cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Asking for advice on how to handle return request situation

Hi everyone.  As a somewhat inexperienced/ infrequent eBay seller, I'm looking for some insight and advice on how to handle a situation regarding a buyer asking for a return.

Quick recap:  I sold a high end collectible action figure in like-new condition for several hundred dollars, and the buyer (who has wonderful reviews as both a buyer and seller) bought it a week ago but recently sent me a return request.  The reason is listed as: Accidentally Purchased.  His message states the figure he bought from me does not attach/ coordinate with another figure he already owns like he hoped it would, and as such, he would like to return it.  (Nothing in my original listing advertised or noted anything about attaching/ coordinating with other figures.  I advertised it as a stand alone figure).  

I had listed no refunds or returns on my listing (or at least had it typed out in the description), but judging by so many of the posts on these message boards, it really seems to me that doesn't mean much these days.  I'm tempted to decline the request as his reasoning has nothing to do with the quality or issue with the figure, rather, it just doesn't match an existing collection of his the way he wanted it to.  It kind of feels like if a person bought a car and then wanted to return it because it turns out the car doesn't fit in the garage.  

I don't sell on eBay often and while I'm certainly tempted to decline the request, I'm equally fearful of some of the return horror stories I've read on these message boards i.e. eBay gets in involved, sides with the buyer's reasoning regardless of the situation, and the seller ultimately loses the item AND has to refund the buyer.

How have you folks handled situations like this in the past?  I would love some advice or suggestions on how to proceed.  Ultimately, I'm not trying to get into some dispute and it may simply be worth just accepting the return and re-listing the item (assuming the buyer has kept it in good condition since he received it).  But I at least wanted to ask you experienced sellers first.

Thanks.
Message 1 of 9
latest reply
1 BEST ANSWER

Accepted Solutions

Re: Asking for advice on how to handle return request situation

If you have no returns, then you can deny the return because it would be considered a remorse return and Ebay should take your side, if they try to go that way..

If the buyer decides to file an INAD, you won't have much choice but to accept the return and pay to have the item shipped back.

I take returns so it doesn't make any difference to me if they want to pay to return an item, but if i didn't, if the buyer is being honest as the reason, like this buyer, I'd let them return it.

Now, if they gave some story like I was drunk when I ordered it, my cat stepped on the keyboard and ordered it, or my butt ordered it when it was in my back pocket, then I would deny the return.

Have a great day

View Best Answer in original post

Message 6 of 9
latest reply
8 REPLIES 8

@zigzagg37 wrote:
It kind of feels like if a person bought a car and then wanted to return it because it turns out the car doesn't fit in the garage.

Don't laugh; my neighbor faced that exact problem when he discovered that his new 1980s Buick LeSabre wouldn't fit in his 1930s-era one-car garage. Rather than take a bath on the depreciation, he put up with the inconvenience of parking it in the driveway for the few years that he had it.

So anyway, your best solution is to take it back for a refund. With luck, your buyer will not be swapping out the item for another one before returning it. (Let us know here if that happens, before you take any other action.) I don't see a good outcome by refusing the return, even though it does smell like Buyer Remorse more than anything else.

Message 2 of 9
latest reply

This has been my gut feeling - go ahead with the refund. I'm hoping his extensive positive reviews bode well for me.
Message 3 of 9
latest reply

DO NOT REFUND UNTIL YOU GET THE ITEM BACK!  Sorry for all caps but this is very important...never issue a refund until the item is back in your possession.

Message 4 of 9
latest reply

If you had no returns listed on your item, then purchased by mistake isn't a valid reason. You SHOULD be able to deny it or call ebay and have them decline it. ****BUT**** things have change a lot since I sold last. 

There's a very real possibility that taking a return, that you'd get nothing or the wrong figure back.  

Message 5 of 9
latest reply

If you have no returns, then you can deny the return because it would be considered a remorse return and Ebay should take your side, if they try to go that way..

If the buyer decides to file an INAD, you won't have much choice but to accept the return and pay to have the item shipped back.

I take returns so it doesn't make any difference to me if they want to pay to return an item, but if i didn't, if the buyer is being honest as the reason, like this buyer, I'd let them return it.

Now, if they gave some story like I was drunk when I ordered it, my cat stepped on the keyboard and ordered it, or my butt ordered it when it was in my back pocket, then I would deny the return.

Have a great day
Message 6 of 9
latest reply

Thanks for the reply. Quick question just for clarification. If I were to decline and the buyer were to file an INAD, this means I would be forced to refund the buyer but I would still get the figure back? Or is there a scenario would they keep the item and I also have to refund the buyer - effectively a lose lose. I've never been in an INAD situation and am just curious to understand what it could entail. Thanks again!
Message 7 of 9
latest reply

@zigzagg37 wrote:
Quick question just for clarification. If I were to decline and the buyer were to file an INAD, this means I would be forced to refund the buyer but I would still get the figure back?

If they file an INAD, and you accept it and provide return shipping, then you wait until the item is returned to refund.

If they file an INAD and you try to fight it or deny the return, buyer could ask Ebay to step in and they could let the buyer keep the item and refund them from your Pay Pal account.

Have a great day
Message 8 of 9
latest reply

Hey everyone, I thought I'd pop in and give a quick update on what happened with the situation.  I ultimately decided I would go ahead and accept the buyer's request to return the item.  I understood the risk involved - the buyer could easily place a different busted figure in the box or return the box without any figure in it at all, etc.  That being said, if I denied the return request, I ran the possibilty of the buyer filing an INAD or even going to PayPal to force a return.  As such, I decided simply accepting the return was a risk worth taking.  I also opted to video record myself opening the package just to help provide evidence in the event that there was something wrong, however, after a very thorough and careful inspection, I'm pleased to say everything was in exact order just as I had sent to him.  Once I knew everything was in order, I granted the buyer his refund. 

In the end, it was a case of buyer's remorse and I was very fortunate to have everything work out well.  (I felt the need to share this as there are so many stories of things ending poorly for sellers - rarely do you see a positive outcome posted on these boards).  I'm thankful and am now also more aware of the potential for buyers scamming sellers out there - this certainly helps as I consider selling items on eBay in the future.  Thank you, everyone, for your messages and suggestions, I sincerely appreciate the help.

Message 9 of 9
latest reply