cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Buyer Selected Shiping

I keep running into problems where this shipping options given to me don't match what I selected.  And I keep seeing "Buyer Selected" Shipping that does not jive with the item and what I've already selected.  I measure and weight my package, 9lbs. 8 oz.  10"x10"'15" and selected USPS GROUND.  After the sale and payment is received I am ready to ship and see the shipping options are NOT GROUND.  It says "Buyer Selected" USPS priority flat rate envelope.  This item does not ship in an envelope and if I select that shipping, the post office will give me a problem.  Last time this happened they told me they will charge my account if there is a difference in weight and that it was a problem because the label was for an envelope and it was a box package.  Now I am ready to ship this package and do not see USPS parcel select Ground!

Message 1 of 70
latest reply
69 REPLIES 69

Re: Buyer Selected Shiping

I can go to Paypal and print a label but now that they charge fees for shipping costs, I take another hit.

Paypal charges 2.9% + .30 transaction fee on the total payment.  There is no additional charge if you use Paypal to print your shipping labels.  If you are a top rated seller, you get a small discount if shipping using Priority and ebay shipping but not if using Paypal shipping.  I don't think the difference is that much.

disneyshopper
Volunteer Community Member

Message 16 of 70
latest reply

Priority mail/packages and Priority Flat Rate are not the same thing. Priority mail can go in any box etc but Priority Flat Rate has to go in Flat Rate boxes.  When you are doing the shipping part in the ad, compare rates generally I have found that Priority is maybe just a little more the ground.

Message 17 of 70
latest reply

Anonymous
Not applicable

@pooch422 wrote:

I keep running into problems where this shipping options given to me don't match what I selected.  And I keep seeing "Buyer Selected" Shipping that does not jive with the item and what I've already selected.  I measure and weight my package, 9lbs. 8 oz.  10"x10"'15" and selected USPS GROUND.  After the sale and payment is received I am ready to ship and see the shipping options are NOT GROUND.  It says "Buyer Selected" USPS priority flat rate envelope.  This item does not ship in an envelope and if I select that shipping, the post office will give me a problem.  Last time this happened they told me they will charge my account if there is a difference in weight and that it was a problem because the label was for an envelope and it was a box package.  Now I am ready to ship this package and do not see USPS parcel select Ground!

Hi @pooch422, USPS Retail Ground is not a service that can be purchased through online labels, only in retail locations. If you offer this service and try to print an eBay label, you will be shown an alternative option. Aside from that specific example, the "Buyer selected" option you are shown is going to be the option (or the closest option) that your buyer selected at checkout from the choices you provide in your listing. You are empowered to pick something else as you see fit, as you are not required to use a specific service to meet shipping expectations. 

For those sellers who see issues with Media Mail being selected for items that are not eligible for Media Mail, I can suggest that the shipping options for those listings be reviewed to be sure this option is not being presented to buyers. Either way, a seller will just need to purchase a shipping service that is applicable to the item and will ensure delivery in the time frame provided to the buyer.

Message 18 of 70
latest reply

@Anonymous wrote:

@pooch422 wrote:

Hi @pooch422, USPS Retail Ground is not a service that can be purchased through online labels, only in retail locations. If you offer this service and try to print an eBay label, you will be shown an alternative option. Aside from that specific example, the "Buyer selected" option you are shown is going to be the option (or the closest option) that your buyer selected at checkout from the choices you provide in your listing. You are empowered to pick something else as you see fit, as you are not required to use a specific service to meet shipping expectations. 

For those sellers who see issues with Media Mail being selected for items that are not eligible for Media Mail, I can suggest that the shipping options for those listings be reviewed to be sure this option is not being presented to buyers. Either way, a seller will just need to purchase a shipping service that is applicable to the item and will ensure delivery in the time frame provided to the buyer.

@Anonymous 

If you look at the last line of the op's post, he states that the listing was for Parcel Select which IS an online shipping option. There have been numerous posts recently about how the label defaults to a service that was not a choice on the listing and suggests that it was the 'buyer selected' choice.  I don't think that it is unrealistic for sellers to assume that the label will be showing the service(s) that was on the listing, not some other random service.

Message 19 of 70
latest reply

Priority mail/packages and Priority Flat Rate are not the same thing. Priority mail can go in any box etc but Priority Flat Rate has to go in Flat Rate boxes. 

Yes, I know that.  My reply made no mention of Priority/Priority Flat Rate.

