cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can a buyer charge a fee for a "Free 30 Day Return" Item if it is returned for non defective reasons

I always buy items that have free 30 day returns so that I could return if I change my mind or find something even better even though I almost never return. Today I saw an item with free 30 days returns with this in the description: "A minimum 5% cancellation fee will apply to all orders that are not paid or returned for non-defective reasons." I was under the impression that free 30 day returns meant free returns for any reason because You can always get a full refund for a defective item, so it would make sense to have "Free 30 Day Returns" if that wasn't the case. Is what the seller said true? Can he charge fees for returns?

Message 1 of 19
latest reply
18 REPLIES 18

Re: Can a buyer charge a fee for a "Free 30 Day Return" Item if it is returned for non def

A buyer can't charge anyone, anything.

Message 16 of 19
latest reply

Re: Can a buyer charge a fee for a "Free 30 Day Return" Item if it is returned for non def

@monster-deals wrote:

I'm pretty sure everyone on the board knows the OP meant can a seller charge a fee.  But for anyone who didn't... thanks for clearing that up for them.

Message 17 of 19
latest reply

@jeannicho22 wrote:

@monster-deals wrote:

I'm pretty sure everyone on the board knows the OP meant can a seller charge a fee.  But for anyone who didn't... thanks for clearing that up for them.

I live to serve.

Message 18 of 19
latest reply

I think the 30 day return policy does not work for allot of sellers. Let me give you a few examples.  I sell antiques collectible items. Now say i sell and antique fly rod $500.00 and the guy that buys it is going on a 2 week fishing and all his buddies have nice equipment and this guy wants to buy it just for the 2 week trip and then return it when he gets home, is that fair for him to just return it??  Ok lets say the buyer  thinks that $500.00 rod is worth more and figures he can sell it locally for $900.00. He get the rod and tries to sell for 29 days and can't sell and NOW wants to return it. Think that fare?  When i buy something off ebay as soon as i get it i open it up and look it over. If you can't look at something and know that it has a problem or not as advertised you should not be buying on ebay. I see some of these posts on here that people on here are doing, buying something and then finding one cheaper 3 weeks later and wanting to return is KILLING EBAY!!!

Message 19 of 19
latest reply