cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How do you estimate shipping costs for a buyer when using the EIS program?

Hello, everyone!

I was approached by an Australian buyer who expressed interest in items from four of my listings.  She requested that I create shipping bundles that do not exceed her duty-free threshold, AUD 1000 (or about USD 670).  I was able to do that fairly easily, and she and I seem to be on the same page with respect to what the pricing of the two resulting lots will look like.  What I’m having trouble doing, however, is giving her a shipping estimate for these two parcels.

My buyer understands that since I’ll be using the EIS program, there are two shipping legs to consider – the domestic leg from my location to the eBay hub in Chicago; and then the second leg from Chicago to Australia.  I’ve told her that I’m happy to provide “free shipping” for the domestic portion of the journey, but I have no idea how to estimate what eBay will charge her for the international portion.  Is there an online resource that can help with this?

I’ve used eBay’s shipping calculator before to provide domestic customers with quotes for custom orders, and I’ve found it to be very accurate.  I was able to use it to obtain two USPS ballpark estimates for my prospective buyer’s two parcels going from Chicago to Australia, but of course, that tool assumes that *I* am the one doing the shipping and that USPS will be the sole courier – and in this particular case, it will be eBay who will be managing the shipping and selecting the courier once everything arrives in Chicago.  I have no idea how far off the quotes I’ve obtained from that tool are from what my buyer will actually be charged.  If I could provide my buyer with a firmer shipping quote, she may decide that it’s cheaper to ship everything in one parcel, even if she has to pay additional taxes/duties. 

Before I create two new listings and go through all that entails (kill four active listings, take new photos, write descriptions, etc.) for a sale that may not move forward, I thought I’d see whether anyone here has faced a similar conundrum.

Thanks in advance, and Happy Holidays!

Kevin

Message 1 of 17
latest reply
16 REPLIES 16

Re: How do you estimate shipping costs for a buyer when using the EIS program?

biggest thing for you right now is.................... as you already know..........................  is to not have the same item available in two different listings that can be purchased.

Message 16 of 17
latest reply

Re: How do you estimate shipping costs for a buyer when using the EIS program?

@stainlessenginecovers 

Before I wrote my post I went to ebay Australia. I wasn't signed in but the listings showed me a shipping cost to Canada or showed me that the seller didn't ship to Canada. I was signed into .com on the same computer so that might make a difference but I still say that it is easier for the seller to temporarily change their location to Australia to see what the buyer sees.  

Message 17 of 17
latest reply