cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Beware! 16 x 12 x 8 ebay shipping boxes arriving postage due

I just received a package back in the mail that shows over $13 due and is marked DIM WEIGHT.   This is a 16" x 12" x 8" ebay box I got from the ebay shipping supplies store.   I had a clerk at my local PO refuse a 12" x 12" x 12" Staples shpping box for dim weight last week.  If any side is even a tiny bit off they are nailing it for extra postage.   So even if your box is marked 12" x 12" x 12" you've got to measure it to make sure. 

Message 1 of 8
latest reply
7 REPLIES 7

Re: Beware! 16 x 12 x 8 ebay shipping boxes arriving postage due

Dimensional numbers on a box are always 'inside' dimensions. Add 1" to all 3 dimensions when listing/pricing. 16x12x8 will be under 1 cu.ft (1728) but 17x13x9 is over and will be charged dimensionally. 

Message 2 of 8
latest reply

You one of the lucky ones. At least yours are arriving.  Boxes that bulge are also getting flagged.  It's the love hate the USPS has with packages. They like the added business they bring in. However, the entire system from sorting to mail carts to postal machines was designed to handle flats.  Letters and junk mail is what they really want.

Message 3 of 8
latest reply

I always personally drop my pre-paid USPS packages off at my local post office.  It's right on the way to other local stops.  If I'm in doubt about the dimensions, I will ask the clerk to measure it to see if they agree with my measurements. 

I was surprised by one where USPS made an automatic deduction from my paypal account for the difference in postage as paypal  is the funding source for my labels.

My post office told me that they accept all prepaid packages even when they can see the weight is wrong or it's oversized without warning the customer.  They have been told not to warn the customer as it will be caught later in USPS sorting facilities.  They know you may have received a label discount when pre-paying, and if it's actually heavier or bigger than what you paid for they will recalculate the shipping charges without the discount and charge you for the difference.  So they are instructed not to warn the customer which would give the customer a chance to void the incorrect label, find a smaller box, and/or print a new label with the correct weight and size still able to get their online discount. 

It's kind of annoying, if you walked into a post office with a package that you needed to buy postage for, they will weigh it and measure it and tell you what it costs, but if you walk in with a prepaid package they won't measure it even when they know it's wrong, letting you wait to find out the hard way.

Message 4 of 8
latest reply

That's part of why you get a discount when you purchase online postage: You're not using staff time for counter services such as weighing and measuring your packages.  

Here's some information about the automated package verification system that has been set up in sorting centers.  Credits (for overpayments) and charges (for postage due) show up on your eBay account when you purchase postage through eBay.

https://link.usps.com/2017/10/05/what-is-apv/

http://pages.ebay.com/sellerinformation/ship-smart/ebay-shipping-partners/avoid-extra-postage-costs....

Message 5 of 8
latest reply

I take everything to the post office.  Since the pandemic started I drop boxes in the bin if I can.  If they're too big or the bin is full I take them to the counter.    They have started measuring everything that isn't tiny.   You are correct that they have no idea what the postage should be because they have no idea what our discounts are.   I have used these boxes for several years without  issue.   I've switched all of my bigger stuff to FedEx which is cheaper anyway.   I tried to support the PO but I've had it.    I have one clerk that is nice and helpful and the others seem to get joy out of giving people a hard time.  

Message 6 of 8
latest reply

My package came back from CA to IN postage due.  They didn't charge my account.   The strange thing is that the buyer never contacted me.   I refunded him and apologized.  

Message 7 of 8
latest reply

Just trying to warn anyone that has been using those boxes without issue.  I've used them for several years.  I never thought to measure them.    My fault, but trying to help others not make the same expensive mistake. 

Message 8 of 8
latest reply