cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Buyer claims to have had a "professional figure out" product didn't work

I sold a computer to buyer on eBay, and I got a message yesterday that said it wasn't working. I messaged him back, asking what was wrong, requesting pictures, trying to get this computer fixed over the Internet so that this guy didn't have to return anything. First, I got pictures of all the side panels taken off this thing, and I thought, sure, computers are supposed to do that anyway. Second, I asked him to check one spot, a connector, looking decent in the picture but I assumed to be loose anyway. The buyer dodged that question entirely, asking for a return immediately. I thought, fine, some people just want things gone. Third, I got a message right after he opened a case, telling me he had his cousin come in (over the course of last night), one who was a "skilled technician" according to him, and poke around and declare the computer DOA.

I'm suspecting this cousin doesn't exist, and that he unplugged this connector on purpose, but I have no proof anyway. Even assuming he's honest about this, is it okay for a buyer to get a third party to poke around and declare the computer DOA, then use that appraisal as a reason? Is, by any chance, having a third party poke around in the first place disqualify this return?

Message 1 of 6
latest reply
5 REPLIES 5

Re: Buyer claims to have had a "professional figure out" product didn't work

Have you accepted the return? Or told the buyer you would agree to a return? @vegaselectronics

If the answer is no, this is a case you could win because he’s altered the condition of the computer. You would have to call to fight the case. And keep in mind, he can file a PayPal dispute and a chargeback so winning an eBay case is usually only part of the battle.

One life is all we have to live
Love is all we have to give

**Formerly known as MissJen316**
Message 2 of 6
latest reply

@missjen831 wrote:

Have you accepted the return? Or told the buyer you would agree to a return? @vegaselectronics

If the answer is no, this is a case you could win because he’s altered the condition of the computer. You would have to call to fight the case. And keep in mind, he can file a PayPal dispute and a chargeback so winning an eBay case is usually only part of the battle.

Thank you for replying so quick! I’ll phone in later, but how do I deal with the PayPal case if it happens? I thought if I get a chargeback there was PayPal Seller protection for that, too.

Message 3 of 6
latest reply

With a PayPal dispute, you use the same defense-buyer admitted to taking the computer apart and had a third party touching it as well. You may or may not win. A not as described chargeback is not covered under PayPal seller protection, PayPal won’t fight the chargeback, they will just give the buyers credit card company whatever information you provide and then wait for the credit card company to make a decision. Losing the chargeback will cost you an extra $20.

Message 4 of 6
latest reply

The item isn't altered so just return for refund and send a shipping label.
Message 5 of 6
latest reply

@lunalapin1912 wrote:
The item isn't altered so just return for refund and send a shipping label.

It was altered when the buyer took it apart. eBay considers that altering the condition of the item.

Message 6 of 6
latest reply