cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Confused with the new rules for shipping lithium batteries

I haven’t shipped lithium products since last year, 

can I still ship an old 2010/13 Apple MacBook charger by usps mail?  Or does it have to be a ground service? 

Message 1 of 6
latest reply
5 REPLIES 5

I don't know how accurate this is, but in talking with a post office CSR when that rule went into effect, I was given the understanding that you could ship with any USPS mail service that works (for instance First Class), but you had to have the package marked properly for "Ground Shipment Only".  CSR even showed me a roll of stickers for that purpose.

Message 2 of 6
latest reply

Hey @blankauctions. Have you reviewed the eBay announcement  in full? It should answer your questions & it offers a link for additional info.

GLORIOUS!

Confused about the switch to eBay discounted shipping? Read this discussion to make an informed decision about opt in / opt out.
Message 3 of 6
latest reply

@blankauctions wrote:

I haven’t shipped lithium products since last year, 

can I still ship an old 2010/13 Apple MacBook charger by usps mail?  Or does it have to be a ground service? 

Just the charger?? If so it does not contain a battery.  That is usually in the computer...

Message 4 of 6
latest reply

The charger/AC adapter does not contain a battery itself, so it is fine to ship by air.

Message 5 of 6
latest reply

This brings back bad memories for me. Before 2001 I used to ship products from my employer that included lithium batteries and I had to fill out Haz-Mat paperwork and put the  UN-numbers and such on the boxes.

Had to use the CFR-49 haz-mat regulations guide book for the information.

Don't know if the laws changed or not but be careful you get good information before shipping. 

Message 6 of 6
latest reply