used the Best Offer option.

The problem with BO is that shipping doesn't have to be the same as what was stated in the original listing.

Don't know why but that's a eBay thing.

And I don't know how to resolve this cleanly.

Wait for another response; someone may have a solution.

This is incorrect. Shipping DOES have to be the same as what is on the listing, the seller cannot change the shipping cost. Best offer is for the item price only, shipping is not negotiable and the seller cannot accept an offer and then send an invoice with an increased shipping cost.

aside from the known fedex calculator error that eBay won't fix, I'm wondering if the system automatically chose one of the shipping options because it's a BO. Sounds like the first option was automatically chosen.

One life is all we have to live
Love is all we have to give

**Formerly known as MissJen316**
Message 5 of 6
latest reply

It's supposed to be the same but the last offer I made, the shipping went from $12 to $24.95. I paid it but I was not happy, I no longer make offers.
Patricia
eBay member for 25 years
Message 6 of 6
latest reply