cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Buyer changes shipping address via messages after payment, what are my options?

Sold an item for $450 and received payment from seller via Paypal however they are messaging that the shipping address listed on Ebay and Paypal is wrong.  Told them that due to the cost of the item, most I can do is either ship to the listed address on Ebay or they can send a refund request, then I can relist the item so that they can purchase it again via link through messages with the corrected shipping address on Ebay and Paypal.  Buyer told me that a refund would take a week to process (funds on hold via Paypal currently) and that sending an updated shipping address through Ebay messages should be sufficient.   Since the cost is relatively high, I do not feel comfortable simply shipping to an address other than what is listed on Ebay as I am covering for shipping for the buyer and it will put me at a disadvantage with seller protection in case a dispute is claimed.  What are my options going forward? 

On a side note, buyer has somehow found me on a separate social media platform and sent me a message outside of Ebay which I found a little odd. 

Message 1 of 15
latest reply
14 REPLIES 14

Re: Buyer changes shipping address via messages after payment, what are my options?

Are you sure the change request came from the real buyer?   If not, ignore and ship to the paypal address.   

If you ship to the changed address you will lose your seller protection against an INR claim.

Message 2 of 15
latest reply

Re: Buyer changes shipping address via messages after payment, what are my options?

@m.shimo. If it is from the actual buyer you can cancel the sale as problem with buyer address.  

This refunds your sellers fees and the buyer.  It doesn't count against you. 

The buyer then pays again and puts in the correct address at checkout 

This is the only way for you to have seller protection for tracking  proof of delivery 

Comics-scifi_collectibles Is a Volunteer Community Mentor.
I have been a seller since 2003

Message 3 of 15
latest reply

Yes they sent a message immediately after payment that the address provided was incorrect but the address on Paypal and Ebay match.  My gut reaction tells me to ship directly to address provided so I don't lose my seller protection in the event a claim is filed.  Sent buyer a message to see whether they want the item enough for me to relist it and them to fix their shipping address or if they want me to proceed in shipping to the address provided though they said they are no longer there.

Message 4 of 15
latest reply

Can I cancel the item from my side without losing on any fees (sorry a little new with processing cancellations)?  I told that to the buyer as well, I can cancel the item and relist it so they can correct their shipping information, but they seem as though they are hesitant in putting their payment info in again.  Just seems like this situation is a little fishy for me.

Message 5 of 15
latest reply

@m.shimo  either way that you cancel will cost you the 2.9% PayPal fee which is non refundable 

As bad as that sounds it's better than a $450 loss. 

Message 6 of 15
latest reply

@m.shimo. also..  again make sure it's the actual buyer asking for the address change. 

Scammers look for sold items and try to trick sellers into shipping them an item they never paid for.   

Message 7 of 15
latest reply

@m.shimo wrote:

Can I cancel the item from my side without losing on any fees (sorry a little new with processing cancellations)?  I told that to the buyer as well, I can cancel the item and relist it so they can correct their shipping information, but they seem as though they are hesitant in putting their payment info in again.  Just seems like this situation is a little fishy for me.

Are you sure the message is from the buyer. Does the buyers ID and the ID on the messages match.

Scammers will send a message to a seller claiming to be their buyer trying to get them to ship an item to a different address.

Have a great day
Message 8 of 15
latest reply

When the payment is being submitted they're shown the shipping address.  If it's wrong  they change it on the payment form.  

If the address is in the same city only just a different street I'd go ahead and send it to their new address  because if tracking shows delivered to their city or the first three digits of their zip code your job is done.  And you have their message.  

Message 9 of 15
latest reply

@comics-scifi-collectibles wrote:

@m.shimo. If it is from the actual buyer you can cancel the sale as problem with buyer address.  

Hi @m.shimo, if you cancel using Problem with buyer's address, your buyer cannot go through Checkout again.

But if you refund at PayPal, the Pay Now button will reappear at eBay, then your buyer can go through Checkout again, this time providing the intended address.

Message 10 of 15
latest reply

This sounds good. Told them that due to the cost of the item, most I can do is either ship to the listed address on Ebay or they can send a refund request, then I can relist the item so that they can purchase it again via link through messages with the corrected shipping address on Ebay and Paypal.

This sounds bad.  Buyer told me that a refund would take a week to process (funds on hold via Paypal currently) and that sending an updated shipping address through Ebay messages should be sufficient. 

Scammers always try to rush things. (one week delay act)  Ebay shows the address,  any other place you send it to the buyer can say it never arrived.  I suspect he's a scammer with the contact outside eBay

Message 11 of 15
latest reply

Highly recommend that you follow the advice of comics-scifi-collectibles, otherwise you'll lose your Seller Protection.
Always better safe, than sorry.
Message 12 of 15
latest reply

@m.shimo wrote:

Sold an item for $450 and received payment from seller via Paypal however they are messaging that the shipping address listed on Ebay and Paypal is wrong.  Told them that due to the cost of the item, most I can do is either ship to the listed address on Ebay or they can send a refund request, then I can relist the item so that they can purchase it again via link through messages with the corrected shipping address on Ebay and Paypal.  Buyer told me that a refund would take a week to process (funds on hold via Paypal currently) and that sending an updated shipping address through Ebay messages should be sufficient.   Since the cost is relatively high, I do not feel comfortable simply shipping to an address other than what is listed on Ebay as I am covering for shipping for the buyer and it will put me at a disadvantage with seller protection in case a dispute is claimed.  What are my options going forward? 

On a side note, buyer has somehow found me on a separate social media platform and sent me a message outside of Ebay which I found a little odd. 

If your flag is not red enough at this point, go purchase a can of "fire engine red" paint, and keep spraying that flag until it is red enough to get your attention.

Messaging such as this should be on "eBay messaging". Coming from someplace else is very suspect.

Message 13 of 15
latest reply

@m.shimo   What  @buyselljack2016  said it's right to the point.  Cut your loses.   

Add this buyer to your blocked list.  I would not deal with them at all if they are the SAME buyer as you originally sold to.  Either way the person asking for the address change that tracked you down on social media needs to be blocked

https://offer.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?BidderBlockLogin

Message 14 of 15
latest reply

@ga-8370 wrote:

@comics-scifi-collectibles wrote:

Hi @m.shimo, if you cancel using Problem with buyer's address, your buyer cannot go through Checkout again.

But if you refund at PayPal, the Pay Now button will reappear at eBay, then your buyer can go through Checkout again, this time providing the intended address.

@ga-8370 if a sale is refunded on PayPal then the seller is not refunded eBay fees.    Won't the seller be charged again for fees when the buyer pays a second time this way?  

With the cancellation the buyer pays again from the relisted item 

Message 15 of 15
latest reply