cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

return gift cards

On Oct 23, I purchased 4 $200 gift cards with my American Express Card. I was going to use these gift cards to purchased Dodger tickets per instruction from the seller. At first I felt it was a good purchase but later I contacted Customer care and they advised me this sale was a scam, due to the fact there was no item # and were unable to locate the tickets in the system. I was able to cancele this sale before using my gift cards.

Will Ebay be able to give me my money back?

Thank you. Jerardo

Message 1 of 6
latest reply
5 REPLIES 5

return gift cards

Of course not, why should they?

Be thankful you didn't fall for the complete scam and be out $800....

Message 2 of 6
latest reply

return gift cards

NO..........you just have $800 in gift cards now

If this item was not on eBay then eBay has nothing at all to do with this............

Message 3 of 6
latest reply

return gift cards

@wwwusqui wrote:

Thank you. Jerardo

If I understand your story, I assume you have been scammed by the Craigslist-eBay-Gift-Card scam.

1. Buyer finds item to buy on Craigslist that is an "unbelievable" deal ... listing on Craigslist describes the sale as fully protected by eBay.
  2. Buyer is instructed to purchase eBay gift cards ... because, remember, the scammer is luring you into the "unbelievable" deal with a claim that it is fully protected by eBay, and the eBay gift cards reinforce the illusion that you are fully protected.
  3. Buyer phones in the gift card numbers to scammer (remember, the scam is that this is "really" an eBay sale, and fully protected by eBay).
  4. Scammer takes off, never to be heard from again.
  5. Some days later, buyer doesn't get product and calls eBay to get their money back ... eBay says "What?  This isn't an eBay item ... it is a Craigslist item."
  6. Buyer learns lesson:   "Unbelievable" deals are never believable.

What to do?  You can report it to the police.  Maybe they can use the card numbers and the use of the eBay purchases made with the cards to track the thieves ... but your money is gone.

Message 4 of 6
latest reply

return gift cards

@orangehound wrote:

@wwwusqui wrote:

Thank you. Jerardo

If I understand your story, I assume you have been scammed by the Craigslist-eBay-Gift-Card scam.

1. Buyer finds item to buy on Craigslist that is an "unbelievable" deal ... listing on Craigslist describes the sale as fully protected by eBay.
  2. Buyer is instructed to purchase eBay gift cards ... because, remember, the scammer is luring you into the "unbelievable" deal with a claim that it is fully protected by eBay, and the eBay gift cards reinforce the illusion that you are fully protected.
  3. Buyer phones in the gift card numbers to scammer (remember, the scam is that this is "really" an eBay sale, and fully protected by eBay).
  4. Scammer takes off, never to be heard from again.
  5. Some days later, buyer doesn't get product and calls eBay to get their money back ... eBay says "What?  This isn't an eBay item ... it is a Craigslist item."
  6. Buyer learns lesson:   "Unbelievable" deals are never believable.

What to do?  You can report it to the police.  Maybe they can use the card numbers and the use of the eBay purchases made with the cards to track the thieves ... but your money is gone.

The OP didn’t make a purchase through eBay and they didn’t give the scammers the gift card numbers.

One life is all we have to live
Love is all we have to give

**Formerly known as MissJen316**
Message 5 of 6
latest reply

return gift cards

Buy $800 worth of stuff on eBay or give the gift cards to people for xmas
Message 6 of 6
latest reply