cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

After 19 Years of Selling on eBay I Can No Longer Accept Returns

Thanks to eBay's new streamlined return policy making fraud as easy as clicking a button, I'm done with returns because buyers changed their mind or decided they didn't need the item they purchased.  

I've been selling used auto parts for Land Rovers for years on eBay, starting way back in the spring of 1999.  I've been a top rated seller since the program was started.  My feedback hasn't ever been below 99.6 (typically it's between 99.8 and 100%) with almost 20,000 transactions under my belt.  But, sadly, I have been plagued lately with buyers who have fraudulently returned items.   To put it bluntly, they've taken the parts I shipped them, installed those working parts, opened up a return request (ranging from "changed my mind" to "defective") and sent back their broken parts.  Sometimes, they don't even bother to safely package the parts!

One example that is particularly egregious was an item that had been painted with an identifying mark before it was shipped in an effort to insure that, should there be a return, I would be able to confirm that the part was, in fact mine.  The buyer claimed the part was defective and sent it back.  The part did not have the paint marking that had been put on it before I shipped it.  Essentially, the buyer installed my part and returned their broken part for a full refund included shipping both ways.

Another was where the buyer purchased a part, the kind of part that, if it's broken, your vehicle is not running.  They got the part and within a few days opened a request for a return because they had "changed their mind."  I find it curious, if your truck isn't running and you order a part to fix it, why, after receiving the part would you suddenly "change your mind."  Well, I test all the electrical parts I ship out right before I put them in the box.  This particular part was a solenoid so it was really easy to test with 12 volts.  

On Monday I got back a box that had a part banging around in it like a child's rattle.  It was the part the buyer had changed their mind over.  No packing, no protection, even the box was closed using silver duct tape!  Are you at all surprised that the part didn't have my usual enamel marking on it.  Would you be surprised to learn the part failed the simple 12 volt test.  Would it be reasonable to suspect that the buyer took my working part, installed it on his vehicle, got it running and used it to bring his broken part in the box with no packing to the post office to return for a full refund?

The third return involved another electrical part that is essential for a vehicle to run.  The buyer bought it and before he even received it requested a return claiming they "no longer needed it."  The part was a genuine Bosch part with Bosch markings all over it.  What did I get back in the return?  It was a cheap knock off from China with no markings on it at all.  I'd never even seen one so poorly made before.  Do you think the buyer might have thought he was saving a ton of money by purchasing a cheap Chinese part (probably for less than the cost of shipping my genuine Bosch part) only to find that those parts have a high failure rate.  So, to solve his problem he bought the genuine part from me, installed it, got his vehicle running and drove it to the post office where he mailed off the Chinese knock off for a full refund.

In just three transactions I've lost my Top Rated Seller Discount for two months.  Does eBay care? Of course they don't.  They would rather believe a buyer who's been on the site for six months with a dozen feedbacks (all positive because a seller can't even hint at malfeasace when leaving feedback) than a seller for 19 years with almost 20,000 positive feedback ratings.

The treatment sellers receive on this site gets more and more insulting every day.  So from here on out, no more easy returns for this seller.  I'm done being the welcome mat for every perpetrator of fraud eBay seems to court on their "platform."

Message 1 of 131
latest reply
130 REPLIES 130

I sincerely sympathize with you - this is an INCORRECT SOLUTION eBay !!!
Message 31 of 131
latest reply

Its sad as another example of how they don't realize what they are doing is incorrect.  A General Motors NOS (New Old Stock) part is in its original package and unopened.  I took pictures of the part in its package and listed the item.  A majority of these parts are no longer available (1963-1973 Corvette's).  The part sells and the customer receives the part and said, its not as described.  Oh please, its in its original package with a part and group number and you can see in the pictures, its never been out of the package.  And on the front of the package GM states, not refundable if opened.  The guy opened a case they made me return the item and of course, he returned a different part.  I called Ebay and explained this to them the part was not the same and they said you received a box and they issued a refund.  I explained if a package is opened its not refunded and its states direct from General Motors right on the package.  The Ebay associate on the phone stated (who's General Motors), I about fell over.  I said do you know Toyota and they replied yes, of course.  I said at one time GM was one of the largest companies in the US and larger then Toyota.  I lost the part and it cost me the return, they don't care.

