cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

FedEx Smartpost Pricing - More than Doubled?

I ship via FedEx Smartpost very often on my seller account for cheap, but larger packages, especially across the country. I went to print some labels today and the prices have more than doubled. They are more expensive than FedEx Ground which is a quicker and better service. I usually can send a 5lb package to the West coast from the East coast for $10-14, but now the price shows as $27.00 (FedEx Ground is $20). Even within a few hundred miles, the price usually is between $5-9.00, the price quoted now is $14.00. Does this have to do with the updated USPS pricing or is it some other error with eBay? 

Message 1 of 71
latest reply
70 REPLIES 70

Re: FedEx Smartpost Pricing - More than Doubled?

FedEx shipping tool on Ebay site is not working.  I verified with Customer Service yesterday.  I also shp primarily FedEx Smartpost.  They do not have an ETA as to when this will be fixed, so I'm shutting down my store until it is.  Otherwise, I have to call them everytime I want to print a label so that they credit my account for the difference between what the buyer paid for shipping and what the FedEx label is saying it should be.

Message 16 of 71
latest reply

It's a glitch in the system. Ebay does not have an ETA as to when it will be fixed.
Message 17 of 71
latest reply

I came here pretty much for the same reason - except that in my case Smartpost option was always showing the customer the rate that was lower than the cost of the label, despite me being very careful about selecting store rates. But message received - no Fedex until this gets sorted out.
Message 18 of 71
latest reply

Is that confirmed. Seems like it may not be a glitch
Message 19 of 71
latest reply

I am currently going through all 275 of my listings and changing the ones with Smart Post shipping. What an unbelievable pain in the rear. I had 6 shipments today and they averaged between $15-$25 more than what the buyer paid. Argh.

Message 20 of 71
latest reply

Fedex Smartpost rates are incorrect as well as some ground. It was all over the board over the weekend with 12.00 smartpost rates coming up as 28.00- 35.00 and some 21-23.00 ground rates changed to 145.00. Its incorrect. Look up 2017  and 2018 Smartpost rates on Google these on eBay are definately wrong. Why use smartpost if its more than USPS priority, Its stupid. We all know calling eBay is like pulling teeth and every time I get the great Idea to call them, I tell myself DONT DO IT!@!... but I did it anyway today after a weekend of fedex pricing all over the place when tried to print labels on a bunch of packages. What a mistake that was, just the same **bleep** starting out with a low level unskilled rep answering from the comfort of his home and then being passed to 4 other depts. to be told in the end it was Fedex not Ebay and nobody had a clue what I was talking about(just like all my other calls over the last 10 years). Called Fedex right after and they said eBay handles everything on ebay and they have nothing to do with. Currently, its still messed up! The next time I get the great idea to call eBay would someone please just stab me in the eye with a fork!

Message 21 of 71
latest reply

List them all as economy then you get to pick the cheapest service depending on where its going. I suspect the smartpost will be fixed as soon as they figure out the glitch or realize they just priced themselves straight out of the market.

Message 22 of 71
latest reply

Here's what current rates are supposed to be:

https://www.efulfillmentservice.com/shiprates/fedex-smartpost-2018/

Message 23 of 71
latest reply

From your link, "Parcels are charged based on the actual weight or the dimensional weight, whichever is greater." So if they are indeed now doing dimensional weight pricing, it doesn't matter what your package actually weighs anymore, right? If it's less than the dimensional weight, they'll charge you for the higher rate anyway. Boooooo, So this chart is a bunch of hooey if you have things like I often do, quilted weekend bags or backpacks that need an 18" x 14" x 5" box but weigh only 3 1/2 pounds, As I said, boooo.

Message 24 of 71
latest reply

On the other hand you can legitimately list an item at what Eb calls "economy rate" i.e. Fedex SmartPost , let Eb legitimately charge your customer that rate, then delightfully surprise them with cheaper, expedited, super fast USPS Priority in half the shipping time (and pocket the difference.) They'll truly appreciate that, Smiley Wink

Message 25 of 71
latest reply

There are some glitches, but Smartpost rates for large packages are actually going to cost those high prices due to dimensional weight unless eBay wangles some serious discounts.

The game has completely changed people. You all just can't seem to wrap your heads around the fact that most of this is not a glitch.- Smartpost is NOT what it was last year and may no longer be an option for anything over about 10 lbs and largish.

