cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Buyer filing claim and demanding more money than he paid??

I just recently sold a new in box Smart Water refrigerator water filter.  The buyer just filed a "damaged item" return request.  He says the item is used, dirty and disgusting--it should have been opened as a SNAD claim??  He wants a full refund NOW as well as a return label OR a $21.00 refund & he will keep it  and he will trash it.  He only paid $15.99 with free shipping for the filter???  Where does he get off demanding a $21.00 refund when he never paid $21.00?  Isn't that extortion??  I'm going to call ebay in the morning (too p'd off right now) as the pics show it as a new in box with instructions and CLEAN filter.  I take actual pics~~not stock photos.  To demand over 5 bucks more than he paid should be considered as extortion plus filing a damage claim when there was no damage.

Message 1 of 20
latest reply
19 REPLIES 19

Re: Buyer filing claim and demanding more money than he paid??

On an SNAD request, the seller is required to pay for return shipping so he's not extorting you. The pictures do not prove the condition of the item when the buyer received it. Ebay will not make you refund him before he returns the item, unless you refuse to cooperate and accept the return. So go ahead and accept the return and have ebay issue a label.

One life is all we have to live
Love is all we have to give

**Formerly known as MissJen316**
Message 2 of 20
latest reply

He paid $15.99 with FREE shipping.  He is demanding an immediate refund and a return label OR he will keep it and trash it if I give him $21.00??  That isn't trying to extort an extra $5.01 for tossing it in the trash??

Message 3 of 20
latest reply

Shouldn't I be able to close the case since it was NOT a damage claim and should have been opened as a SNAD claim?

Message 4 of 20
latest reply

@kattinsanitywrote:

He paid $15.99 with FREE shipping.  He is demanding an immediate refund and a return label OR he will keep it and trash it if I give him $21.00??  That isn't trying to extort an extra $5.01 for tossing it in the trash??

I misread it, I thought it said the buyer was asking for $21 and to return it, so the additional $6 would have been for return shipping.

Message 5 of 20
latest reply

@kattinsanitywrote:

Shouldn't I be able to close the case since it was NOT a damage claim and should have been opened as a SNAD claim?

Whats your point with that? The buyer DID open an SNAD claim.

Message 6 of 20
latest reply

I looked at the feedback this buyer received and he purchased 5 filters on 3/12~~1 from me, 1 from another seller and 3 from a 3rd seller.  The 3rd seller sold the 3 for $69.00.  2 of the filters were sealed and the 3rd was not sealed and was clearly DIRTY.  Mine wasn't sealed as many on ebay aren't sealed and mine was clean.  I think this buyer got me mixed up with the 3rd seller and that's where he got his $21.00 from~~keep 2 and figure the postage in and settle for a $21.00 refund.  I guess I'll just wait this out and see if he admits his "mistake". 

Message 7 of 20
latest reply

No~~he opened a "damage claim"~~not a not as described claim.

Message 8 of 20
latest reply

@kattinsanitywrote:

No~~he opened a "damage claim"~~not a not as described claim.

YES. A damaged item claim=SNAD claim. eBay has 2 types of return request—remorse and SNAD. Damaged item falls under SNAD. Every seller should know this. 

Message 9 of 20
latest reply

@kattinsanity  - you should know your options and that a "arrived damaged" is SNAD. 

$15.99 and you are going to go to war?   

Pick your poison:  pay for the return - or refund and let them keep it.  So you ran into a difficult buyer....don't let it ruin your sanity.  No pun intended. Smiley Happy

Message 10 of 20
latest reply

jUst follow Ebay rule on INAD ,ignore any email asking immediate refund plus extra.

Agree to return and give him a return label.

Once it is used,it will be charged to your seller account,

once received ,you or Ebay will refund his payment in full.

nothing more.

if it is not damaged or dirty,then report to Ebay AND You may get return shipping back.

Or if he returns a used filter,then there should be an option to complain in your case,Ebay will probably refund him out of its coffer and let you keep the money

Put lime in the coconut and call me in the morning !
Message 11 of 20
latest reply

Now that I've "slept" on it I'm just going to refund his $15.99.  He is definitely going on my list.  I have better things to do than dwell on him.

I haven't filed a case in years or had that many not as described cases filed against me and I guess I always remember a "damage" claim as meaning it arrived with visual damage and not that it wasn't as described in the listing.  He can have his $15.99 back.

Message 12 of 20
latest reply

"I looked at the feedback this buyer received and he purchased 5 filters on 3/12~~1 from me, 1 from another seller and 3 from a 3rd seller. The 3rd seller sold the 3 for $69.00. 2 of the filters were sealed and the 3rd was not sealed and was clearly DIRTY. "

Sorry this happened to you. If I had to guess, that one dirty filter will be used to make a claim on all three purchases.

Message 13 of 20
latest reply

I read the details of the return request this morning~~it was more detailed  than last night.  Ebay stated the buyer wanted to return because "there is something wrong with the item".  In the details the buyer stated reason for return "Damaged" and then described the "damage" as used, worn, dirty & disgusting.  Oh well, he has his money back that he paid and I hope he puts it in a good place.  He won't be buying anything else from me.

Message 14 of 20
latest reply

@kattinsanitywrote:

I read the details of the return request this morning~~it was more detailed  than last night.  Ebay stated the buyer wanted to return because "there is something wrong with the item".  In the details the buyer stated reason for return "Damaged" and then described the "damage" as used, worn, dirty & disgusting.  Oh well, he has his money back that he paid and I hope he puts it in a good place.  He won't be buying anything else from me.

Who needs that many filters? He’s going to get refunded for as many as possible & resell them somewhere. You should look him up to see if he sells them here. That’s all I’m going to say.

Patricia
eBay member for 25 years
Message 15 of 20
latest reply