cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

eBay return shipping label

Hi all! Quick question or two.

Does eBay only use a First Class Return label?

What if the item weighs 88lbs, over the 70 limit?

Thanks for your time.

Everyone has options. Just be sure the best option is right for you.
Message 1 of 35
latest reply
34 REPLIES 34

I believe the ebay return label mirrors the one that you originally shipped the item with.

That is an assumption so you may want to verify that. I recently did a return, opted for the ebay label and the label was the exact same price and everything.

That being said, if your item has unique charateristics like those you describe, I would definitely do the label myself and send it to them.

On another note...

I recently had a return where I provided a first class label and the buyer put it in a Small FRB for which I was charged an extra $3 and change.

Lesson learned, give your buyer EXPLICIT return instructions, especially if their feedback indicates little to no selling experience.

Message 2 of 35
latest reply

Thanks but this isn’t my item. I’m trying to help someone on the PT board.
Any input would be helpful.
https://community.ebay.com/t5/A-Part-time-eBay-Sellers-Group/Buyer-wants-return-Please-Advise/td-p/2...

Message 3 of 35
latest reply

eBay uses USPS First Class Package Return Service labels (and USPS Priority Mail Return Service labels) as they have been seen in the wild and/or mentioned in legends here.

Specifically asked Nate (ebay ship_like_a_pro) for definitive clarification and got no answer. (Didn't tag him when I asked, so guess I'll ask again as this is a piece of information very important to sellers, buyers, and the community to understand what goes on with returns)

USPS won't ship anything over 70 lb. Suspect that package is in a limbo and will be returned at some point (unless it slips through somehow - doubtful at 88lb with ).

Your OP will need to issue his own FedEx or UPS return label.
Message 4 of 35
latest reply

Appreciate the help!
Do you know anything about that tracking number?
I’m not familiar with return labels.

Message 5 of 35
latest reply

>>Do you know anything about that tracking number?
>>I’m not familiar with return labels.

I've never returned anything on eBay with an eBay return label (and have only returned maybe half a dozen purchases online in last 25 years) so on this topic I'm a theoretician working off documentation, and experimental and anecdotal evidence grin

That tracking number shown is odd and comes up as invalid with USPS. First 2 digits (84) should be the channel app ID and the next 3 (051) should be the service type code, but first group I've not seen before (means nothing) and second group doesn't correspond to anything in USPS documentation.

A 26 digit (human readable part) barcode number is a thing, but can't read anything in that one.
Message 6 of 35
latest reply

Thanks for your help! I assumed it would probably come back as an error and need to be re-shipped. Just hoping I can still use eBay to print the label, as it is like $40 cheaper than a direct UPS label.

Message 7 of 35
latest reply

Glad to help.

The label itself is valid such that it is, but is unusable for a pkg over 70#.

The tracking number didn't show "label printed not in system" but indicated invalid tracking number, so not sure what the deal is with that unless that is how return label tracking behaves until label "goes live" with an acceptance scan.

The return info you showed seemed to indicate that it hasn't been shipped yet, and if it gets scanned by say, the buyer's postman without being weighed, it could get into the system, you will be charged for the label I think, and it will get kicked out and returned to sender at first weighing at PO or sort center.

If dropped at a PO, I don't think it would get in system, but honestly don't know what happens if they scan then weigh and if it can be unscanned or otherwise not count as label used.

I don't know how UPS works through Paypal - quit using UPS 10+ years ago.

As the seller, you can create a USPS return label through eBay labels by "print another label", change the ship to address to your's (from and to addresses both you), and change the ship from zipcode to buyer's (to get label zone and cost correct)

However, since it originally shipped UPS, I think you are locked out of accessing USPS through eBay labels, and would have to use Paypal Shipnow for a label.

I don't know if you can do same for FedEx or UPS - don't know if they allow same from and to addresses on a label which is the only option (you would have to add the buyer's address to either your eBay or Paypal account addresses to be able to use it as a ship from address)

If you can do that, then should get the eBay discounted UPS (or FedEx) rates.

Just as an aside, I'm pretty sure I would be able to print an actual FedEx return label through my FedEx account with full eBay discounts? that could be emailed to a buyer in a situation like this. (a real return label not billed unless used like the USPS ones) On my phone so can't verify that.
Message 8 of 35
latest reply

So what is my next step? Theres no way to directly contact a PO it seems like, and if I give the automation system my tracking number i'm sure it will come up invalid and get nowhere.

