cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Are there common scams about address switching?

I'm a pretty new eBay seller, and my first big sale has just been made... unfortunately, the buyer is a new account that hasn't made any previous purchases or sales of their own and left a buyer's note saying that their eBay address wasn't the correct one to ship to. They provided a new address, saying eBay wouldn't accept it for some reason, and the address provided seems a little odd. 

I'm pretty worried I'm going to send this item to them and they're going to claim a refund once they get it by stating that it was shipped to the incorrect address or even say it never arrived. I don't sell much, and losing this item without proper pay would be a huge financial blow. As such, I just want to reach out and see if this is a known eBay scam tactic, what steps I may be able to take so I don't get cheated out of anything, and whether or not I'm being way too concerned about nothing.

Any advice would be of great help - to my conscious, if nothing else. Thanks for reading

Message 1 of 7
latest reply
1 BEST ANSWER

Accepted Solutions

Re: Are there common scams about address switching?

That's a common scam.

Tell buyer that you can only ship to the address they provide when they pay.

I would cancel the order as a problem with the buyers address, then add them to your BBL.

https://www.ebay.com/bmgt/buyerrequirements

Have a great day

View Best Answer in original post

Message 3 of 7
latest reply
6 REPLIES 6

Do NOT send it to any address other than the one they have in Ebay. Tell them you will need to cancel the order and they can repurchase after putting the correct address in.....you most likely will not hear from them again. Just cancel the sale with "Problem with buyers address".

Message 2 of 7
latest reply

That's a common scam.

Tell buyer that you can only ship to the address they provide when they pay.

I would cancel the order as a problem with the buyers address, then add them to your BBL.

https://www.ebay.com/bmgt/buyerrequirements

Have a great day
Message 3 of 7
latest reply

That is a classic.    Let them know you can't switch addresses and ask if they want to cancel. 

You can cancel the sale now. Be sure to select problem with address for the reason.  Save their message and add them to your blocked bidder list.

Message 4 of 7
latest reply

SCAM!! Change the address and you lose your seller rights< Cancel as "Problem with buyers address"< Block buyer now<

Message 5 of 7
latest reply

Thank you for your help and feedback!

Message 6 of 7
latest reply

Thank you for your help and feedback! I've canceled the order, cited the buyer's address as the issue, and let the buyer know they can re-make the purchase with the correct address. 

Message 7 of 7
latest reply