cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Filing claim for damage with USPS when using Ground Advantage

I am supposedly insured up to $100 for Ground Advantage but when I tried to file claim the website stated not elegible.   Anyone filed a claim for GA?

Message 1 of 23
latest reply
22 REPLIES 22

Re: Filing claim for damage with USPS when using Ground Advantage

I shipped a home theater receiver I sold for $110 on 2/22/24, $78 label bought through eBay, using a Staples package shipping location, USPS drop-off place. The employee gave me a receipt. It was supposed to take at most 8 business days. USPS tracking never accused receipt of the package from Staples, no one could find the package, ever. So, after all this time, the buyer obviously thought something was wrong. Last week I refunded him all the money he paid through eBay. Yesterday, 3/19/24, the package arrived destroyed in the destination (a Yamaha home theater receiver), his house. The receiver was broken into pieces, wouldn't turn on (I have a photo from it powered on with the shipping label in front, as if I were feeling something was going to happen). So, it got there a day after I contacted Staples headquarters to report it missing (USPS never acknowledged receiving it) and they replied back saying they were investigating. Now I saw that if I file a claim (for the $100 they cover) USPS may require the package with the broken product, but it's with the buyer and I am the one filing the claim, because I own the product and I bought the shipping label. USPS' form asks for the amount of extra insurance I bought, so I'm wondering if this will ever work.

Message 16 of 23
latest reply

I tried a staples once. 

I realized that their 'receipt' is pretty much trash and their system isn't linked to the USPS tracking.

Never went back again to drop off packages. I was hoping it could be a good spot to drop off packages on Sunday. Nope.

Message 17 of 23
latest reply

It's a pain!  If you ship something to your customer and the USPS damages it, they will be required to take the damage contents to the local US postal center.  Customers will NOT be too happy doing that.  I've brought this to eBay's attention.  They don't see to care.  The ebay rep asked me to let the buyer file a Item received damage , then have the buyer ship the item back.  I was then to refund the buyer only 50% due to the item damaged upon receiving it.  In other words, I was to act as the buyer had damaged the item upon returning it to me!  I told eBay that this was **bleep**.  This will cause us to receive negative feedback.  USPS Ground Advantage is a joke and so is the Seller protection.  

Message 18 of 23
latest reply

I read 30 days

Message 19 of 23
latest reply

I brought this to eBay's attention.  They did not seem to care.  I told them that I purchase labels from the eBay website and that somebody better get it together.   The buyer is required to send my damaged poster tube and poster on my dime, then after uploading ALL REQUIRED DOCS, I still need to drive to the post office, stand in line to get $24 dollars back?  NOT gonna do it.    I told eBay that I'm telling my buyers that the package is ensured and if they have issues, they can file claim.  See how this goes!

Message 20 of 23
latest reply

I'm letting all my customer know that their item is insured.  If they have an issue, they are to contact their local USPS center.  See how this goes.  I have had three claims denied by USPS Ground Advantage.  Aparently, they wanted the BUYER to take the damaged items to the USPS center.  I refunded one buyer.  The other buyer took the item and the letter they received and the local post office told him that they did not know what to do.  I ended up giving the buyer a full refund.  I called eBay and was angry.  They asked me why I gave the buyer a full refund?  They wanted me to issue him a 50% refund and call it a day.  I told the eBay rep "How would you like it if you received a damage item and I only refunded you 50% claiming that you returned the item to me damaged".  I got a coupon for half the cost of what the poster sold for as Seller Protection.  If you call eBay, they will NOT help you with USPS Ground Advantage.  Even though we purchase labels off their site!  LOUSY! 

Message 21 of 23
latest reply

Since both Staples and usps handled the transaction, I'd try to make Staples responsible.   I shipped a UPS parcel through Staples, properly insured.  UPS denied the claim as they always do, so I filed a complaint with the state department of consumer affairs naming Staples.  Staples corporate called me wanting to make good on the damage.    It looks like usps is playing the same types of games UPS has been engaging in for years, denying claims and abusing the customer.    The are a ruthless company.

Message 22 of 23
latest reply

How did you do this? Did you use the USPS site, or eBay? Is there a link you could provide me with?

Message 23 of 23
latest reply