cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

BUYER SCAM RETURN

ON APRIL 29TH I RECEIVED A MESSAGE FROM A BUYER WHO WANTED TO PURCHASE A NEW SHIRT FROM ME.  HE ASKED ME TO CHANGE THE SHIPPING FROM FIRST CLASS TO PRIORITY BECAUSE HE NEEDED THE SHIRT BY MAY 2 FOR A GRADUATION EVENT.  I AGREE TO DO THIS.  THE NEXT MORNING I SHIPPED THE PACKAGE.  I TRACKED THE PACKAGE AND IT WAS DELIVERED THE MORNING OF MAY 2.  ON MAY 8TH I RECEIVED A MESSAGE FROM THE BUYER THAT HE WOULD LIKE TO RETURN THE SHIRT.  THE REASON GIVEN WAS THAT IT DID NOT FIT.  HE MADE SURE IN HIS COMMENTS TO MENTION THAT HE DID NOT WEAR THE SHIRT.  I QUESTIONED THIS BUYER AS TO WHY HE WAITED 6 DAYS TO CONTACT ME?  HIS REPLY WAS THAT HE OPENED THE PACKAGE AND HE VISUALLY DETERMINED THE SHIRT WAS TOO SMALL.  VISUALLY? REALLY?.  THE SHIRT ARRIVED BACK WITH ONE OF THE TAGS MISSING AND SHOVED INTO AN ENVELOPE.  I SENT THE SHIRT NEATLY FOLDED AND PACKED CAREFULLY IN A POLY MAILER.  THIS BUYER OBVIOUSLY WORE THE SHIRT AND DECIDED TO RETURN IT.  IF I CONTACT EBAY REGARDING THIS WE ALL KNOW WHAT WILL HAPPEN. NOTHING.  WITH THIS FREE RETURNS POLICY WHICH I WILL NOT BE PARTICIPATING IN THIS IS JUST AN INVITATION FOR THIS KIND OF ABUSE THAT WILL RUN RAMPANT

Message 1 of 55
latest reply
54 REPLIES 54

BUYER SCAM RETURN

I think we should work with the buyers and try to accept returns.  BUT, I agree  it should be a the buyers expense to return.  We post the size and the measurement for info.  If they don't like it and  or it doesn't fit it is not our fault.  They should pay for returns.  NOW, on the other hand if they order a L and we send XL or the wrong color or item and it is our fault, then free return shipping should apply.  I think 30 return to keep power seller status  is a mistake.  That gives them time to use or wear an item.  If I order something on eBay and there is a problem I contact the seller as soon as I open the package.  4 weeks is a long time for a buyers to all of a sudden complain about their purschase.

Message 2 of 55
latest reply

BUYER SCAM RETURN

PS  I don't think the buyer should be able to refurse payment, it should only go through resolve a problem and NO money taken out of paypal with a case or something.

Message 3 of 55
latest reply

BUYER SCAM RETURN

The problem you just described is exactly what 'Sellers Protection' was made for. Call eBay but be sure and ask for the 'Resolution Department'. Do not talk with any other department as they cannot help you. When you reach the representative, tell them exactly what you wrote here; that you accepted the return only to get it back opened and worn. Tell them you feel you should also get your shipping costs returned to you as well. Most important, when you do call, remain calm and do not get upset. It is okay to tell them that you are upset but be kind to the person who can help you. You should receive both the payment and shipping back on this. So, open the case with this rep. and see what happens. Be sure and tell them you cannot run a business with buyers ordering then wearing and then returning your items all on your dime. Good luck.
Message 4 of 55
latest reply

BUYER SCAM RETURN

@luxgoods wrote:

WITH THIS FREE RETURNS POLICY WHICH I WILL NOT BE PARTICIPATING IN THIS IS JUST AN INVITATION FOR THIS KIND OF ABUSE THAT WILL RUN RAMPANT

If you offer free returns, you can keep up to 50% of the sale price if the item is not returned in the condition it was received.

It is another ill-concieved eBay policy, and ignores much better ways to solve issues with problem buyers, but just clarifying what eBay is offering with free returns.

Message 5 of 55
latest reply

BUYER SCAM RETURN

@fine_find wrote:
The problem you just described is exactly what 'Sellers Protection' was made for. Call eBay but be sure and ask for the 'Resolution Department'. Do not talk with any other department as they cannot help you. When you reach the representative, tell them exactly what you wrote here; that you accepted the return only to get it back opened and worn. Tell them you feel you should also get your shipping costs returned to you as well. Most important, when you do call, remain calm and do not get upset. It is okay to tell them that you are upset but be kind to the person who can help you. You should receive both the payment and shipping back on this. So, open the case with this rep. and see what happens. Be sure and tell them you cannot run a business with buyers ordering then wearing and then returning your items all on your dime. Good luck.

I don't think you understand the narrow scope of eBay seller protection policies.  eBay seller protection does not protect you from theft, fraud, scams, returning items in degraded condition, etc.

They may offer a seller a courtesy refund under some circumstances, however.  Maybe this is what you mean.

Message 6 of 55
latest reply

BUYER SCAM RETURN

This is exactly the reason why I will never offer free returns.  This scam buyer paid for the postage both ways as I declined giving a refund on postage when I issued the refund.  

