cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ebay not allowing Sheet Music to Ship Media Mail under Sheet Music Category

Noticed that as of yesterday 7/12/21 I was not able to select "media mail" for my sheet music. After speaking with (2) different people from eBay I was first told to list my sheet music under "books & magazines" in order to get media mail. I explained how this did not make any senses as I just spent hours adding in eBay's "required" item specifics to all my sheet music because "eBay" said it would make it easier for customers to find my "sheet music". Now they are telling me to take it out of the correct category and put it in "books & magazines". Now when I use Terapeak and search "sheet music" and look at the categories it sells under there are only 6,292 that have sold under "Books" category, but 46,443 have sold under the correct category which is "Musical Instruments & Gear/sheet music/contemporary or vintage". I refused to accept that as an answer so I requested to speak to someone higher up. After a long time of waiting the next person explained to me that I could keep my sheet music under the "Musical Instruments & Gear" category I just had to change what she called the "subcategory" of "Musical Instruments & Gear/Instructional Books/ CD & Videos" in order for it to give me a "media mail" shipping label. Now I ask you does this make sense? After all this work we as seller's put in to edit our listings so that eBay can guide our buyers in the right direction of what they are looking for and now you want the sellers to put something in the wrong sub category because its easier for eBay to monitor the "media mail" option.... this is absolutely stupid! Sheet music is clearly listed on the USPS website as being permitted to ship "MEDIA MAIL" and eBay has a category specifically for "Sheet Music" but you don't want me to use that you want me to use "Instructional books/CD & Videos". Now how does this make sense? Is anyone else having issues with this? I mean if you want everything to be more specific why would you then ask us to put things in the wrong "subcategory"? 

Message 1 of 13
latest reply
12 REPLIES 12

Re: Ebay not allowing Sheet Music to Ship Media Mail under Sheet Music Category

@motorcityunique wrote:

Now how does this make sense? Is anyone else having issues with this? I mean if you want everything to be more specific why would you then ask us to put things in the wrong "subcategory"? 

This is the third thread in the last 24 hours or so regarding the mess ebay has created with Item Specifics as it applies to Media Mail.  Coincidentally (addressing others), this illustrates the "shoehorning" problem I mentioned in the auto parts manual thread to a tee.

As for the media mail question, you will have to buy it from the Post Office, Paypal, or Pirateship.  There will be no discount involved at any of these sources compared to what ebay charges, so you won't be out anything by not using Ebay for your postage.

Message 2 of 13
latest reply

brian@ebay
eBay Staff (Alumni)

@motorcityunique there is a known issue that is causing Media Mail to be grayed out in some valid categories. We're working to resolve this. Thanks!

Brian,
Community Team
Message 3 of 13
latest reply

I had the same thing happen to me today.  I was listing in the music category, vintage song BOOKS.

evry1nositswindy  •  seller since 2013
Volunteer Community Mentor

Message 4 of 13
latest reply

Thanks for the update. I too had this issue today but with a separate category besides Sheet Music.

I have been listing my antique Edison Cylinder music records in the Edison Phonograph category. That's where most people list and buy them from. I've never had issues shipping them Media Mail until today. 

Message 5 of 13
latest reply

This is good to hear because I am selling books under the Games...Roleplaying Games section...Horror and it won't let me select Media Mail.  Yes, they are more than 8 pages long.  Best Regards.

Message 6 of 13
latest reply

Hello Brian and thanks for the replying. My concern is I've spoken to (5) different people in different departments at eBay and only (1) of them said it was a issue that eBay is working on and will be fixed. The rest of the people told me that it is the USPS that is doing it and they have no control over it and it was not going to change so I should just change all of my sheet music to the "Books/Magazine" category. So what I really want to know is: Is this a problem that will be fixed? Or Is it a permanent change?

Thanks so much

Message 7 of 13
latest reply

thorz09, we have a comment from someone that looks to be an eBay employee (not sure if that is correct) stating it is an issue that they are working on. So hopefully that is true and they will fix it, otherwise I am moving over to Pirateship and once I do that I will never print another shipping label from eBay again. 

Message 8 of 13
latest reply

While they're at it, is there any chance they can also work on discontinuing the practice of forcing collection of state sales taxes on items that the states have specifically exempted?

If you have never owned a dachshund, no explanation is possible.
If you have owned a dachshund, no explanation is necessary.
(with apologies to St. Thomas Aquinas)
Message 9 of 13
latest reply

You'll be much happier.

Don't forget to contact them via chat after you've got your account and ask them to turn on return labels. Just in case you ever need them. 

If you have never owned a dachshund, no explanation is possible.
If you have owned a dachshund, no explanation is necessary.
(with apologies to St. Thomas Aquinas)
Message 10 of 13
latest reply

Yes I have completely switch ALL of my shipping to Pirate Ship and you are right it is GREAT! I did not know about the return labels so I will do that right away. Thanks for the info.

Message 11 of 13
latest reply

Going on three years now, still hitting it hard I'm sure...

Message 12 of 13
latest reply

Hi everyone,

Due to the age of this thread, it has been closed to further replies. Please feel free to start a new thread HERE if you wish to continue to discuss this topic.

Thank you for understanding.

Message 13 of 13
latest reply