cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Buyer had wrong address as confirmed paypal address

I had a buyer file a claim that she didn't receive the item, but ebay sided with me because the item had tracking showing it was delivered to the confirmed address.  The package later came back to me, so I issued her a paypal refund for the amount minus my fees and shipping.  She then filed a claim with paypal for the balance saying she didn't receive the item.  Paypal has assured me that the claim will be settled in my favor because I provided the tracking, but when you view the tracking through USPS it does not show delivered, only out for delivery then as misdirected.  If you view the tracking through the ebay link, it shows the item being delivered to her.  Has anyone had this happen?  It's a considerable amount of money.  Mostly I'm frustrated that I did exactly what I should have as a seller and a buyer can make this mess when it was her mistake.

Message 1 of 16
latest reply
15 REPLIES 15

Have you tried to reason with the buyer? I would of nicely pointed out that it was her responsibility to ensure the correct address was on file. I would state you shipped to the address she checked out with and while it's unfortunate that a mistake was made, you will not be issuing a refund for the original shipping charge. That money was used when you provided shipping to the incorrect address. I'm amazed at how entitled buyers feel these days. Like they have absolutely no sense of right and wrong. They feel they are always in the right when this one is clearly in the wrong and Paypal should NOT side with her.

I would take snap-shots of the Ebay system, or go to USPS and take screen-shots of the history of the package to show that it was delivered to her old address. Then I would call them to ensure they see that she had the wrong address and that the package got re-directed back to you. You done the right thing and refunded her the original item cost you just aren't going to refund her the original shipping fee as it was her mistake and therefore she should pay for it. I don't have any experience with Paypal reps but if they are anything like EBay's good luck! If they try lying or telling you wrong policies like Ebay just stand your ground politely and don't allow them to railroad you.
Message 2 of 16
latest reply

Thank you for your reply - yes I did politely and in a matter of fact way point all of this out and since she is a very active seller herself, she should know all of this. I can't fathom why she would think she is owed this.
Message 3 of 16
latest reply

How do you know it was the buyers mistake? 

Message 4 of 16
latest reply

It was her confirmed address and she said it was not her current address, and that I had made the mistake of sending it to her old address, as if I could possibly know what that was.
Message 5 of 16
latest reply

I do hope Paypal finds in your favor but I wouldn't be surprised if they didn't.  I haven't dealt with a Paypal INR claim in a long time, but the last time I did, it was pretty iron clad - no delivery and you lost the claim.  Hopefully you have better luck. 

Message 6 of 16
latest reply

Because as a seller you ship to the address on file when you print your label. As a buyer if you have an old address, or the incorrect address then how would the seller know to be at fault?
Message 7 of 16
latest reply

Also even had the buyer caught it and messaged the seller, you NEVER change the address and ship to another as then you would lose your seller protection. You have to cancel the sell with the buyer correcting the address and re-purchasing the item or they don't get it especially on a higher valued item.
Message 8 of 16
latest reply

The claim the OP's buyer opened was with Paypal.   

I'm not saying what is right or wrong, I am saying that with Paypal it is usually pretty cut and dry - show delivery or you lose.   I'm sure there are some exceptions to that rule, I just wouldn't count on it. 

Message 9 of 16
latest reply

The buyer did go to Paypal as OP stated he'd won his Ebay case when buyer filed with them as the item showed delivered. His question was it showed not delivered and re-directed in Paypal whereas Ebay showed delivered if he'd lose the Paypal case but most likely not since he done won the Ebay one. All he should have to do is upload the proof the buyer failed to update her address prior to checking out and he should win that one as well. If Paypal drops the ball I would be calling them to appeal it as the OP done everything right and nothing wrong. The buyer did, which also sells on Ebay and therefore should know better but appears to be taking advantage as most unscrupulous buyers do.
Message 10 of 16
latest reply

I understand the scenario.  

If Paypal covers the OP in this situation - Fantastic.  

If they don't I won't be surprised - which is my point - Paypal isn't know to "consult" with eBay when making these kinds of decisions.  

Message 11 of 16
latest reply

And I should add, it shouldn't matter to Paypal what eBay 'tracking' shows.  The only thing that should matter to Paypal is what USPS tracking shows.     Which is ultimately "not delivered" to the buyer regardless of reason. 

Message 12 of 16
latest reply

@plantaddict wrote:
The buyer did go to Paypal as OP stated he'd won his Ebay case when buyer filed with them as the item showed delivered. His question was it showed not delivered and re-directed in Paypal whereas Ebay showed delivered if he'd lose the Paypal case but most likely not since he done won the Ebay one. All he should have to do is upload the proof the buyer failed to update her address prior to checking out and he should win that one as well. If Paypal drops the ball I would be calling them to appeal it as the OP done everything right and nothing wrong. The buyer did, which also sells on Ebay and therefore should know better but appears to be taking advantage as most unscrupulous buyers do.

Paypal siding with the buyer does mean they dropped the ball. PayPal is very cut and dry. The seller needs proof of delicery TO THE BUYER. The OP doesn’t have that. She’s going to lose the PayPal case. Best case scenario, PayPal issues a courtesy refund to the buyer. PayPal will not use the eBay case info to help decide the outcome here because the OP does not mean the basic requirement for seller protection which is proof of delivery to the buyer.

One life is all we have to live
Love is all we have to give

**Formerly known as MissJen316**
Message 13 of 16
latest reply

Here is what is frustrating too. For a couple days the item did show delivered through the USPS link, but once the (wrong) recipient took the package back to the post office, the delivered status disappeared. I fail to see the point of seller protection if paypal can overturn ebay's decision, especially since I have the whole ebay message thread where the buyer admits her confirmed address is wrong.
Message 14 of 16
latest reply

I don't understand why you would refund.

For some reason this board is always filled with people trying their hardest to give money away.

Message 15 of 16
latest reply