Message 7 of 55
latest reply

BUYER SCAM RETURN

I understand exactly what Ebay Seller Protection is as I have read the policy extensively.  Most of what is in that policy is never really enforced and it takes too much time to resolve issues with customer service reps that barely speak english and are not trained properly

Message 8 of 55
latest reply

BUYER SCAM RETURN

Don't sell clothing on eBay. You will be better off taking a tax deduction from your local Salvation Army. You do not even get that from eBay when you give away your clothing.
Message 9 of 55
latest reply

BUYER SCAM RETURN

@luxgoods wrote:

I understand exactly what Ebay Seller Protection is as I have read the policy extensively.  Most of what is in that policy is never really enforced and it takes too much time to resolve issues with customer service reps that barely speak english and are not trained properly

The seller protection policy is so bare that there's nothing really to enforce.  In my understanding, there's really only four "protections":

1. A buyer claims item not received when tracking shows delivered to the address of the buyer (or the address the buyer provided in an eBay message) ... eBay will side with the seller.
  2. A buyer leaves inappropriate feedback (several ways this happens) ... eBay will often remove it.
  3. A buyer opens a MBG claim, but in messages admits they effectively lied and the return reason is remorse:  (a) if the seller accepts returns, eBay will often support the seller by paying for return shipping after you accept the return and receive back the item; (b) if the seller does not accept returns, eBay may support the seller by refusing the return ... seems to be about 50/50.
  4. A buyer returns something damaged, used, opened, etc. ... eBay protects you up to 50% only if you have free return shipping.
Message 10 of 55
latest reply

BUYER SCAM RETURN

@orangehound wrote:

@luxgoods wrote:

WITH THIS FREE RETURNS POLICY WHICH I WILL NOT BE PARTICIPATING IN THIS IS JUST AN INVITATION FOR THIS KIND OF ABUSE THAT WILL RUN RAMPANT

If you offer free returns, you can keep up to 50% of the sale price if the item is not returned in the condition it was received.

It is another ill-concieved eBay policy, and ignores much better ways to solve issues with problem buyers, but just clarifying what eBay is offering with free returns.

I did not know eBay is now including clothing for the up to 50% refund. Plz supply the link where it says this so I can feel secure in offering free returns on my clothing listings. thnx!

Message 11 of 55
latest reply

BUYER SCAM RETURN

@orangehound wrote:

@luxgoods wrote:

1. A buyer returns something damaged, used, opened, etc. ... eBay protects you up to 50% only if you have free return shipping.

Can u supply the link that states clothing is now a part of this up to 50% refund? thnx

Message 12 of 55
latest reply

BUYER SCAM RETURN

@stuff4divas wrote:

@orangehound wrote:

@luxgoods wrote:

I did not know eBay is now including clothing for the up to 50% refund. Plz supply the link where it says this so I can feel secure in offering free returns on my clothing listings. thnx!

1. Go to the Seller Protection Policy
  2. Click on the "Read our Full Policy"
  3. Click on "A returned item has been opened, used, or damaged"

The policy reads:

When you offer free returns and accept the return:

• You will have access to use the partial refund tool for items that come back used, damaged, or missing parts
  • Starting June 1, 2018, if the buyer leaves negative or neutral feedback for any reason or escalates an eBay Money Back Guarantee claim, we will automatically remove the feedback and protect you from impacts to your standards
  • If the buyer escalates, eBay will resolve the issue directly with the buyer, and you don't need to worry
Message 13 of 55
latest reply

BUYER SCAM RETURN

@orangehound wrote:

@stuff4divas wrote:

@orangehound wrote:

@luxgoods wrote:

1. Go to the Seller Protection Policy
  2. Click on the "Read our Full Policy"
  3. Click on "A returned item has been opened, used, or damaged"

The policy reads:

When you offer free returns and accept the return:

• You will have access to use the partial refund tool for items that come back used, damaged, or missing parts
  • Starting June 1, 2018, if the buyer leaves negative or neutral feedback for any reason or escalates an eBay Money Back Guarantee claim, we will automatically remove the feedback and protect you from impacts to your standards
  • If the buyer escalates, eBay will resolve the issue directly with the buyer, and you don't need to worry

Thank u for this general info, but the below policy is precise. I thought you knew of an overriding policy that included clothing and/or other items as well.

Sellers will also be able to issue a partial refund for all returns where the item is returned used or damaged in select categories, including Business & Industrial, Parts & Accessories, Collectibles & Art, Cameras & Photo, Medical, Mobility & Disability Equipment, Home Improvement, Furniture, Musical Instruments & Gear, and Yard, Garden & Outdoor.

Message 14 of 55
latest reply

BUYER SCAM RETURN

@stuff4divas wrote:

Thank u for this general info, but the below policy is precise. I thought you knew of an overriding policy that included clothing and/or other items as well.

Sellers will also be able to issue a partial refund for all returns where the item is returned used or damaged in select categories, including Business & Industrial, Parts & Accessories, Collectibles & Art, Cameras & Photo, Medical, Mobility & Disability Equipment, Home Improvement, Furniture, Musical Instruments & Gear, and Yard, Garden & Outdoor.

The policy I provided to you is the overriding policy - that is the official language of eBay.

The listing of categories you quoted above is from the Spring Seller Update (a news item), and it is a promise that special categories do not need free 30-day returns in order to have access to the partial refund capability.   However, the policy currently does not articulate that this is the case, so either the policy has not been updated or eBay has decided to not implement that caveat.

Message 15 of 55
latest reply