cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

A rather strange Return to Sender case.

On the buyer’s sales ticket there is a street address and an apartment number. So I printed the label, no changes, and sent it out. Just got it back “Insufficient address”. To my astonishment the apartment number did not print when I generated the label. The only anomaly I see is that there is no space between “apt” and the first number. In other words “apt123” instead of “apt 123”.

I see posts in these boards about items returned for insufficient addresses. But this is a case of the address was correct and the label printer decided to drop part of the address. Because it didn’t like the format?

Message 1 of 26
latest reply
25 REPLIES 25

@wastingtime101 wrote:

😂Clearly you've never browsed their website @pjcdn2005 . It is FULL of cheesy pirate lingo. Drives @fern*wood crazy. The CS reps all use the lingo, too. Their CS is chat-based and appears to be in the US.

Every email begins: Ahoy PJ!

Label purchase confirmation emails are signed: ARRRRrrrrr... we thank y'ee f'er y'er business!

The last announced price increase email began: Yo ho ho ho PJ! It's that time of the year again

And it ended: 

If you run into any questions just give us a shout. We're always here for ya matey!

ARRrrr,
The holly jolly crew at Pirate Ship

And as an add on to that - when you ask a question it is common to get a reply that says something like "Let me go below decks and check with the crew". In a strange way I find it somewhat endearing that they are not the starched collar type.

Message 16 of 26
latest reply

You're right. I've never looked at their website but I think that it might drive me a little crazy too!

Message 17 of 26
latest reply

@fabulous_fragrance wrote:

I had a similar experience recently with Pirate Ship. In my case, the buyer uses both a street address and a PO Box to cover Ups/FedEx and USPS shipments. The street address was on the first line and since the USPS address validation system does not recognize that address as having any additional information, Pirate Ship stripped out the Box number. The package came back with a "no mail receptacle" designation and I had no idea what happened until I compared the address label with the eBay order details when I was composing my initial message to the customer.

I agree that Pirate Ship's reply is bunk, which is disappointing, since their CS is usually top notch. There is a setting in Pirate Ship under General Settings called Address Settings where you can Disable automatic address validation and correction from USPS. Since we can't change anything about an address imported from eBay, this seems to be a helpful step. But this issue makes it harder to choose to use Pirate Ship on a day with several orders to ship, because it means extra time that we shouldn't have to waste. 

Funny they didn't mention that. Thanks for the info.

Message 18 of 26
latest reply

In addition to a printed label, you can write additional information on the envelope in pen.

Most letter carriers are literate, it's practically a prerequisite for the job.

Message 19 of 26
latest reply

@pjcdn2005 wrote:

You're right. I've never looked at their website but I think that it might drive me a little crazy too!

You have a sign an agreement to wear an eye patch just to access the print label button! 😉  I don't want to be a pirate.

I must say I don't like this verify the address thing.

Message 20 of 26
latest reply

@richard1rst wrote:

@wastingtime101 wrote:

From where did you purchase the label?

I've had issues like that on stamps.com where stamps dropped info but eBay labels did not.

Pirateship. I have been using them for many many years and I have never seen this happen.

I’ve seen this happen once since I started using Pirateship about 2 years ago. It happened to me about 2-3 months ago and Pirateship never gave any prompt or notification of the omission. I believe it was a domestic address. I noticed the imported address was missing the apt number so I just created a new standalone one within Pirateship and intended to just manually upload the tracking. I pasted the entire address in that text box for the system to fill in the appropriate fields for me. I then noticed that it STILL missed adding the apt number in Address Line 2 despite me having it in that original text box. I started to wonder if that address even had apartments so I googled it and it checked out. I then manually typed the apt number into Address Line 2. When I went to the final page with the “Buy label” button, it shows the shipping address on the top left corner. That address STILL was missing the apt number. For some reason it didn’t want to port over. Then I tried putting it in the end of Address Line 1, no dice. Finally I just added the apt number after the buyer’s first/last name in the same text box while leaving Address Line 2 blank and that finally worked despite the label showing the apt on the same line as the addressee’s name. Had it not, I was just going to write it in by hand once the label prints out.

No idea what caused that but since then I told my guys to be more cautious with unit numbers and Pirateship making sure everything gets ported over completely.

