cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How do I ship together items that were paid separately?

A person bought two items from me and paid for each separately (shipping was included in each price). I would like to mail them together in one envelope. I printed postage for one item with enough weight to include both items. When I went to add the tracking number to the second item, I got this message: "This tracking number is already associated with another active shipment."

Would anyone please explain to me how to ship them together and get a tracking number good for both? Thanks!

Message 1 of 16
latest reply
1 BEST ANSWER

Accepted Solutions

Re: How do I ship together items that were paid separately?

In the future, use Bulk Shipping which will easily allow the combining of two (or more) orders.  It will automatically upload the tracking to both items.

I think your voiding of the label is what's causing it not to work properly now.  The CSR gave you bad advice.

As another poster said - enter the (combined) tracking number through PayPal for the second transaction.  It should populate in eBay.

Was this a guest buyer?  with the same ID for both purchases?  If not, then it will not be possible.

While combining would save you money, it won't save your buyer any.  They paid the two shipping costs that were rolled in the item price (free shipping).  If you end up shipping seperately, it would be no different to your bottom line than if two different customers had purchased.  To avoid more frustration and potentially more label voids, I might just ship them seperately at this point.

View Best Answer in original post

Message 15 of 16
latest reply
15 REPLIES 15

I called eBay and they told me to void the label and then go to Bulk Shipping and combine the two. Now I get the message, "Can not combine selected shipment."  I was told the reason is that the first one is still pending.  

Message 2 of 16
latest reply

I would ship them separately.

"It is an intelligent man that is aware of his own ignorance."
Message 3 of 16
latest reply

Unless you want eBay to give them back their money for one item-ship them separately.

Good Moms let you lick the Beaters.

Great Moms turn them off first.
Message 4 of 16
latest reply

I am not charging them twice.  The shipping is free.  

Message 5 of 16
latest reply

My question is: how do I package them together with the same tracking number?  This has nothing to do with shipping costs.  

Message 6 of 16
latest reply

@auntmame wrote:

My question is: how do I package them together with the same tracking number?  This has nothing to do with shipping costs.  

You would have to enter the same tracking number for both.  However, my initial suggestion still stands.  I would ship separately if they were paid for separately.

"It is an intelligent man that is aware of his own ignorance."
Message 7 of 16
latest reply

Thanks for your help but as I said before, the shipping was FREE for the buyer.  The buyer has not paid a dime for shipping.  I simply want to ship both orders in the same envelope.  In my original question, I said that I could not enter the same tracking number because it is associated with another active shipment.  

Message 8 of 16
latest reply

you can go to the PayPal transaction and enter the #.

there will be a delay in it showing up in eBay.

Message 9 of 16
latest reply

I'm surprised that no one has given you the simple answer yet:

You buy your shipping label using one of the items, adjusting the weight/class of service information manually as needed. Then you manually entered the tracking number for the other transaction. Cut and paste.

Message 10 of 16
latest reply

Ok my room is spinning right now but I think the OP already tried that by adjusting the shipping on one. The only thing I can think of is they don't have combined shipping allowed. If they did, they should be able to void the first label and reprint both through bulk shipping. The bulk shipping will automatically ask you if you want to combine any listings going to the same address. If combine shipping isn't allowed both have to be shipped separately.

Happy New Year!!!!!

Message 11 of 16
latest reply

OP~~Even buyers know there is no such thing as free shipping.  YOU built the shipping cost into the price of the item.  You don't get free shipping when you print your label~~you pay for it.

MANY buyers aren't happy when they know they paid shipping on the multiple items and the seller tossed them into the same package and pocketed the profit.  They expect to get a refund of some of their $$ they paid for shipping when the seller sends everything in one package.  They paid for shipping EACH item so ship them in 2 packages.

You do realize that should something go wrong you will have to issue TWO return shipping labels?  Each transaction item has to be returned with its own tracking number.  You are leaving yourself open to an INR by combining the shipping.  You only have one tracking number to prove delivery of one item.  They may get both items but you can only prove through tracking that you shipped one.

I always ship items separately to avoid any problems later.

Message 12 of 16
latest reply

You will not be able to add that same tracking. This is happening more frequently now that ebay is allowing people to drop in and buy with temporary id without acct and although it is same Buyer. It creates problem with combined ship.  You need to ship separately but you definitely will not be able to add same tracking number. I know and think ebay is ridiculous to do this.

You can also cancel both order and inform buyer they should re purchase under one id.

This is one of those dumb ebay idea

Message 13 of 16
latest reply

Also, with being a TRS you will get hit with a "tracking not uploaded and validated" on your account if you can't supply a tracking number for the 2nd item.  Another good reason to just ship 2 packages.

Message 14 of 16
latest reply

In the future, use Bulk Shipping which will easily allow the combining of two (or more) orders.  It will automatically upload the tracking to both items.

I think your voiding of the label is what's causing it not to work properly now.  The CSR gave you bad advice.

As another poster said - enter the (combined) tracking number through PayPal for the second transaction.  It should populate in eBay.

Was this a guest buyer?  with the same ID for both purchases?  If not, then it will not be possible.

While combining would save you money, it won't save your buyer any.  They paid the two shipping costs that were rolled in the item price (free shipping).  If you end up shipping seperately, it would be no different to your bottom line than if two different customers had purchased.  To avoid more frustration and potentially more label voids, I might just ship them seperately at this point.

Message 15 of 16
latest reply