cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Does this buyer really expect a refund on INR?

I just had a INR case opened by a buyer who said tracking showed his item was delivered yesterday but he never received it.

He stated that he received THREE packages yesterday but mine wasn't one of them.  I asked him if his mailbox may have been full so the carrier may have taken the package back to the post office?

His answer~~"There should have been plenty of room as THE OTHER TWO PACKAGES WERE SMALL".  I replied asking him how big the THIRD package was (which was most likely my package)?  So far no reply.

Message 1 of 32
latest reply
31 REPLIES 31

Thank you~~with tracking showing it was delivered yesterday I'm not giving the buyer a refund, ebay isn't giving the buyer a refund and USPS isn't giving the buyer a refund.  Yes, it was insured but the buyer is out of luck (as I would be) in filing a lost insurance claim~~it wasn't lost~~it was delivered.  With the buyers feedback left history I tend to believe it was indeed delivered yesterday.

Don't get me wrong~~if the buyer had a legit claim I would be MORE than happy to give him a refund and file an insurance claim but he has no legit claim.  His mail was delivered yesterday at 12:36 so most people get their mail delivered in the same time span every day but he spent all afternoon today denying he received it until just a short time ago when he said "it showed up today".

Message 16 of 32
latest reply

How is the buyer covered if it "never shows up"?  Tracking shows the package as delivered. 

Tracking is not proof of delivery - as is shown in this very instance.  USPS insurance pays these claims if they are filed properly. 

Message 17 of 32
latest reply

With the buyers feedback left history I tend to believe it was indeed delivered yesterday.

So you're thinking the buyer received the parcel, knew the tracking showed delivery, immediately filed an INR, then bailed on it the next day for no apparent reason?

I get at least one package each week where eBay notifies me of delivery, but it doesn't arrive until the next day or later.  Tracking would be a lot more valuable if it wasn't in the carrier's best interest to fake it when needed.

Message 18 of 32
latest reply

@couldabeenworse wrote:

How is the buyer covered if it "never shows up"?  Tracking shows the package as delivered. 

Tracking is not proof of delivery - as is shown in this very instance.  USPS insurance pays these claims if they are filed properly. 

And how is a claim like that "properly" filed? 

Message 19 of 32
latest reply

The claim must include the usual proof of insurance and value from the sender, and a statement of non-receipt from the recipient dated during the claim period.  For Priority Mail, that means the buyer's statement or signature on the claim must be done after 15 days.

Message 20 of 32
latest reply

@couldabeenworse wrote:

The claim must include the usual proof of insurance and value from the sender, and a statement of non-receipt from the recipient dated during the claim period.  For Priority Mail, that means the buyer's statement or signature on the claim must be done after 15 days.

So you have had the USPS pay you for claims that their own tracking has shown was delivered?  

Message 21 of 32
latest reply

@green-night wrote:

A couple of times I have been able to get a "see if it was misdelivered to [house on another street with similar number].  I usually tell them no YOU check with the other house - you were paid to deliver it.

How does that work out for you? 

Surprisingly well!  They soon find they brought it to the wrong house or that it is on teh shelf waiting to be picked up (though no notice left tell me it is at the PO waiting to be picked up).

Message 22 of 32
latest reply

So you have had the USPS pay you for claims that their own tracking has shown was delivered? 

I've only personally had this experience with UPS, and yes, they paid.  But I have helped dozens of people on the boards with this issue with USPS over the last two decades.  In the early days, the sender sometimes had to appeal after initially being denied.  In more recent years, the claims have been successful on the first try, again providing the buyer signs off at the correct time.  If, for example, the OP filed a claim on day 15 but the only statement of non-receipt she had from the buyer was from Day 5, the claim would be denied.

Message 23 of 32
latest reply

"USPS mis-delivered package--says left at my front door"~~See this recent  thread.  The buyer who posted this bought a $400.00 watch from Best Buy.  Their post office found through GPS that it was indeed delivered to the wrong address because the carrier couldn't read the address.  The buyer as well as the post office went to this address and left notes to no avail to try to get the package back.

In this case I believe USPS more than likely refunded the buyer for their clearly proven mistake in delivery BUT the buyer also got a courtesy refund from ebay for their $400.00 loss.  Then, the buyer (poster) actually left a neg feedback for Best Buy saying that Best Buy had mis-shipped the watch even though it was proven it was a mis-delivery by USPS and not mis-shipment by Best Buy.

With my buyer with all his history of feedback left claiming damaged items and sellers refunding him, I have to wonder if he was even covered under buyer protection anymore.  Ebay does take buyer protection away from buyers with more than the usual claims.  I wonder if he wasn't trying the INR as a way to get a refund? 

