cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can a mail service charge fee for accepting USPS packages

We have a store which handles USPS,UPS,Fed Exp shipping,starting May 2017 they start charging a fee if you drop off packages.

I  understand with private carriers ,you can do so,but I thought one is not allowed to charge a fee for USPS shipments,>

Should I report them to USPS?   

Message 1 of 18
latest reply
17 REPLIES 17

I would at least speak with your local postmaster to gain insight.

Having said that, I know that some of these mailing service locations do not know nearly as much as they think they do and pass on faulty information.  We had one employee tell us that USPS flat rate only went to 20#, was adamant on that fact.  And don't get me started with the **bleep** they try and pull with UPS shipments!

Yeah, if your postmaster doesn't know for sure, maybe he/she knows how to get more information.  Seems a bit weird to be charged for dropping off USPS.

~M

Message 2 of 18
latest reply

Any private business can charge customers for their services. if you are not a paying customer -- like renting a box at a PMB -- then a private business can refuse to accept drop-offs or can charge you the appropriate fee. The name of the carrier does not matter.

Nothing to report. Just take your packages to the local PO or request carrier pick-up at your residence or office.

~~C~~
My Glass Duchess
Quoting Mom: In polite society, "hey" is for horses.
Message 3 of 18
latest reply

Yes they can do that. We have a place like that here too and they charge a fee for dropping off USPS packages. They are allowed to do that. 

One life is all we have to live
Love is all we have to give

**Formerly known as MissJen316**
Message 4 of 18
latest reply

well ,I rent a mail box from them but seldom have any mail,

a long time ago,USPS staff said they cannot charge fee

then lately the store owner said she wont charge USPS,but UPS,yes.

but today I saw she posted a notice ,it was there since May,2017 saying she will charge USPS,UPS etc.

I dropped off many USPS packages with her t oday,she did not charge me anything,could you imagine $1 a piece and $2 for a large box?

By renting a mail box from her,I ASSUME I HAVE ALREADY PAID FOR HER SERVICE. 

Message 5 of 18
latest reply

SCHEDULING A RESIDENTIAL pickup ,the carrier does not always show up.
Once they hired some trainees,they threw the mail away,one piece was my auto insurance renewal notice,They sent me three notices,I got none,I got the 4th one,it is a cancellation !
Thos trainees were fired,reason,not everyone is cut out to be a mail carrier.
Now I am printing my bank statements online and forgo printed statement in the mail,as I did not get it one month.
Sometimes I get other people 's bank statement,once I got my neighbor's SS statement and never got mine .
Message 6 of 18
latest reply

Have you complained to the postmaster about these issues? Or taken it even higher? I live a a big city and have had almost no trouble with USPS. One or two packages over 30 years have been lost. Every once in a while (about once a year), I get a neighbor's mail whose address is (let's say) 233 and not 238.

Message 7 of 18
latest reply

I suppose it depends on whether they are a “contract” post office. There are several business near me that are Contract offices. They have a Post Office logo emblazoned on their building. They sign a contract with the post office to accept mail and sell postage. I would suspect that part of the contract is an agreement as to what they can and can not do.

And despite an earlier comment by another poster, I have found them to be properly trained and quite knowledgeable.

As an incentive to the contract stations, my regular federal post office has signs in the lobby that tell you that for after hours service you can go to these business. And they spell out the name and address.

\

Typically they are 7-11 type stores that are open 24 hours. They have a clearly defined area with the post office logo, boxes, customs forms, stamps, etc. A regular U S Mail truck picks up mail from them usually at least a couple of times a day and brings it directly to the sorting center.

On the other hand, if it is a business that just decided to offer the service as a traffic builder, then my guess would be they are not regulated as to what they can do.

Message 8 of 18
latest reply

@lancelotme wrote:

well ,I rent a mail box from them but seldom have any mail,

a long time ago,USPS staff said they cannot charge fee

then lately the store owner said she wont charge USPS,but UPS,yes.

but today I saw she posted a notice ,it was there since May,2017 saying she will charge USPS,UPS etc.

I dropped off many USPS packages with her t oday,she did not charge me anything,could you imagine $1 a piece and $2 for a large box?

By renting a mail box from her,I ASSUME I HAVE ALREADY PAID FOR HER SERVICE. 

No. The only service you have paid for is the mail box rental. Nothing more. 

Message 9 of 18
latest reply

@lancelotme wrote:

We have a store which handles USPS,UPS,Fed Exp shipping,starting May 2017 they start charging a fee if you drop off packages.

I  understand with private carriers ,you can do so,but I thought one is not allowed to charge a fee for USPS shipments,>

Should I report them to USPS?   

They're not suppose to; good luck on that. Same as merchants are not suppose to charge a fee for using a credit card, or set minimum amounts, but they do. You either pay or go somewhere else

Message 10 of 18
latest reply

thanks all to your reply.

I did check with our local post office and they confirmed what you guys said.

Message 11 of 18
latest reply

@lancelotme wrote:
Once they hired some trainees,they threw the mail away,one piece was my auto insurance renewal notice,They sent me three notices,I got none,I got the 4th one,it is a cancellation !...

I must live in a high tech city (I would have never guessed).

I get an email everyday with what mail I'm going to receive (see photo) that day.

I also have one of electronic postal mail box drop offs (sweet when it's working).

Message 12 of 18
latest reply

@lancelotme wrote:

thanks all to your reply.

I did check with our local post office and they confirmed what you guys said.

They do already get paid (per package) by those services BTW. They just want to double dip.

Message 13 of 18
latest reply

@phcd1 wrote:

@lancelotme wrote:
Once they hired some trainees,they threw the mail away,one piece was my auto insurance renewal notice,They sent me three notices,I got none,I got the 4th one,it is a cancellation !...

I must live in a high tech city (I would have never guessed).

I get an email everyday with what mail I'm going to receive (see photo) that day.

I also have one of electronic postal mail box drop offs (sweet when it's working).

Thats a brand new service available to everyone, you just have to sign up for the emails.

Message 14 of 18
latest reply

where is the photo?
Message 15 of 18
latest reply