cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can a buyer charge a fee for a "Free 30 Day Return" Item if it is returned for non defective reasons

I always buy items that have free 30 day returns so that I could return if I change my mind or find something even better even though I almost never return. Today I saw an item with free 30 days returns with this in the description: "A minimum 5% cancellation fee will apply to all orders that are not paid or returned for non-defective reasons." I was under the impression that free 30 day returns meant free returns for any reason because You can always get a full refund for a defective item, so it would make sense to have "Free 30 Day Returns" if that wasn't the case. Is what the seller said true? Can he charge fees for returns?

Message 1 of 19
latest reply
18 REPLIES 18

Can a buyer charge a fee for a "Free 30 Day Return" Item if it is returned for non defective reasons

If they have a separate shipping charge they can refund minus that original shipping and they can refund minus up to 50%!*~ it comes back damaged but no what that seller has written is not allowed 

“Birth certificates show that you were born. Death certificates show that you died. Photographs show that you have lived.” -Unknown
Message 2 of 19
latest reply

No, a SELLER cannot charge a 5% fee.

Just an FYI about your "free 30 day return" items.  Nothing is free.  "Free" shipping is not free and "free" returns are not free.  "Free" shipping is just a buzz term that means the cost of the shipping or return shipping has been built into the cost of the item.  If you do not often return items, this means you are paying for something you aren't getting.

As a buyer I would rather pay for what I'm getting.  For example, If I'm going to be purchasing 10 items from a seller, I would much rather pay one shipping charge or a discounted shipping charge than pay for the shipping 10 times.  Yup, when you see "free" shipping, that is absolutely what is happening.... you pay for shipping with each item.

As a seller, I feel that buyers need to understand that my item is a better value if I sell it for $10.00 with $3.50 S&H than another seller who is selling the same item for $13.50 with "free" shipping.  Since I combine shipping, if my buyer purchases 2 items, they pay a total of $23.50.  If the buyer opts to buy the same two items from a seller with "free" shipping, they pay $27.00.

So in essence, what the seller you have described is doing is hedging their bets.  They want to come off as the good guy and offer "free" returns (which isn't free) and then charge the buyer a 5% restocking fee.  Against eBay policy, unenforceable, dishonest, not smart for the buyer or seller to do business with this individual.

Please reconsider "always doing business with sellers that have a "free" 30 day returns policy".   Since I also rarely return items, I generally avoid sellers with "free" 30 day returns policies.  Only purchase what you need. 

Message 3 of 19
latest reply

"so that I could return if I change my mind or find something even better"

---

Please understand that when you return something cause you changed your mind, etc.. is costing the seller money. Just because they offer free returns, it doesn't mean it's not costing them money our of their own pocket. Not to mention the item that could have been bought by someone who really wanted the item.

Sellers here are not Walmart, Amazon, or Target..Many sell to put food on the table..Food for thought..and I am not a seller, just a buyer...

Message 4 of 19
latest reply

So a return with any reason with free returns will be completely free including return shipping? I've seen a lot of contradicting information

Message 5 of 19
latest reply

@josalber-9 wrote:

So a return with any reason with free returns will be completely free including return shipping? I've seen a lot of contradicting information

Free returns is free return shipping.   If original shipping was a separate fee a seller can refund minus that original shipping.  They cannot charge a restock fee but if the item comes back in different condition then sent they withhold up to 50%

“Birth certificates show that you were born. Death certificates show that you died. Photographs show that you have lived.” -Unknown
Message 6 of 19
latest reply

@josalber-9 wrote:

If a seller lists with free returns then you get a free return label (it costs you nothing to return).  Whether or not the seller gives you back the original shipping is another question.  If original shipping was free, you get a full refund.  If original shipping was separate you might not (you wouldn't from me). 

Message 7 of 19
latest reply

@green-night wrote:

@josalber-9 wrote:

If a seller lists with free returns then you get a free return label (it costs you nothing to return).  Whether or not the seller gives you back the original shipping is another question.  If original shipping was free, you get a full refund.  If original shipping was separate you might not (you wouldn't from me). 