Message 24 of 32
latest reply

@green-night wrote:

@couldabeenworse wrote:

I have has well.   I think the rumor that USPS won't pay in these cases comes from what happened in mine and what the post office told me.  The post master at my local post office told me if it snows delivered they will deny it but that if appealed the receiver just has to sign an affidavit saying they didn't get it even tho it showed delivered and they'll refund.   And they did. 

“Birth certificates show that you were born. Death certificates show that you died. Photographs show that you have lived.” -Unknown
Message 25 of 32
latest reply

@aproudparent2010 wrote:

If you uploaded tracking to the case showing delivery then call eBay and they will close the case out right away.

I had same thing happen today.

Buyer opened INR case, sent me a message saying trackign shows delivered but they didn't receieve.
I added tracking to the case and then called eBay and had case closed in my favor within 5 minutes

Well, I just got off the phone with ebay.  They have a "new automated system" and I didn't even have the option to speak to a cs rep.  Their new system told me that I supplied tracking info so I didn't need to do anything else.  Then they asked 3 questions for me to "rate" their new automated system.  I'm sure they don't care that I rated them low on their 0-10 scale.

I expected to be able to speak to a rep, have them read the message that the buyer said it was delivered and get the case closed in my favor.  I guess it doesn't work that way anymore.

Message 26 of 32
latest reply

@kattinsanity wrote:

@aproudparent2010 wrote:

If you uploaded tracking to the case showing delivery then call eBay and they will close the case out right away.

I had same thing happen today.

Buyer opened INR case, sent me a message saying trackign shows delivered but they didn't receieve.
I added tracking to the case and then called eBay and had case closed in my favor within 5 minutes

Well, I just got off the phone with ebay.  They have a "new automated system" and I didn't even have the option to speak to a cs rep.  Their new system told me that I supplied tracking info so I didn't need to do anything else.  Then they asked 3 questions for me to "rate" their new automated system.  I'm sure they don't care that I rated them low on their 0-10 scale.

I expected to be able to speak to a rep, have them read the message that the buyer said it was delivered and get the case closed in my favor.  I guess it doesn't work that way anymore.

Weird because I literally had a INR case that shown delivered and I did talk to a CS rep....

Message 27 of 32
latest reply

IMHO, that would be a good thing.  Cases should be decided by people trained in those matters, not by some low-level operative who has to refer to his crib sheet to say "hello". 

Message 28 of 32
latest reply

@kattinsanity wrote:

"USPS mis-delivered package--says left at my front door"~~See this recent  thread.  The buyer who posted this bought a $400.00 watch from Best Buy.  Their post office found through GPS that it was indeed delivered to the wrong address because the carrier couldn't read the address.  The buyer as well as the post office went to this address and left notes to no avail to try to get the package back.

In this case I believe USPS more than likely refunded the buyer for their clearly proven mistake in delivery BUT the buyer also got a courtesy refund from ebay for their $400.00 loss.  Then, the buyer (poster) actually left a neg feedback for Best Buy saying that Best Buy had mis-shipped the watch even though it was proven it was a mis-delivery by USPS and not mis-shipment by Best Buy.

With my buyer with all his history of feedback left claiming damaged items and sellers refunding him, I have to wonder if he was even covered under buyer protection anymore.  Ebay does take buyer protection away from buyers with more than the usual claims.  I wonder if he wasn't trying the INR as a way to get a refund? 

Same with me - when the PO admitted the item got delivered to the wrong house they tried to get them back but what recipient is going to admit they got an expensive item in the mail, that they KNOW they didnt order, and plan to keep it? "What boots? I never got no boots!" (Uh huh cause $400 boots just fall from the sky for no reason.)

Message 29 of 32
latest reply

@myangelandmyprincess wrote:

@green-night wrote:

@couldabeenworse wrote:

I have has well.   I think the rumor that USPS won't pay in these cases comes from what happened in mine and what the post office told me.  The post master at my local post office told me if it snows delivered they will deny it but that if appealed the receiver just has to sign an affidavit saying they didn't get it even tho it showed delivered and they'll refund.   And they did. 

There is also a difference in what they will tell you about filing claims depending on which PO you go to.  I have been told repeatedly that whoever has the broken item is the one who files the claim and that they are gonna take it from you.   One PO tells me the seller files (since the seller paid the postage), another says the buyer because they have the item, another will tell you they have to return it to you first then file in person, another says just file online and send pictures.  And yes one airhead wanted the item THAT NEVER ARRIVED before she would take my claim for going to Atlanta and disappearing from the face of the Earth.

Message 30 of 32
latest reply