cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ebay Standard Envelope Shipping USPS

I had a buyer get a postage due delivery today for almost 5 dollars for a 10 dollar item that weighed  under 2 oz and was in a small envelope that I paid the 2 oz shipping price for. I've shipped over 100 items this way in the past 2 months and not had one come up like this.

Is there anywhere I can go to try and challenge the postage due or am I pretty much just stuck with it?

Message 1 of 11
latest reply
1 BEST ANSWER

Accepted Solutions

@darkaine wrote:

Trading cards in a plastic sleeve on a piece of cardboard. Definitely wasn't that flexible but I've sent 30+ envelopes with the exact same configuration the past month and another 70+ with a slightly thinner card holder in it and none of those had issues. 

I guess it just depends on how the post office feeding system feels that day. 

and there is also the possibility that it was a decision made at the PO where the ESE was being delivered.

Some sellers in the western US had a Postmaster (or person in charge) that regularly refused the use of the ESE postage items, insisting that they needed an additional payment for a "non-machinable" surcharge. Not as costly as insisting that it is a "package", but still disruptive to the sellers businesses.

View Best Answer in original post

Message 8 of 11
latest reply
10 REPLIES 10

The weight is not the only determinant of the shipping cost. If the envelope had something rigid inside and was thicker than 1/4" it would qualify as a package. Postage could easily be around $5+, depending on your and the destination ZIP code.

If your envelope wasn't thicker than 1/4", you would need some kind of proof about that. Maybe the buyer could send some photos of the package with a ruler showing the thickness.  I buy shipping labels online from a private company. They have a link where to challenge these charges. I presume, you used stamps, so there is no such option for you.  Probably, you could call the central USPS number, or go to your local PO and ask the postmaster how to challenge that. You could perhaps take one of your similar envelopes to postmaster and show him/her what have you been mailing all the time without being charged (or rather the buyer) extra

Message 2 of 11
latest reply

@darkaine 

What was the item that you shipped?

How flexible was the envelope?

If the envelope can not bend nearly in half, it will be kicked out of the USPS automatic feeding system, and marked "nonmachinable."

Message 3 of 11
latest reply

I used the ebay shipping service they offer not stamps and it was under 1/4 of an inch. I've sent at least 30 of the same envelope with the same sized thing inside of it with no issue in the past month plus another 70+ with a slightly thinner holder in it. 

Maybe I'll look into a private shipping type seller in the future because this ebay standard envelope service has been......iffy at best sometimes. 

Message 4 of 11
latest reply

Trading cards in a plastic sleeve on a piece of cardboard. Definitely wasn't that flexible but I've sent 30+ envelopes with the exact same configuration the past month and another 70+ with a slightly thinner card holder in it and none of those had issues. 

Message 5 of 11
latest reply

@darkaine 

"Definitely wasn't that flexible"

Then there's your problem.

The automatic roller systems are high speed (32,000+ envelopes her hour), and the envelopes MUST be flexible to zip around a whole series of fixed-in-place rollers, with a curvature that nearly bends the envelope in half.  

That one ESE must not have been sufficiently flexible, and was kicked out.

Message 6 of 11
latest reply

I would agree except when I say i've sent 30+ of the exact same configuration envelope using that service in the last month I mean identical in flexibility, size and weight so it doesn't really make sense. In addition the 70+ other ones were the same envelope with the same rigidity so while I'm glad I didn't get postage due on 100 items it seems there is a consistency problem here.

Oh well just is what it is, thanks for the info I appreciate it!

Message 7 of 11
latest reply

@darkaine wrote:

and there is also the possibility that it was a decision made at the PO where the ESE was being delivered.

Some sellers in the western US had a Postmaster (or person in charge) that regularly refused the use of the ESE postage items, insisting that they needed an additional payment for a "non-machinable" surcharge. Not as costly as insisting that it is a "package", but still disruptive to the sellers businesses.

Message 8 of 11
latest reply

According to multiple post offices near me the ESE guidelines by ebay are exactly opposite of the post office rules. They are now refusing to mail any envelopes without a non machinable surcharge. No matter what I do they bend and manipulate the envelope until they locate the coin, and immediately claim it is too rigid, therefore I owe more money. Spent two hours this week at the post office trying to get a clear answer. According to Russell Illinois, and pleasant prairie wis. offices there is no way to send a coin without the surcharge. I have sent hundreds of these with no problems until now. I feel like It's extortion, give us more money or we won't send your envelope (that I already paid for and is within the rules).  Not worth the hassle. Shipping has become too expensive to continue selling on ebay. Just FYI if you complain at the Pleasant Prairie post office be prepared for your stuff to go missing. I will be leaving my geodes up for sale as they go ground advantage (also a ripoff, IMHO) but I am finished selling coins. Also both postmasters told me they would automatically reject any insurance claims involving coins or currency, even though there are clear rules regarding collectibles being OK to mail. Be careful Ebayers!  

Message 9 of 11
latest reply

I actually was amazed when coins were included in the categories for ESE. I would think that they would be considered too rigid.

I have decided that this service is too mind boggling for me. My best results in getting scans are in packaging which is too rigid for the service.

I am quite willing to not offer items which are not worth the cost of shipping by Ground Advantage.

Message 10 of 11
latest reply

so how are u supposed to ship a trading card using ebay standard envelope?????

Message 11 of 11
latest reply