cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Buyers Using 'Item Not As Described" for Fit.

Twice recently and three times over the last several months I have had buyers use' item not as described' in the case of a clothing item not fitting. 

eBay customer service has been helpful in all three cases BUT each time it was handled a different way. The first was great.....the rep closed the case. But the last two times it was a drawn out affair. This last one is still ongoing, though it looks to work out in my favor.

Why isn't there a set way eBay handles these cases? 

Any sellers out there hae similar experiences? 

Message 1 of 16
latest reply
15 REPLIES 15

Re: Buyers Using 'Item Not As Described" for Fit.

PAULA.. Well I think there can be grey areas in deciding whether a fit issue is a "legitimate" complaint or not. So if a seller says you are buying a J . Jill blouse in SMALL, but buyer receives an item whose label is marked Large---then I think the seller just got her blouses mixed up---and she put the wrong-sized blouse in the package she shipped out. In that case seller needs to accept a return and then ship the correct size to the buyer. At least that is the way I THINK it works. On the other hand if a seller puts exact correct measurements on a on a tee -shirt and then buyer complains it is too tight in the bust---I think the buyer is wrong for not looking at the measurements given. And the buyer should NOT win a "fit" Dispute---for that tee-shirt. And for these reasons Fit issues need to be looked individually by Customer Support.
Message 2 of 16
latest reply

I have learned to put detailed measurements in particulary womens!  Any deviation I note. Sadly, many don't read not only the title but the description, then blame the seller!

Message 3 of 16
latest reply

I agree!  Buyers don't always read the descriptions - I always put a lot of measurements in my description - because of a lot of  Makers differ in sizing.  You would think the buyers would be more observant when bidding.  So instead of wanting a refund not fitting(because they were too lazy to read the measurements), they tell Ebay "Not as Described".  That's the price of Dealing with the Public?

Message 4 of 16
latest reply

Besides providing actual measurements and the stated size, it is important to state the "body type" that the garment is meant to fit.  Make the distinction among "women's" size and "misses" size and "juniors" size.  Clearly state whether the garment is for a petite, regular/average or tall person.

If possible, provide a chart or at least specify the bust, waist and hip measurements recommended for a given size.  Also mention whether the garment is supposed to have a snug or loose fit.  For shirts or blouses, note whether the seam rests at the tip of the shoulder or falls below the shoulder.  

It helps to suggest that the potential buyer measure a similar garment, same brand or not, before deciding to order.

By the way, if a buyer claims SNAD because of "fit," it is usually because he/she does not want to pay return postage and/or a restocking fee. You can report such a buyer for misuse of the MBG policy.

~~C~~

My Glass Duchess
Quoting Mom: In polite society, "hey" is for horses.
Message 5 of 16
latest reply

In October, I had two buyers return items because of poor fit. I put detailed measurements in all my listings. One said the style was ugly on her and the other said that it didn't fit like a pair she already had. Due to EBay's liberal return policy my choice is either accept the return requests or face the consequences in FB. I took back both items and refunded. I think EBay is trying to compete with online catalog sellers who accept returns at the whim of the buyer.  I'm not sure why but one buyer was able to leave FB after I closed the dispute because she didn't send the item back in the alotted time set by Ebay. 

Message 6 of 16
latest reply

Many people expect if they have one or more pieces from a particular clothing manufacturer at home, other articles of clothing from the same company should fit about the same.  It's how men's jeans are able to fit comparably across a line -- and why women's clothes are such a hot mess in sizing.  This is where accurate descriptions and measurements are so valuable.  I recently bought a pair of brand name jeans from a seller who described them as women's sized, but when I received them, they were from the junior line and too small.  The seller provided measurements, but silly me went by the listed size; I had never bothered to measure the jeans that fit me to check what the actual waist size was in inches.  I'll probably eat the cost, but from now on will make sure the dimensions fit too.

Coffee is my friend.

T&S Tool #10mm ratchet
Message 7 of 16
latest reply

@airsheep wrote:

Many people expect if they have one or more pieces from a particular clothing manufacturer at home, other articles of clothing from the same company should fit about the same.  It's how men's jeans are able to fit comparably across a line -- and why women's clothes are such a hot mess in sizing.  This is where accurate descriptions and measurements are so valuable.  I recently bought a pair of brand name jeans from a seller who described them as women's sized, but when I received them, they were from the junior line and too small.  The seller provided measurements, but silly me went by the listed size; I had never bothered to measure the jeans that fit me to check what the actual waist size was in inches.  I'll probably eat the cost, but from now on will make sure the dimensions fit too.

These  days  you have more what I call the Al bundy  Shoe  buyers!, That think they  can still fit one smaller then they are .  Then you have others that don't take into account that  clothing  size  tag's are not correct from time to time , since there are hit and miss's during the production lines now days Because  there aren't anymore inspected by 1 or 5's  at the end of production line's. Like the old days .

Message 8 of 16
latest reply

Ed O'Neill pre: Modern Family. Nice reference.

Although some of my returns have been sent back by "Archie Bunker" based on their crass comments.

Message 9 of 16
latest reply

Had this problem on international sale, I had very clear pictures of a slate color. And the buyer said it was not as described. Come to find out the British Slate color on the Orvis product was different than US slate color, I paid $19 to ship international and the cost to return was $150 . Because E-Bay only pays for shipping overseas ,not returns. I lost over $100 on this sale, this is my last overseas sale, agree that if a seller has several pictures and a good description the buyer should accept some responsibility.
Message 10 of 16
latest reply

@mike2deals wrote:
Had this problem on international sale, I had very clear pictures of a slate color. And the buyer said it was not as described. Come to find out the British Slate color on the Orvis product was different than US slate color, I paid $19 to ship international and the cost to return was $150 . Because E-Bay only pays for shipping overseas ,not returns. I lost over $100 on this sale, this is my last overseas sale, agree that if a seller has several pictures and a good description the buyer should accept some responsibility.

I agree  buyers should accept responsibility  Buying from outside their own country .  I have heard and seen  ebay  side with sellers  in SNAD case's  ,where seller's used Item details  in their listings a long with full details in Item deception.  . Sellers have to be bulldogs on protecting their rights  .   

Message 11 of 16
latest reply

So true
Message 12 of 16
latest reply

AIRSHEEP..

Inconsitency in  sizing on the part of the manufacturer is the kind of issue  that is  going to   continue  to  hurt both  Buyers  and Sellers alike.    The  Manufacturers   are being irresponsible when the do this..   And the  rest of us all suffer from  their mistakes!  Smiley Surprised

Message 13 of 16
latest reply

MIKE..

I own  a lotof Orvis clothing  myself.  I like the quality of their  items.  But I had no idea  that Orvis has a  "different"line  overseas  and  that they change the  color shades ?  

I am very sorry this happened to  you.Smiley SadSmiley Surprised  And if I were you,  I would avoid all  Orvis clothing made overseas  in  the  future.  (In fact,  I guess  I should  avoid  buying  from  them  myself--  on  Ebay too!  Just in case.) 

Message 14 of 16
latest reply

DUCHESS..

Once again you have  written a  a  wonderfully  accurate  and  detailed post.   And I agree with  allmost everything you  said.

However I think you may be expecting  clothing sellers  to know MUCH MORE  about the clothing they sell---than they could possibly know.   For instance when they pick up an item  at a  close-out Department store Sale--how  could they  know  whether  that item fits snugly  or is  a loose  fit? 

I do not expect the sellers I buy  from--to  be  able to include  that kind of information.

I do want measurements---but I feel satisfied  with that.  Smiley Happy 

Message 15 of 16
latest reply