Even though I ship from California, I find that it is less expensive to ship by Priority weight/destination, and NOT use Priority Flat Rate boxes.  I do use the regional rate A boxes for items that weigh more than 2 pounds.

disneyshopper
Volunteer Community Member

Message 20 of 70
latest reply

The OP is in NY, the buyer is in NY.

You can't select parcel select unless you check off the hazmat checkbox(which will cost more). You could select it for zones 5-9 though.

As for the shoes, you can't ship those media mail, so why have the option in the listing?

Message 21 of 70
latest reply

@earlyant-77 wrote:

You can't select parcel select unless you check off the hazmat checkbox(which will cost more). You could select it for zones 5-9 though.

As for the shoes, you can't ship those media mail, so why have the option in the listing?

unless there has been a recent change,  you are confusing Parcel Select(online label) with Retail Ground(retail at the counter)

Message 22 of 70
latest reply

@disneyshopper wrote:

Priority mail/packages and Priority Flat Rate are not the same thing. Priority mail can go in any box etc but Priority Flat Rate has to go in Flat Rate boxes. 

Yes, I know that.  My reply made no mention of Priority/Priority Flat Rate.

Even though I ship from California, I find that it is less expensive to ship by Priority weight/destination, and NOT use Priority Flat Rate boxes.  I do use the regional rate A boxes for items that weigh more than 2 pounds.

Looks like another case of the poster not "quoting" the person that they want to reply to.  Just tagging on after the last post they read😁

Message 23 of 70
latest reply

@earlyant-77 wrote:

The person posting about that did NOT offer Media mail shipping in the listing.

They offered Parcel Select, and Priority.

It is an eBay IT coding glitch showing Media Mail as a label choice.

Message 24 of 70
latest reply

@buyselljack2016 wrote:

@earlyant-77 wrote:

unless there has been a recent change,  you are confusing Parcel Select(online label) with Retail Ground(retail at the counter)

Yes I am. Sorry about that.

Message 25 of 70
latest reply

@buyselljack2016 wrote:

@earlyant-77 wrote:

The person posting about that did NOT offer Media mail shipping in the listing.

They offered Parcel Select, and Priority.

It is an eBay IT coding glitch showing Media Mail as a label choice.

I have never seen Media mail show up at all whenever I print a label, so I just assumed that it was a choice in the listing. My bad.

Message 26 of 70
latest reply

Did you ever get any help? Every day I have this issues. Last year I never had the problem but about to have to leave Ebay because of the issue. Cant seem to get any answers from Ebay. They love to say its my fault but never follow up with the reason. It's always my fault. Sold a lot of troll dolls today and when setting up I selected USPS parcel ground. After the sell it says buyer selected a a large envelope. I never offered that and cannot use that. It's only allowing me to chose flat rate services. Will not allow me to select anything else/ No FEDEX no UPS nothing but flat rate services which I never use. I'm not sure what to do. Ebay tells me their IT Tech is looking into it but then never respond. Same with the community, they never seem to have any answers(tried multiple times with no response). I'm going to ask again but if they cant help I'm going to start cancelling orders. Just don't care anymore. Good luck! If I ever get a clear answer I'll let you know, Charlie

Message 27 of 70
latest reply

By the way I tried the bulk shipping and still cant get USPS Parcel Select ground. It do give me more options but not the one I'm looking for. Next best service cost a couple dollars more. I am able to choose the right service through Pay pal but over 3 dollars more. This sucks. Charlie
Message 28 of 70
latest reply

@Anonymous, this is actually a technical issue that's popped up dozens of times on this forum the past week or two on the selling and shipping forums. Brian sent in a report on it March 27. For your reference:

https://community.ebay.com/t5/Shipping-Returns/Buyer-pays-shipping-Big-and-heavy-package-but-buyer-only-chose/m-p/30798839#M313932

GLORIOUS!

Confused about the switch to eBay discounted shipping? Read this discussion to make an informed decision about opt in / opt out.
Message 29 of 70
latest reply

Anonymous
Not applicable

@pjcdn2005 wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@pooch422 wrote:

@Anonymous 

If you look at the last line of the op's post, he states that the listing was for Parcel Select which IS an online shipping option. There have been numerous posts recently about how the label defaults to a service that was not a choice on the listing and suggests that it was the 'buyer selected' choice.  I don't think that it is unrealistic for sellers to assume that the label will be showing the service(s) that was on the listing, not some other random service.

Hi @pjcdn2005, thanks for the added clarification 🙂 I would need an example to review in more detail - the option being shown as "Buyer selected" is the option that was presented to the buyer at checkout that they chose unless there is a technical issue. With an item number, I can review for a potential technical issue and get that reported. 

Message 30 of 70
latest reply