cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Help! Can Someone Explain to Me Why Ebay Found in Their Favor?

Buyer purchased something on June 1st. It was mailed to them on that day via USPS international first class mail. They didn't receive it and opened a case on July 17th. I immediately provided tracking to ebay, and it seems it has been hung up in Mexico City since June 8th. Even tho I updated tracking, they found in the favor of the buyer and gave them a refund. Why? 

I have appealed the decision today. Waiting for a decision. But why would they still find in the buyer's favor if the Mexican post office lost it? I would think that if it wasn't "end to end" tracking, it would have stopped showing up after it left the U.S., but it didn't. If someone could explain that to me too, it would be appreciated. 

Screen Shot 2023-07-27 at 10.48.12 AM.pngScreen Shot 2023-07-27 at 11.03.44 AM.png

Message 1 of 8
latest reply
1 BEST ANSWER

Accepted Solutions

Re: Help! Can Someone Explain to Me Why Ebay Found in Their Favor?

@toomuchstuffagain35 wrote:

They were refunded because your tracking doesn't show delivery to the buyer.

But, the buyer knows that too and probably does have it.

I agree with this assessment, I think the buyer is taking advantage based on the informed comments they put in their claim.

Unfortunately @gloryglorygifts , you used a service without door-to-door tracking so you cannot prove delivery. eBay requires proof of delivery for seller protections on item not received claims.

You shipped using USPS First Class Package International which offers edelcon service to a very  short list of countries. https://pe.usps.com/text/imm/immc2_022.htm

If you ship to Mexico or any country not on that list, you're taking a risk of paying out on INR claims just as you did with this transaction. USPS Priority International offers tracking to more countries, or there's eBay International Shipping which you can use for countries like Mexico that don't qualify for edelcon with USPS First Class Package International.

View Best Answer in original post

Message 4 of 8
latest reply
7 REPLIES 7

Are you in the Ebay International shipping program? If yes, ebay gave them the refund. You still have your money.  Now if the refund came out of your pocket and you are in the program, you need to contact ebay to get your funds. Ebay promises sellers in the program that they will not lose their funds.  I am thinking that perhaps it was a courtesy refund on ebay's part to keep buyer happy.   I do see that it says delivered to agent. 

Message 2 of 8
latest reply

"If a product doesn't sell, raise the price" - Reese Palley
"If it sold FAST, it was priced too low" - also Reese Palley
Message 3 of 8
latest reply

@toomuchstuffagain35 wrote:

I agree with this assessment, I think the buyer is taking advantage based on the informed comments they put in their claim.

Unfortunately @gloryglorygifts , you used a service without door-to-door tracking so you cannot prove delivery. eBay requires proof of delivery for seller protections on item not received claims.

You shipped using USPS First Class Package International which offers edelcon service to a very  short list of countries. https://pe.usps.com/text/imm/immc2_022.htm

If you ship to Mexico or any country not on that list, you're taking a risk of paying out on INR claims just as you did with this transaction. USPS Priority International offers tracking to more countries, or there's eBay International Shipping which you can use for countries like Mexico that don't qualify for edelcon with USPS First Class Package International.

Message 4 of 8
latest reply

I normally do use the ebay international shipping program but no, this one I used USPS through Endicia.com. The refund was given to the customer with my own funds, and it was a special order for this guy. Made specifically for him (he contacted me before purchase). Lesson learned I guess. No more shipping to Mexico.

Message 5 of 8
latest reply

Very helpful! Thanks. 

Message 6 of 8
latest reply

Actually it was a glitch in the system because I appealed the decision and won. They claimed that I didn't provide tracking, which I did. It just shows up in a one line statement on the day the case was initially opened but it is there. Must have been an oversight on their side so, as I got an email from an ebay agent with an actual name, and  they gave me my money back. I am very happy about it.

Thanks to you all for responding!

Message 7 of 8
latest reply

Honestly, this does not appear to be a glitch. I think you got very lucky with the wording on that tracking scan. I would not expect the same seller-protection outcome on future shipments if you don't have confirmed delivery.

The scan "delivered to postal agent" probably got you protections because domestically with USPS there's a "delivered to agent for final delivery" scan that qualifies as delivered. That's in eBay's policy. They are not the same scans, but they are similar.

So whichever rep reviewed your appeal probably saw that in the policy and didn't factor in this was an international package to Mexico and "delivered to postal agent" was not a delivery scan. I tracked your package on parcelsapp and it's pretty clear there wasn't final delivery on tracking scans.

But it's good to hear you were credited back those funds.

Message 8 of 8
latest reply