cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

EMS Package Processed Through Facility in NYC for 1 week Options

Hi, had anyone before dealt with late EMS (Express Mail Packages) or maybe even lost?
I shipped internationally  (from Bosnia and Herzegovina) to the United States, and it entered on December 16th the US, (Processed through our facility in NYC), but still no any update for whole 7 days!! It's expensive item (pre-owned fox fur coat) - 775$ and I am starting to worry that it's lost or stolen even maybe.
Thank you very much in advance for any of yours experiences and suggestions.

Message 1 of 11
latest reply
10 REPLIES 10

Re: EMS Package Processed Through Facility in NYC for 1 week Options

Patience Grasshopper.

ALL carrier systems are extremeley overloaded right now with record package volume.  Things are taking many days longer than 'normal'.

Forget keeping up with the Joneses. Be the Finklegrubers!
OK kids, time to get the Dodge loaded up again. I hear 'Poppy's By the Tree' calling. This trip might be a long one too.
Message 2 of 11
latest reply

Yes I know that but still this is Express Package and now it's been 10 days since last update.

Message 3 of 11
latest reply

@ervinfurs wrote:

Yes I know that but still this is Express Package and now it's been 10 days since last update.

The class of service concerns US Customs not in the least. Their job is not to expedite the mail; it's to spot contraband and levy import duties.

New York has got to be one of the busiest, if not the busiest ports of entry. Definitely worse at this time of year, too.

I once had a collection of trading cards from Italy held in customs for 3 weeks. It had obviously been inspected and re-sealed. Whenever you import something of measurable value, there are certain risks with customs clearance, and spot inspection is one of them.

Message 4 of 11
latest reply

@ervinfurs wrote:

"Express" and "EMS" refers to the speed it gets handled by your Postal Service and what speed it will be handled by the receiving Postal Service ...

In between the 2, there is Customs....which is outside the control of both the sending and receiving Postal Services. This is the government at work 😉 And the service used to post the item matters not one whit. If they are backlogged, there is nothing to do but wait 😞

penguins_dont_fly is a Volunteer Community Mentor
Buying and Selling since 2013

Message 5 of 11
latest reply

Yes but how long.? This is not cheap stuff unfortunately. If it were I would not think about it for a second. I started request on this case in my post office last week and today got answer through my post office from USPS that mailpiece is still not found. Lmao as I don't see it on tracking. What do you think whom should I call in US for this - customs in NY or USPS? 

Thanks for help.

Message 6 of 11
latest reply

If USPS can't find it, I think US Customs is your best bet, and may have been your best bet all along. In any case in which a package crosses national borders, a delay at customs is the most likely cause of a long delay.

Message 7 of 11
latest reply

What USPS mail service product does your EMS become known as --

once it is passed on to the USPS for domestic delivery?

@ervinfurs

You should know that USPS deliberately hides tracking for some services:

http://about.usps.com/postal-bulletin/2015/pb22424/html/info_002.htm

This makes it easier for your buyers to claim Item Not Received.

Message 8 of 11
latest reply

Thank you. I still hope that's not the case with this particular issue, because each time before they showed clearly on USPS site all tracking details up to being delievered (even and only for EMS with signature confirmation; for other - priority packages for example - just "delievered"). I hope this will not  be exemption now. 
But thank you anyway for your information, I didn't know that, and it's so odd. I hope so much this will end up well and from now i will use DHL or some oder private postal service for shipments to US. 

With My Kindest Regards,

Message 9 of 11
latest reply

@ervinfurs wrote:

Thank you. I still hope that's not the case with this particular issue, because each time before they showed clearly on USPS site all tracking details up to being delievered (even and only for EMS with signature confirmation; for other - priority packages for example - just "delievered"). I hope this will not  be exemption now. 
But thank you anyway for your information, I didn't know that, and it's so odd. I hope so much this will end up well and from now i will use DHL or some oder private postal service for shipments to US. 

With My Kindest Regards,

I just re-read your original post.

Besides customs being backlogged from holiday shipments ... you shipped a fur coat ... They have probably side railed it for CITES inspection (species of Fox, age of fur) ... which can cause a significant delay 😞

https://help.cbp.gov/app/answers/detail/a_id/64/kw/import%20of%20fur/session/L3RpbWUvMTUxNDU2MjUxNy9...

penguins_dont_fly is a Volunteer Community Mentor
Buying and Selling since 2013

Message 10 of 11
latest reply

Yes I know about CITES, but I never send something that requires CITES Permit (and fox fur is among most popular fur animals which neither species is listed on endangered species list of CITES - I mentioned exactly type of fur (scientific name of animal as well) and that it's pre-owned what can easily be spotted on fur coat, all that on customs form along with package. I assume that it's really under inspection regardless of my description of content (and I hope it will not last long enough) and that they will release it soon after they find out that all stated on form is regular and legit.
Thank you anyway for your help.
(And yes, I called today US Customs in NYC and lady with whom I spoke with told me shortly that package with my tracking number is not in Customs).. I am almost sure it is in fact (just wasn't scanned), but let's see what's gonna happen. 

Message 11 of 11
latest reply