cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Cheapest way to ship several magazines?

I want to sell (and ship) a set of 5 magazines- what flat rate mode would work and be the cheapest? I know the best would be Padded Flat Rate Envelope, but unsure if it is large enough to fit this many magazines. When stacked on top of each other, the height is 1.5". They are standard magazine size- 8" x 10.5", and weigh almost 4 pounds together.

Figured I would ask in case someone can prevent me from making an extra stop at the post office. Thanks.

Also- this is the envelope I'm referring to: https://store.usps.com/store/product/shipping-supplies/priority-mail-padded-flat-rate-envelope-P_EP1...

Message 1 of 35
latest reply
34 REPLIES 34

Re: Cheapest way to ship several magazines?

Actually, improper Medial Mail packages are allowed to arrive as postage due from the buyer. I received one a few months ago. I ponied up the balance due and contacted (reamed out) the seller and was reimbursed.
Message 31 of 35
latest reply

@partial*eclipse wrote:

Even if they fit in the padded FRE, there wouldn't be enough room for adequate protection.

That matters only on something where the condition could possibly change dramatically.

If I don't think it will...something along the book grading guidlines as qulifying for "Very Good or Good" I just ship in a FLE

Message 32 of 35
latest reply

@trainpartsumayneed wrote:

Great info from everyone, but its looks like you are all doing things LEGALLY! 

The sold prices on the magazines I need to list are UNDER the shipping prices mentioned in your responses.

AND...Many of the open listings even include "Free Shipping", again under the appropriate Postal Rate????

How do we compete that?????

Anybody what several hundred CLASSIC TOY TRAINS Magazines?

My only legal option seems to be bulking them out.

HELP!!!!!

You compete by having the best condition on things like this. Also by having the best pictures. Taking the time to set u a shot with good lighting and in focus will produce a picture that will catch the eye of potential buyers. Unlike a fuzzy out of focus and dimly lit picture. I tend to do my pictures outside for clothing, small items I use my kitchen island with the overhead lights and getting on a step ladder to get a straight on picture. 

I have never understood people who list with an item on a rumpled bed or on the floor. Once I saw what I wanted but it was photographed on the floor (not so clean floor) and I kid you not on the bottom of the picture was the sellers toes complete with gross yellow fungus toenails. Honestly I can't even remember what it was I was looking for but I do remember those toes. 

Message 33 of 35
latest reply

@dcintennessee wrote:

@trainpartsumayneed, welcome to the challenges of selling magazines & shipping them legally. Many sellers don’t. Heck, you’ll find people using Media Mail for clothes, toys, and probably items in every eBay category. 

Caveats: you can use First Class if it’s 15oz or less, but that still may push your price above the competitors using Media Mail illegally. I’m unfamiliar with that magazine, but today I legally shipped a lot of vintage Highlights for Children magazines via Media Mail, because they don’t have ads.

If you list them in lots of a year or two , the Regional Rate Box A ships at the 2 pound rate, but the box weight can be up to 15 pounds, and the larger RR-B Box can be up to 20 pounds, shipping at the 5 pound rate. The only wrinkle with these options is that they are ineligible for international shipping. 

Good of luck to you!

Highlights are PERIODICALS and are EXCLUDED from shipping Media Mail. You are NOT shipping them legally if you are using Media Mail.

Message 34 of 35
latest reply

@lja440, you’re right. I had used the “no ads” caveat which was inaccurate information from an older thread. 

Message 35 of 35
latest reply