I fear that I did confuse the issue with introducing "free" shipping and I do apologize.  My point in doing so was to press upon the OP that there is no such thing as free shipping or free returns.  "Free" Shipping and "free" returns are just a big huge marketing LIE.  YES, if that buyer decides to return they do not have to pay to return it and cannot be charged a restocking fee.  But if you aren't in the habit of returning things, you are paying for something you aren't getting.  Sellers are going to add a little bit to each listing to help pay for the return "free" shipping that each and every buyer who purchases from them MAY return.

Likewise when sellers offer "free" original shipping, they simply mean shipping is included.  Great if you are in the habit of returning items, great if you are purchasing one item.  But if you purchase more than one item, you are paying for shipping on each and every item you buy with no shipping discount.  If you aren't in the habit of returning items and you only purchase one item, what do you care if you pay $10.00 with $3.50 shipping or $13.50 with "free" shipping.

Two separate issues attached to the big "free" lie.  Did that help at all?

Never mind the fact that as another poster pointed out that "free" returns do cost a seller.  You may find yourself blocked from buying from a seller who you have cost money.  I myself do accept returns, but if you cost me money with your carelessness or indecisiveness, you probably won't get another chance to cost me money.  It isn't that I'm being vindictive, it is that I no longer trust you to make a responsible purchase.

Message 8 of 19
latest reply

Whatever you sell, maybe you can manage to add the price of shipping both ways to the price you need to get for the item, but in the categories I sell in, I must be the cheapest seller or my items won't sell, period.  I don't add anything in to cover the free shipping and free returns I offer, I just eat the cost and make less profit. 

----------------------------
Successful and experienced seller since 1997, over 70,000 feedback, boardie since the boards were begun.
Message 9 of 19
latest reply

Absolutely, when you return something in a different condition than what it was sent in. That's called "renting" and ebay has allowed sellers to receive a fee for your usage.
Message 10 of 19
latest reply

@jeannicho22
Ebay did take away the restocking fee, but they protect sellers from buyers who "rent" items.
There are certain circumstances in which a seller can give a partial refund when the buyer misuses the returns system. I believe that has to be listings with free returns and free shipping.
Message 11 of 19
latest reply

@myboardid wrote:

Whatever you sell, maybe you can manage to add the price of shipping both ways to the price you need to get for the item, but in the categories I sell in, I must be the cheapest seller or my items won't sell, period.  I don't add anything in to cover the free shipping and free returns I offer, I just eat the cost and make less profit. 

Regardless of how you word it or crunch the numbers, your "free" shipping and "free" returns are bundled into the price you charge.  Saying you just eat the cost and make less profit doesn't mean the costs aren't in the listed price.

Message 12 of 19
latest reply

I understand that and your position, but IMHO renting encompasses way more than returning an item in different condition.  There is another post on the board from a buyer who "rented" a widget for several weeks to see if he/she liked it and then decided it wouldn't meet their needs.  Now the buyer want to return the item and wants to make certain they will get their original shipping back.  BTW, the original shipping is about 3xs the cost of the widget.  

The shipping issue really doesn't sway my position on the fact that the buyer "rented" the widget, I just thought it was noteworthy.

Message 13 of 19
latest reply

I fear that I did confuse the issue with introducing "free" shipping and I do apologize.  My point in doing so was to press upon the OP that there is no such thing as free shipping or free returns.  "Free" Shipping and "free" returns are just a big huge marketing LIE.

No need to apologize.   Did my reply suggest I was confused?   

Message 14 of 19
latest reply

@green-night wrote:

I fear that I did confuse the issue with introducing "free" shipping and I do apologize.  My point in doing so was to press upon the OP that there is no such thing as free shipping or free returns.  "Free" Shipping and "free" returns are just a big huge marketing LIE.

No need to apologize.   Did my reply suggest I was confused?   

No, I guess I responded to your post which was responding to the OP's post saying there was contradictory information. 

Message 15 of 19
latest reply