cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

A question and a concern...

First, the question:

I buy a lot of DVDs and I find that many sellers send a single DVD via media mail, when first class postage is actually cheaper for thaty weight, and gets there faster.

Why do they do that?

Now the concern:

I have recently noticed a number of sellers putting in a tracking number immediately, so the item shows shipped. 

Then the item doesn't arrive...  when I go back and check the tracking details, it shows the item wasn't presented to the PO for well over a week to be scanned into the system.

Now, while that particular case was extreme, I have noted it on other slow to arrive packages.

By the way, that particular seller even e-mailed me to ask for good feedback.

http://i264.photobucket.com/albums/ii196/karencarlton/cat%20opinion/1%20a%20acaaat1.jpg

Message 1 of 14
latest reply
13 REPLIES 13

Re: A question and a concern...

I've been testing the first class mail versus media mail thing for a few months now and have found out something rather surprising.  In well over 80 percent of my packages, media mail gets to my buyer 2-3 days sooner than first class.  I have tracking on all my packages and watch their progress over  the days.  Media mail seems to be faster.  With the USPS it may not always be the service you pay for--it may just be the luck of the draw.    

Message 2 of 14
latest reply

@sheba* wrote:

Now the concern:

I have recently noticed a number of sellers putting in a tracking number immediately, so the item shows shipped. 

Then the item doesn't arrive...  when I go back and check the tracking details, it shows the item wasn't presented to the PO for well over a week to be scanned into the system.

Now, while that particular case was extreme, I have noted it on other slow to arrive packages.

By the way, that particular seller even e-mailed me to ask for good feedback.

Unfortunately, that is eBay's own poor way of handling notifications. Once the seller prints a shipping label, even if they do so at 3am on a Sunday, eBay will marked the item as shipped and send you the email notification (if you subscribe to those).

There is no way for the seller to print a label AND THEN actually mark the item as shipped once it's picked up or dropped off. As long as an item is received on or around the estimated delivery dates, I don't pay it much mind.

She ❤︎ Her ❤︎ Hers
Message 3 of 14
latest reply

And some sellers do abuse the system by printing labels out well in advance of actual shipment.

Message 4 of 14
latest reply

From a seller stand point I can tell you I ship from my home, and my packages are picked up the next day, which I indicate in an email to the customer and advise them of the shipping tracking number.  However, I will tell you from experience, if the postal worker who picks up your package does not scan it properly, your tracking information is just out there.  That is why I always track my packages, and alert my buyers to any mix ups (especially packages going through Des Moines, IA??).  So I would suggest you contact the buyer ASAP if the package does not show up in the system, since they are the ones who have to make the fuss with the Postal service.  Hope that helps.

Message 5 of 14
latest reply

@greatcollectibles123 wrote:

I've been testing the first class mail versus media mail thing for a few months now and have found out something rather surprising.  In well over 80 percent of my packages, media mail gets to my buyer 2-3 days sooner than first class.  I have tracking on all my packages and watch their progress over  the days.  Media mail seems to be faster.  With the USPS it may not always be the service you pay for--it may just be the luck of the draw.    

Interesting....

I've found that media mail is always quite a bit later here.

It just seems to me that when everyone is watching pennies, this would be an obvious way to save without actually hurting service.

Message 6 of 14
latest reply

Thanks guys for your thoughts!

http://i264.photobucket.com/albums/ii196/karencarlton/Thank%20You/1a%201a%20thanks%206.jpg

Message 7 of 14
latest reply

To your question:

I can't speak for others, but this is how I make my shipping decisions. My BIN price includes $2.60 per DVD for FCP in bubble-wrap poly mailer. If I sell more than one at one time, I share quantity postage savings with the buyer. At some quantity, depending on rates current at time of sale, it becomes more economical to ship in PFR box. Only if I'm shipping several dozen DVD's in one order would I consider Media Mail, and then only with buyer's consent. Again, I would then refund any postage savings to the buyer as a Paypal "Shipping Discount".

Message 8 of 14
latest reply

@linamoon09 wrote:

And some sellers do abuse the system by printing labels out well in advance of actual shipment.