1. FedEx Rates (including Smartpost went up an average of 5% or so on Jan 1.
2. The better 166 FedEx dim weight divisor from 2107 went away and is now 139 - that means that dimensional weight for a given size pacage is 166/1309 = 1.2 times what it was last year
3. Smartpost rates as of 1/22/18 are now based on greater of dimensional weigh or actual weight

The above means huge increases for some packages.

From my example in my post above: 16" x 13" x 12" 4 pound box going across the country. eBay price was $10.59 and is now $35.47. The $10.59 amount is what I paid for shipping these last year on multiple occasions. and the $35.47 amount is what the eBay calculator is estimating today.

Dimensional weight = 16 x 13 x 12 / 139 = 18 pounds So that 4 pound box ships actually ships at an 18 pound rate starting 1/22/18. We go to the Smartpost "by pound" rate table and look up a zone 8 base rate for 18 pounds and we get $34.76 Have to add in 5.75% Fuel Surcharge ($2.00) for a total of $36.76

(the eBay label page comes up with 7¢ less at $36.69 as the transportation charge - an ongoing oddity where Fuel Surcharge randomly isn't the published one)

So $36.76 is the manually calculated list rate amount for that shipment. How much lower that goes totally depends on what sort of discount eBay provides. In this case, eBay came up with only a 4% discount with an eBay price of $35.47

That is the ONLY THING in contention here. What sort of discounts will eBay provide on these new higher prices? My records showed the discounts ranged from about 4% to 19% last year depending on weight, cost, and the phse of the moon, so I wouldn't expect much in the way of rates ending up much lower than undiscounted.

To recap: the higher FedEx Smartpost rates you are seeing are not a mistake. They are the new rates.

There was an issue with the listing and search result and checkout calculators charging less than the new rates for Smartpost and it looked VERY ROUGHLY like those calculators were not considering dim weight. That would explain why buyers were charged less starting on about 1/21/18 (when eBay updated the label calculator).

Just checked one of my listings (for which I am going to remove Smartpost option for now). 3 pounds and 20x15x7 Listing shows Smartpost to zone8 cost of $10.11 while the label calculator comes up with $32.27 (triple!!) I worked backwards by plugging in dimensions of 6x6x6 that don't trigger dim weight and the label calculator came up with $10.13 - a match for the other calculators.

In this case, the listing, search, and I assume, checkout calculators are still ignoring dimensional weight and charging far less than the actual cost. That needs to get fixed ASAP. @Anonymous @dcintennessee
Message 26 of 71
latest reply

I currently am removing fedex from my listings and adding shipping to cover additional cost.
Message 27 of 71
latest reply

@berserkerplanet- if I understand correctly, the very simple answer is:

SmartPost is no longer a budget-friendly option, so remove it from your listings. ASAP!  Until ebay corrects the shopping cart, YOU will pay the new increased rates, and Buyers are being charged the old, lower rates. 

Going slightly off-topic, but no need to start a new topic for my mini-rant. I purchased a curtain rod "elsewhere." Paid $19.80, with free shipping because my total order exceeded the free shipping threshold. It shipped California to Tennessee, FedEx HD. Box was 66x6x6, 2 pounds 15 ounces. It would cost me $32.59 to ship that package between the same two zip codes. Amazon has HUGELY preferential shipping contracts with USPS and FedEx. As long as eBay was (successfully) the home of the quirky, cool, collectible and hard-to-find items, that discrepancy was less important. But, if eBay is pinning its growth plans on mass-market items (and evidently it is), they need a much tougher negotiator at the tables later this year when discounts are set for 2019.

Message 28 of 71
latest reply

@mikescuriouscurios, that only works for "free" or flat rate shipping. With calculated shipping, we have to select the actual methods offered. I was alerted to the SmartPost rate increase yesterday when I sold an item with free economy shipping. It was 12x7x9, 3 pounds 10 ounces. I was shocked to see that SmartPost was $12.58, and PM was $8.43. If this buyer had been further away, I woulda been toast on the sale. I don't have many free shipping listings, but they're all changing to calculated, pronto.

Message 29 of 71
latest reply

Yes, you are right. I was (after I wrote that and researched more) shocked as well at the new Smartpost rates the further and heavier you go.. They're certainly not very... smart... any more.

Or should I say it "smarts" more to use them...

Message 30 of 71
latest reply