cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ebay charging me Twice as much for shipping than usps

Today, checked behind ebay shipping charge against usps…. Same exact dimensions, exact weight and same address…. Ebay shipping label cost after my ebay discount was $44.46…. Went to usps site, entered identical information, cost was $25.45! Almost $20 difference out of my pocket, however the good news (snicker) I could use my funds they are still processing despite they stated release was supposed to be a day ago…. Wonder? Keep funds in process so you have to use there shipping label system, ebay allows sellers to use funds in process for purchasing label. 
Question the ethicality of charging twice the amount of postage costs and who really is getting the kickback….. they hold money, charge sellers the fees for postage charged customers and then double the actual cost of postage, skimming another $20 off my work.

Message 1 of 18
latest reply
17 REPLIES 17

Re: Ebay charging me Twice as much for shipping than usps

Hmmm... I don't know what you did, but USPS bought through eBay has a commercial discount which you won't get at the USPS site or at the PO. I'm not so certain that you entered identical information on both...

Message 2 of 18
latest reply

Do not know how you managed to obtain USPS rates from eBay that were more than what you could buy thru Click and Ship on the USPS website.  Have not seen that happen before. 

Message 3 of 18
latest reply

@mtgraves7984 wrote:

Hmmm... I don't know what you did, but USPS bought through eBay has a commercial discount which you won't get at the USPS site or at the PO. I'm not so certain that you entered identical information on both...

Something is awry.

Message 4 of 18
latest reply

$44.46 is the online price to ship a 53-pound package to Zone 3 via Priority Mail

$25.45 is the retail price to ship a 21-pound package to Zone 3 via Priority Mail.

Looks like you didn't enter the same information for both calculations.  Most likely you entered the wrong dimensions, and the higher eBay rate is due to the package incurring the dreaded "dimensional weight" for packages over 1 cubic foot.

The amount of the "eBay discount" is no secret -- it's the regular published online Commercial rate which you can see in their official rates publication, Notice 123:

http://pe.usps.com/cpim/ftp/manuals/dmm300/notice123.pdf

Message 5 of 18
latest reply

@calntom wrote:

@mtgraves7984 wrote:

Something is awry.

The sold listing shows only $15.71 to ship the Nu Grape sign to me in Tennessee, and I know that wouldn't have covered it... so it appears there was confusion from the get-go.

@estate*treasures*discovered 

Also, your funds are probably on hold under the 'New seller' (returning seller) rules... not just slow-walked for a shipping label. You might want to tick on this link and read through it. Good luck. >> Payments on hold | eBay

Message 6 of 18
latest reply

The shipping calculator in that listing is set up to charge the online rate for a 14-pound package, which seems reasonable for that item. The online Priority Mail price to Zone 4 for 14 pounds is $15.71.  

Message 7 of 18
latest reply

Yep, 14# sounds about right. I only assumed (with proper packaging) that it might pick up the new size surcharge...

Message 8 of 18
latest reply

The new size surcharge that kicks in at a length of 22 inches is just $4. I suppose a 16-inch fragile item, properly packed, might exceed that.  

Message 9 of 18
latest reply

Same thing happened to me, charged twice the shipping amount to the buyer and never gave me the funds to purchase the shipping.  

Message 11 of 18
latest reply

@bkantiques wrote:

Same thing happened to me, charged twice the shipping amount to the buyer and never gave me the funds to purchase the shipping.  

@bkantiques 

If your buyer paid for shipping (I see that in 3 of your 4 sold listings), then that money will come to you. Your Payout might be on Hold due to being a fairly new (or returning?) seller, but the money the buyer paid for shipping is yours, less the FVF.

To pay for shipping labels with pending Payouts, simply click the preference at the bottom left of the label page. The actual shipping cost will be deducted from the Payout.

If you've accidently used PayPal on the label page and your label was paid for that way... you'll receive the full Payout with no shipping cost deducted from it. Trust me... the buyer's shipping payment is yours, less FVF, of course.

Message 12 of 18
latest reply

@estate*treasures*discovered wrote:

Can you review to see what I did?

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/hr6c7vwg6382mft/AACGnuzvlwLqyU_XZANEBfgLa?dl=0

With the eBay quote, it is assessing a Zone 3 shipment with a dimensional weight of 26 pounds ... the commercial price for this is 29.46.  But the USPS now has a surcharge for packages over 2 cubic feet, and that surcharge is $15.  Thus, 29.46+15.00 is 44.46.

The eBay price looks like the correct price.

The USPS site is not quoting properly for a non-rectangular quote (it works properly for rectangular).   For some reason, it is capping your package size at 2 cubic feet (a 21# dimensional weight instead of 26#), and thus you are not getting the $15 surcharge added.  It is charging you for Zone 3 shipping with a dimensional weight of 21 pounds.

The USPS site looks like it is in error.

Message 13 of 18
latest reply

I spoke with Ebay directly this evening.  First with a customer service person in training, then withe a supervisor.  I asked her why the buyer was being charged twice the actual shipping rate.  Her answer was as follows:  I, as the seller receive a discount on shipping from Ebay.  However, the buyer pays the full shipping price without a discount.  Regardless of the fact the shipping was half the cost.  She said "unless I, as the seller puts in my auction listing that the buyer should receive the same discount that I receive, they will be charged the regular shipping fee."  I told her I thought was illegal.  She responded "many Ebay sellers have voiced the same complaint."  What does that do to correct the problem? On top of that Ebay charged me a 6% seller fee on the item final price, the buyer's double shipping fee, plus the sales tax they were charged!  I told her again, that did not seem legal.  She again said many sellers have complained.  Through her direction I went to the payout explanation and the fees I was being charged for that specific auction.  In those fees were charges for other auctions such as a "bold" fee, and an "international listing fee" for two completely different auctions!  Then there is the worst fee of all...I was being charged because the buyer for this specific auction had a registered account in China, despite the fact I shipped it to Florida!  I was never alerted or told the buyer had a registered account in China and I would be charged a percentage based on the final price, double shipping, and sales tax. 

Message 14 of 18
latest reply

Walked package into post office with my shipping label attached to verify if all correct and it was spot on. Ebay was overcharging for shipping... 

Message 15 of 18
latest reply