cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Free shipping scam beware, Cost me $100 dollars

I won an item for $6 dollars and says free shipping on listing, I payed for the $6 Christmas item and was charged another $100 for the free shipping. Total  $106 dollars. tried to cancel immediately and ebays system wouldn't  let me. I contacted ebay and they were no help . I'm trying to get ahold of seller.  Anyways to let all buyers and sellers know that is can happen to you, what a mess. Just wanted to give a fun white elephant present for christmas and this turned out to be a big mess. Scary stuff. I can upload all the screen shots if needed. 

Message 1 of 77
latest reply
76 REPLIES 76

Re: Free shipping scam beware, Cost me $100 dollars

@farmalljr wrote:

I would expect free shipping no matter how big or heavy, if a seller lists it that way. Mistake or not, the seller is the one in charge of creating their listings and making listing mistakes.

At least this violation by the seller is clearly identified in the eBay Shipping Policy pages: 

"Sellers must not:

[...]

• Include any additional fees for handling and packaging when offering free shipping"

Ref: https://www.ebay.com/help/policies/listing-policies/shipping-policy?id=5035 

Message 31 of 77
latest reply

I think they are in Chino, California - ie, not China

Message 32 of 77
latest reply

@ajs_coins_and_alchemy wrote:

FYI ... it appears Seller has relisted the item as a BUY IT NOW for $299

I'm not seeing that relisted item.

albertabrightalberta
Volunteer Community Mentor

Message 33 of 77
latest reply

The seller still hasn't canceled and I reported seller online. Makes me nervous  if I want to purchase something on ebay next time. Crazy stuff. Ebay shouldn't allow this to happen in the first place.

Message 35 of 77
latest reply

Was the payment automatically completed without any ability for you not to complete the transaction?

Message 36 of 77
latest reply

@moonbeamcollectibles wrote:

What is really weird is that it show ls that they are from both California and China in the sellers location settings. I think their China sellers trying to pretend their in California.

@aproudparent2010 wrote:

Your seller is registered in China, could that be the reason why they sent $100 shipping fee?

The listing states: "The product has been packaged and stored in the warehouse in the United States."

albertabrightalberta

Message 37 of 77
latest reply

@moonbeamcollectibles 

Most likely they are drop shippers located in China, but have their vendors in Cali ship their orders.  It is permitted on eBay, but most times it doesn't always work in the sellers favor.  Many have no idea what their even doing...obviously.

Sounds like this seller is new & very inexperienced.  Sorry.  I would go to the Facebook page that others have suggested and see what they have to say. 

https://www.facebook.com/ebayForBusiness/

Chances are this seller won't be a seller much longer.  eBay will catch up with them & their bad seller behavior and probably kick them to the curb.  eBay looks out for their customers most of the time.  

Good luck and hope things work in your favor.  

Message 38 of 77
latest reply

@buyselljack2016 wrote:

@thelongball 

. If they end up shipping it to you just request a return thru eBay as a item not as described.

---------------------------------------------------------------------

Opening a "false" claim, and suggesting that someone open a "false" claim are violations of eBay policy.

But it's not a false claim. Item was described as $6 winning bid with free shipping. That is improperly described if the buyer had to pay $106. 

albertabrightalberta

Message 39 of 77
latest reply

@wonderdogdawn wrote:

I think they are in Chino, California - ie, not China

Seller is registered in China but item(s) ship from "a warehouse" in Chino, California. 

Screenshot 2023-10-30 at 2.29.10 PM.pngScreenshot 2023-10-30 at 2.30.43 PM.png

albertabrightalberta

Message 40 of 77
latest reply

Never really got an answer from the OP.

Why would you pay $106 then contest it later?

Undone - Bachman & Cummings
Message 41 of 77
latest reply

@thelongball 

If they end up shipping it to you just request a return thru eBay as a item not as described.

Opening a "false" claim, and suggesting that someone open a "false" claim are violations of eBay policy.

Gray area with regards to NAD since the item was posted with free shipping and the buyer got hit with $100 shipping cost. Possible request for partial refund of the $100 shipping cost. While seller may have made an error they need to stand behind their agreement and chalk it up as a lesson learned. I have made a few of these errors over the years but it was my error and I shipped the item and took the loss. 

Message 42 of 77
latest reply

I emailed to seller and they still haven't refunded my money.

What is their deadline for shipping the item and what is the expected delivery date? If you want the item simply ride out the order until the shipping and receiving dates have passed. There is a chance the seller may ship the item, once received you can work the $100 shipping overcharge. If you cancel or request to cancel or ask for a refund you are letting the seller off the hook. 

Message 43 of 77
latest reply

Its not a false claim as it isn't as described, it was described as free shipping and it wasn't free shipping. 

That is the worse description someone could do

Message 44 of 77
latest reply

@buyselljack2016 wrote:

@thelongball 

. If they end up shipping it to you just request a return thru eBay as a item not as described.

Opening a "false" claim, and suggesting that someone open a "false" claim are violations of eBay policy.

Well it's technically NAD if the shipping was supposed to be free and they charged the buyer $100 for it.

"If a product doesn't sell, raise the price" - Reese Palley
"If it sold FAST, it was priced too low" - also Reese Palley
Message 45 of 77
latest reply