cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Buyer claims package not received

Hello everyone!

I have a buyer that claims he didn't get his item even though the tracking number says it was delivered and of course he opened a case and now the funds are on hold.

He himself checked the tracking number and saw that it was delivered, USPS said it was left at the reception desk/mailroom so I'm assuming this is an office building so the odds of it having been stolen are not as high as if it were left on a front porch or mailbox. It was sent Parcel Select so I'm thinking it wasn't insured? It's a 40.00 item.

Any advice on how to handle this would be appreciated. 

Message 1 of 12
latest reply
11 REPLIES 11

Re: Buyer claims package not received

Upload the tracking number to the case.

That's usually all you need to do.

You can suggest the buyer check with his mailroom office or local USPS.

Hopefully it will turn up - maybe got mixed with other tenants mail. Most people are honest and would probably return it to the mail.

Message 2 of 12
latest reply

Upload tracking to the claim. Buyers are responsible for providing a secure delivery location. Sellers are not responsible for refunds when a package is successfully delivered. You can send them a message with tips if you want.

Buyer,

According to tracking [number/carrier], your package was delivered on [date] to "reception desk/mailroom".

I suggest checking with the front desk or mailroom to see if they have the package still, or if they remember handing it to someone else in the building. This is what the package looked like: [brown box, white polymailer, etc and approx dimensions/weight]

Check with other members of your office/household and your coworkers/neighbors to see if someone else picked up the package and put it aside for you.

I hope it turns up soon - good luck with the search!

Seller

GLORIOUS!

Confused about the switch to eBay discounted shipping? Read this discussion to make an informed decision about opt in / opt out.
Message 3 of 12
latest reply

When does something like this time out? I have a similar issue... buyer said she saw the item was delivered and I uploaded tracking immediately (supposed to "Resolve by May 6"). Never heard back from the buyer.

Message 4 of 12
latest reply

When it happened to me I just called eBay and the closed the case during the phone call and removed the negative feedback.

Message 5 of 12
latest reply

Thanks for the replies and advice. I will double check to see if I already uploaded the tracking number. Thanks again 

Message 6 of 12
latest reply

How do I upload the tracking to the claim or submit it to Ebay?  Thanks!

Message 7 of 12
latest reply

@u.s.carbine wrote:

How do I upload the tracking to the claim or submit it to Ebay?  Thanks!

Go to the claim and open it. There is a box to copy and paste the tracking number. Although it's not necessary, I also add to the comments section that "The USPS website shows that tracking number (fill in the blank) was delivered to (zip) on (date) at (time)."

albertabrightalberta
Volunteer Community Mentor

Message 8 of 12
latest reply

Just make sure the tracking number has been uploaded in the order details & re-enter the tracking number when responding to the item not received case. As long as the ebay system shows a delivered scan and youu shipped to the correct address as provided to you in the order details, you're all set from a seller's perspective. Tell the buyer to reach out to the local USPS/FedEx/UPS office. There is always a possibility that they dropped off the parcel at the incorrect address. If the parcel was delivered & the parcel walked away, then you're not responsible for the security of the delivery location. 

Hang in there!

Message 9 of 12
latest reply

@pickermall wrote:

When does something like this time out? I have a similar issue... buyer said she saw the item was delivered and I uploaded tracking immediately (supposed to "Resolve by May 6"). Never heard back from the buyer.

After a few days you can ask eBay to step in and it will close in your favor. Otherwise you can wait for it to time out due to inactivity which takes about a month (21 biz days, I believe).

GLORIOUS!

Confused about the switch to eBay discounted shipping? Read this discussion to make an informed decision about opt in / opt out.
Message 10 of 12
latest reply

Just because it shows delivery doesn't mean that it shows delivery to the City and/or  ZIP shown on the order, provided by the buyer at the time of payment.

For some reason, folks here like to act like an INR only needs to show "Delivered"--that's not the case.

Double check the address on the order and the delivery scan. If both show the same city and/or ZIP, then you're good.

If neither the city nor ZIP match, you DO NOT want eBay involved.

A year or 2 ago, I had an eCommerce order delivered to a completely state, only to end up receiving it weeks later, when it was reshipped by whomever/wherever it was delivered to.  That package even showed up on my Informed Delivery dashboard, so it was 100% labeled correctly.

I have no idea why this community constantly insists that "Delivered" is all you have to worry about, when eBay requires either a city or ZIP match to cover INRs, and, though discrepancies are rare, such things do happen. I've seen even seen at least one seller post about losing an INR after the community insisted they'd be covered, because they didn't look closely at the delivery scan & nobody bothered to point out that "Delivered" doesn't inherently mean "Delivered to the city or ZIP provided at payment".

--

This is my posting ID.
Message 11 of 12
latest reply

The tracking info did have the correct city and zip, was delivered to correct address. Anyway, I checked again today and looks like the post office got it back and re-delivered it yesterday. I will contact buyer now and see whats going on. 

Message 12 of 12
latest reply