What system are they abusing?

Message 9 of 14
latest reply

To your concern:

Again, I can't speak for all sellers, but here are some possible reasons for tracking delays:

1). At the same time that I'm using my newly-printed mailing label/packing slip as a pull ticket, eBay has already notified the buyer that the DVD has been "shipped". Since I'm lucky enough to live within walking distance of a USPS Regional Sorting Facility, that order will indeed be shipped within a few hours. Other sellers' circumstances and locations may require longer handling times.

2). Sometimes an item may be on the second or third leg of its journey before it gets its first tracking scan. It's not supposed to work that way, but occasionally a malfunctioning piece of equipment, or an operator error, may mean a scan gets missed.

3). Check the item's predicted delivery date to your Zipcode before you buy, to see if you can expect it to arrive within your needed timeframe. The seller's feedback will help you gauge how consistently she meets that goal.

I hope this info is helpful to you.

Message 10 of 14
latest reply

I came here looking for just this...  why some sellers will send one DVD or a CD via media mail. As a seller myself, anything that qualifies, goes first class (mostly, with free shipping). I have also compared the cost, and in some cases, it is actually a few cents cheaper to use first class.  Whenever I purchase a DVD or CD, and later see that the seller has shipped media mail, I'm so disappointed, whether I pay for shipping, or not. In almost every case, it takes a whole lot longer to arrive. I have tracked some items, shipped via media mail, that have inexplicably gone way out the way, then back again, then away again, before finally arriving here. I mean, some really wacky routing!  If I catch it before I bid, or BIN, I will ask the seller to kindly consider changing the method of shipping from MM to first class... especially if the difference is either negligible, or less. If it's more, I'd GLADLY kick in the extra few cents.  I just do not understand the reasoning behind using media mail for something that only weighs a few ounces.  The time it takes to arrive can be significant... and not worth the savings, if there is one.   It's on my mind right now, because I ordered a used paperback ten days ago, shipped mm, and it's not even close to being anywhere near here yet. Not due to arrive for several more days. Had it been shipped first class, I'd be reading it already.  Of course, media mail is GREAT for heavier packages, and that's probably what it was designed for. But for ONE DVD, or ONE CD? I would suggest at least offering a first-class option to buyers. I'd take it, every time.

Message 11 of 14
latest reply

@bcharmah wrote:
 ..  If I catch it before I bid, or BIN, I will ask the seller to kindly consider changing the method of shipping from MM to first class... especially if the difference is either negligible, or less. ....

At current USPS rates, a First Class package up to 4 ounces costs 2 cents less than shipping via Media Mail.  For all weights over 4 ounces, MM is cheaper.  

So many sellers probably just use  a 1-pound MM rate for the sake of efficiency.  When every item has the same shipping setup you don't have to worry about which choice a buyer made, or whether an item got set up with the wrong weight.

New rates recently proposed for 2018 will set the price for even lowest-weight FC packages at  3 cents more than the 1-pound rate for MM.

Message 12 of 14
latest reply

A single disc DVD only weighs about 3.5 ounces, with a bubble mailer.  

When I am the buyer, and paying for shipping, I definitely appreciate the option of having it sent first class. Even if or when there is small increase in postage, it's negligble compared to how much faster it will arrive.  I get the efficiency thing for the seller... but the few minutes it takes to change, or add, the shipping method could save days in the delivery time. Faster deliveries = happier customers. I think it's a good practice to offer the least expensive method of shipping, when we're talking dollars, or many dollars... but when it's just a matter of a few cents, I think the quicker shipping method is the way to go for better customer satisfaction. So basically, I advocate for using first class in cases where it makes more sense than using media mail.

Message 13 of 14
latest reply

Yeah, I don't see abuse. Everyone creates labels and generally ship in batches. Ebay's system is just lacking in the correct feature. It should say "Label Created" instead of 'Shipped", then when scanned at shipper it then should be "Shipped".

I have an item now that the tracking status is "Delivered to Agent" and  eBay shows it as "Delivered"... on the same day it was shipped.  

Message 14 of 14
latest reply