Message 21 of 26
latest reply

Hm, I don’t think I like that answer from them. I agree with you that there’s no way I’m going to waste time and double check Pirateship’s copy/paste skills for every label. That’s as ridiculous as Microsoft telling all users to double check each time they Ctrl-C, Ctrl-V everything.

I don’t think the rep was correct in the reason why your unit number was missing because I’ve seen some whacky written addresses get ported over the exact kooky way the buyer entered it, character for character. There’s no way Pirateship let those pass and stopped yours because the apt was entered in the wrong area.

Message 22 of 26
latest reply

@wastingtime101 wrote:

At the same time, eBay should not be accepting addresses in an "incorrect format" so I suppose the issue stems from eBay, but I fault both platforms on this one.

Yes, mentioned to eBay many times over the last many years. It’s like talking to a brick wall.

Message 23 of 26
latest reply

@iamalwaysright wrote:

@richard1rst wrote:

@wastingtime101 wrote:

From where did you purchase the label?

I've had issues like that on stamps.com where stamps dropped info but eBay labels did not.

Pirateship. I have been using them for many many years and I have never seen this happen.

I’ve seen this happen once since I started using Pirateship about 2 years ago. It happened to me about 2-3 months ago and Pirateship never gave any prompt or notification of the omission. I believe it was a domestic address. I noticed the imported address was missing the apt number so I just created a new standalone one within Pirateship and intended to just manually upload the tracking. I pasted the entire address in that text box for the system to fill in the appropriate fields for me. I then noticed that it STILL missed adding the apt number in Address Line 2 despite me having it in that original text box. I started to wonder if that address even had apartments so I googled it and it checked out. I then manually typed the apt number into Address Line 2. When I went to the final page with the “Buy label” button, it shows the shipping address on the top left corner. That address STILL was missing the apt number. For some reason it didn’t want to port over. Then I tried putting it in the end of Address Line 1, no dice. Finally I just added the apt number after the buyer’s first/last name in the same text box while leaving Address Line 2 blank and that finally worked despite the label showing the apt on the same line as the addressee. Had it not, I was just going to write it in by hand once the label prints out.

No idea what caused that but since then I told my guys to be more cautious with unit numbers and Pirateship making sure everything gets ported over completely.

In the past Pirateship has told me that we are not allowed to alter an eBay address. So in those cases I click "Create a single label" and manually enter everything as if it is not an eBay shipment. Then delete the eBay download from PS list. The only thing then is that you have to manually transfer the tracking number to eBay.

That actually makes their earlier statement (from post #9) "Its easy to correct pre-shipment" not factually correct.

However, info provided by @fabulous_fragrance  about the "disable automatic address validation" seems to take care of the problem. I just did one today and PS left it alone even though it was a format I suspect they would have altered had I not made that change.

Message 24 of 26
latest reply

@wastingtime101 wrote:

😂Clearly you've never browsed their website @pjcdn2005 . It is FULL of cheesy pirate lingo. Drives @fern*wood crazy. The CS reps all use the lingo, too. Their CS is chat-based and appears to be in the US.

Every email begins: Ahoy PJ!

Label purchase confirmation emails are signed: ARRRRrrrrr... we thank y'ee f'er y'er business!

The last announced price increase email began: Yo ho ho ho PJ! It's that time of the year again

And it ended: 

If you run into any questions just give us a shout. We're always here for ya matey!

ARRrrr,
The holly jolly crew at Pirate Ship

Blimey! I’d looooove for them to have a phone support. With all that cheerful energy, I’d be calling them multiple times a day.

Message 25 of 26
latest reply

@wastingtime101 wrote:

@richard1rst wrote:

The information from eBay is passed through an API that validates the address before it actually enters our system and is included on your label. So there's no way to make you aware of a formatting error our system never saw 🙈 Its up to your customers or recipients to provide their address accurately and completely and its up to you as the shipper to verify the information on your labels is correct 📦

Thanks for the added info @richard1rst . That takes us back to my first thoughts above about an API issue, and confirms the issue stems from eBay's side with the way they don't validate buyer address at checkout.

🧱🧱🧱🧱

🧱🧱🧱🧱

🧱🧱🧱🧱

Message 26 of 26
latest reply