cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Disc Based Video Games & USPS Media Mail Shipping Service

Ok, I know this has been talked about before and I've searched it many times and have also asked about 10 USPS employees about it. When I list video games (just games, NOT consoles or other hardware/accessories) and go to print a shipping label after they sell Media Mail service is always available. If I list a console or say controller or power supply Media Mail is not available and grayed out, same for anything else like spark plugs, old socks, flash drive etc... that definitely wouldn't qualify for Media Mail service. Out of all the USPS employees I've asked it's about a 50/50 split on it being ok. One employee said if it's on a disc it's ok but no cartridges. Other employees say you can't at all. I know it's about the same cost to ship out 1 disc based game in case with First Class service, but when you have a lot of say 6 PS4 games all complete in original cases and your total boxed ready to ship weight is 1lb 9oz the shipping cost is less than half if not closer to a third when compared to Priority calculated rates. For example I just checked now, $3.33 to ship 1lb 9oz Media Mail, $9.16 for Priority, $9.01 Parcel Select(but who even uses this when Priority is only pennies more with insurance included?) Anyway, I just don't know why eBay has Media Mail as an option if it's not not supposed to be used. And YES, my video game listings are always listed in the correct category.  Thanks and I'm looking forward to what you guys have to say about this these days as most topics about this are very old. Happy Holidays Everyone!

Message 1 of 7
latest reply
1 BEST ANSWER

Accepted Solutions

Re: Disc Based Video Games & USPS Media Mail Shipping Service

Here's the official USPS memo, which apparently wasn't distributed to everybody. Bottom line: Video games aren't eligible for Media Mail regardless of medium (disc, cartridge). The ruling states that video games, being games, are outside of the intent of Media Mail.

https://pe.usps.com/text/csr/PS-334.htm

https://liteblue.usps.gov/news/link/2013/04apr/Media-Mail-Guidelines.htm

eBay's programming which removed Media Mail as an option for purchasing postage for items that were listed in categories that are ineligible was implemented relatively recently, within the past year or two. Apparently they overlooked some ineligible categories.

View Best Answer in original post

Message 2 of 7
latest reply
6 REPLIES 6

Here's the official USPS memo, which apparently wasn't distributed to everybody. Bottom line: Video games aren't eligible for Media Mail regardless of medium (disc, cartridge). The ruling states that video games, being games, are outside of the intent of Media Mail.

https://pe.usps.com/text/csr/PS-334.htm

https://liteblue.usps.gov/news/link/2013/04apr/Media-Mail-Guidelines.htm

eBay's programming which removed Media Mail as an option for purchasing postage for items that were listed in categories that are ineligible was implemented relatively recently, within the past year or two. Apparently they overlooked some ineligible categories.

Message 2 of 7
latest reply

Thanks for the reply. eBay really needs to remove that shipping option from the video games category because it makes it look like it's ok to ship that way. I also find it odd that some long time employees at my local post offices say it's ok as well. When I asked a few years back 2 employees heard me and one said yes while the other one screamed out no. They then debated on it and decided on yes that day. I'll go the safe route and stick to First Class or Priority like I have been doing anyway. Thanks again!

Message 3 of 7
latest reply

@wondainc wrote:

Thanks for the reply. eBay really needs to remove that shipping option from the video games category because it makes it look like it's ok to ship that way. I also find it odd that some long time employees at my local post offices say it's ok as well. When I asked a few years back 2 employees heard me and one said yes while the other one screamed out no. They then debated on it and decided on yes that day. I'll go the safe route and stick to First Class or Priority like I have been doing anyway. Thanks again!

It isn't just video games that show that "media mail" option that should not be there.

We just have to do what we know is right even when eBay, and USPS employees are sometimes in error.

I had MM show up as an option when shipping used refrigerator parts. Go figure.

Message 4 of 7
latest reply

Normally the only video games that would pass as media mail would be computer software games.

Message 5 of 7
latest reply

Sadly, no computer software games do not qualify:

CSR PS-334 -clarifies that video games, whether on CD_ROM, diskettes, or similar software, REGARDLESS of form, or playable systems including computers, do NOT meet Media mail standards

Message 6 of 7
latest reply

Hi everyone,

Due to the age of this thread, it has been closed to further replies. Please feel free to start a new thread if you wish to continue to discuss this topic.

Thank you for understanding.

Message 7 of 7
latest reply