Do I just have to wait a few days until it makes it way back to the buyer, and print another label at that time?
Message 9 of 35
latest reply

• So what is my next step?

I'm afraid I don't know.

Rereading your original thread and this one, it APPEARS the buyer was not lying about taking it to the PO and it being accepted since the eBay tracking screenshot you posted APPEARS to show it is in the system, but not moving.

USP tracking results in:
   Status   Status Not Available
The tracking number may be incorrect or the status update is not yet available. Please verify your tracking number and try again later.

which would tend to indicate an invalid tracking number (which it appears to be - I can't parse that tracking number into anything that makes sense. The field contents are all wrong)

Anywho, coincidentally, I pulled up alongside a mail truck at a stoplight and got some info from the surprised carrier before we had to scoot along.

Me: "What happens if a customer hands you a 90 lb pkg you can't weigh and you scan it in then?"

PO: "It is in the system and will be returned"

Me: "So ther's no way to 'unscan' an item and get it out of the system?"

PO: "No"

If your buyer dumped it on the PO counter and they scanned it in, then it is in the system and the label is used (and will have to be paid for I believe). eBay should credit you for that since it is mostly their screwup (their software SHOULD catch carrier limits like that when the original shipping parameters of weight and size are available to them - especially if they are going to issue return labels automatically and where sellers that know an eBay USPS label can't work for a circumstance will have no chance to prevent the issuance of a doomed-to-fail return label)

I'm pretty sure it isn't going to be transported any further (the 88 lbs far in excess of USPS 70 lb max), and will be returned to the buyer (assuming his return address is on the label - no idea what eBay return labels have for a return address).

That's all I have for you. Too many unknowns. Calling eBay CS, although often an experience in frustration, raised blood pressure, and a source of incorrect info and false promises might yield something if you can get them to understand, but at this point, it's really on the buyer's shoulders.

If the buyer is a reasonable person and will work with the situation instead of throwing a "gimme my money now or else" hissy fit, and you explain what happened (eBay issued an unusable label, the pkg is probably coming back to him, and you will issue a UPS label then, then you can wait and see what happens.

Unless the tracking shows delivered to you, the return isn't a completed return.

IF you can somehow get ahold of someone at the buyer's PO, maybe you can find out if it is in the system, if it is being returned, where it is being returned, and maybe why that tracking number doesn't track. Then at least you would know what is happening.

Message 10 of 35
latest reply

UPDATE!

I got a REAL tracking number from him, and it looks like SOMEHOW it is en route..... Not sure if it will make it all the way, but it has already made its way from NY to NJ. It is also somehow expected to arrive at my house tomorrow by 8PM, which is 3 days to go from NY to MT. Seems unreal.

9382020130200516041784 is the new tracking number. No way to verify if this is really my package though, I dont think.

Will update just in case anyone is interested in the outcome of this!

Message 11 of 35
latest reply

Please keep us updated.

There may be much to be learned here - especially about eBay return labels (since eBay doesn't seem to want to reveal any of that top secret info)

I checked out that tracking number and it shows movement as you say, and is a Priority Mail Return service label (but I can't see what service was used by dissecting the tracking number - the 820 service identifier doesn't match anything I can find so far and isn't in the standard tables.)

I'm starting to wonder if that 6/23 est delivery date means it got flagged for over weight limit at NJ Dist center and is headed back to NY.

We shall see.
Message 12 of 35
latest reply

Next update:

The buyer got back to me finally with a different tracking number - he had uploaded the wrong one? But anyway.

The item arrived in the Denver, CO hub this morning at 5:45 this morning. At this point i've got my local post office involved and the guy i'm talking to said hes about 99% sure at this point they will just deliver it.

The weird thing is that I asked him what the weight says on the scans - and he said the weight is showing 17.(something) lbs. I'm not sure if this is maybe the difference of their limit (70) and the actual weight (88ish)?

I told him to have them hold the package at the post office so I can inspect/confirm the package in front of someone. It should be there by Wednesday, so expect another update sometime Wednesday evening.

New tracking number: 9382020130200516041784

Message 13 of 35
latest reply

Thanks for the update. Interesting information going on.

Message 14 of 35
latest reply

"I told him to have them hold the package at the post office so I can inspect/confirm the package in front of someone. "

Why?

Message 15 of 35
latest reply