Message 32 of 131
latest reply

I truly hope someone from ebay reads some of these postings.  Ebay is a scammers paradise and the reason for this is that ebay allows it to happen.  I agree, I would never sell anything over 200.00.  You listed your item in good faith hopeful for positive results and then the scammers swooped in.  The buyer who is threatening your seller status should be reported as it is clearly extortion.  

Message 33 of 131
latest reply

There would be NO Ebay without sellers and yet the sellers continue to be screwed over with fees and returns. When I started over 15 years ago it was fun selling. Now it has become a headache with all the rules and regulations to follow.
Message 34 of 131
latest reply

Let me know when you have that website up. I am sick and tired of Ebay screwing sellers over on fees and returns. There would be no Ebay without sellers and yet no one understands that. It was fun selling when I started over 15 years ago. Now it is just a headache to deal with all the rules and policies that a seller has to deal with.
Message 35 of 131
latest reply

There would be No Ebay without sellers and yet the sellers are constantly charged more fees and made to deal with more rules or Ebay policy to follow. I've been selling for over 15 years. It used to be fun. Now it is more of a headache.
Message 36 of 131
latest reply

Keep screwing the sellers over and there will be no Ebay.

Message 37 of 131
latest reply

I agree with you 100 percent. Ebay does not care about the integrity of their sellers & prefer to side with unscrupulous buyers. Sellers, small and large, lose money more than make due to unfair Ebay unfair practices.
Message 38 of 131
latest reply

What's sad is people on both sides Ebay/sellers have brought things down to the current policies.  Now, on a lot of items I have no shipping as I would rather hand a part to someone in person so they can see it and check it out.  Anything over several hundred (300.00-2500.00) for the most part is pick up or I'll see you at a swap meet and hand it to you.  What I'm interested in is if anyone has a workable solution for both of us.  I know they spend a lot of money promoting Ebay but they are not doing well against Amazon (nor is anyone else) and lose market share.  Our webpage is under construction (but currently open) and I learned it takes a while getting it going.  And your right to a point ( Keep screwing the sellers over and there will be no Ebay) or at least, a profitable one.

Message 39 of 131
latest reply

@ptgnunn wrote:

Are we able to block certain sellers?  

Buyers, yes, Sellers, there is no need, just don't buy from them

Message 40 of 131
latest reply

Returns is completely out of control. I have been BEGGING eBay to be more prolific in how returns are handled, buyers need to jump through a couple more hoops before they can just retunr something because at least 90 percent of my "NAD" cases are actually buyer's remorse cases in which the buyer LIED to avoid return shipping and the restocking fee. It's time-consuming to fight these disputes, and in most cases, the buyer IS getting away with fraud. But I suppose fraud is okay, as long as a seller doesn't try to take a sale off eBay. That's the only time "fraud" is a concern with eBay.
So in response, what does eBay do? They take away the middle step where buyers have to lie. They can just begin a return for no reason at all and we have to accept it (under eBay's suggested free returns policy - what a joke).
This is really the only thing a do not enjoy about selling on eBay.
Message 41 of 131
latest reply

By making this change to your return policy, you will have nothing but NAD returns, so you essentially are placing them in a position where every request for return is your fault, eliminating the possibility for buyer's remorse. You cannot decline NAD returns. Your strategy will not resolve your problem.
Message 42 of 131
latest reply

i had this happen to me with an expensive computer i sold to a church org that i thougth i was doing something to help many people who couldnt afford the item. i took a donation credit for part payment.  to long a story but computer was damaged supposeably in mail n then was pulled apart n tampered with n parts replaced   i got it back completely worthless   to much fraudent activity going on n as a seller is hard to detect    thank u for your insight

Message 43 of 131
latest reply

Wish I knew you when the fluid hose burst on my RR on the highway, blew head gasket and 2 cylinders..nightmare! Antifreeze was coming out the tailpipe..car was dead within minutes. $27,500 for new engine not including labor, so rebuilt and parts were a big issue in obtaining. I’ll follow you just in case, I’m scared! But I also agree with everything you’ve stated except that ebay will force returns on you if you don’t accept them, happened to me today, it’s like night and day, there is no interest in seller protection or ability to set policies. It’s very disappointing, well actually infuriating, but I give up!
Message 44 of 131
latest reply

please message me with any platforms you’ve found worthwhile. I sell on another small platform and then another large one, but always interested in cutting the umbilical cord here sooner rather than later, thank you in advance.
Message 45 of 131
latest reply