cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

USPS "Delivery Instructions" Package Redirection Option Aug 2018

Stumbled upon a USPS feature while checking a tracking number at USPS.com Have no idea how long it has been there on that page, but the documents appear to indicate it has been a USPS option since 2015, in addition to traditional Change of Address (COA) and temporary mail forwards.

Looks like it might not be good for online sellers anywhere in the same way that the FedEx redirects recently discussed are not, depending on how eBay, PayPal, and CC providers view the tracking and events.

Note that the image below is from tracking on an eBay return with a seller provided label where I am the buyer and sender - only receiver is supposed to be able to redirect the shipment and that appears to be the case (*see below)

USPS_Tracking_Delivery_Instructions_ss_081318_annotated_800x764.gif

https://prdfaq-f2.usps.com/?id=4e8aa634-9c39-4ea6-af59-298d34bb3488

USPS Delivery Instructions™ - The Basics

What is it and why should I use it?
Is my shipment (mailpiece) eligible for Delivery Instructions?
How do I set up Instructions for my deliveries?
Is there a fee for USPS Delivery Instructions service?
Will I receive any email notification of my USPS Delivery Instructions service request?
Can I cancel my USPS Delivery Instructions request?
What location options are available with Delivery Instructions?
Can I send my package to another location?
Damaged Packaging
How can I request a refund?

What is it and why should I use it?
 With USPS Delivery Instructions service, you--the addressee/intended recipient--can specify
and authorize how certain incoming shipments and mailpieces are to be delivered, BEFORE they
are delivered. Once you set up Instructions electronically, items can be left at a specific location at your
address, your Post Office, or even at a different domestic address – all options are listed online.
If the mail item is eligible, you can even upgrade the mail class and/or add Extra Services. NOTE: To see all Delivery Instructions setup options – free AND paid – be sure to access
Delivery Instructions through your USPS.com account and not your My USPS account. Is my shipment (mailpiece) eligible for Delivery Instructions? The main eligibility condition is a barcode. Your mailpiece must bear a USPS Tracking® barcode
or an Extra Service barcode so that you can check online and confirm eligibility. Here’s how to
do it on USPS.com or the USPS Tracking page: Enter the Tracking Number from the Shipping Label or Receipt into the field labeled
"Tracking Number" and click on "Search." The most recent tracking status of your item should appear. If your shipment is eligible for USPS Delivery Instructions service, the words "Delivery
Instructions" will be displayed on the right side of the screen under "Available Actions." You should note that these items / situations ARE NOT eligible for Delivery Instructions: Shipments that are insured for $500 or more International mail items Mailpiece is out for delivery, or already delivered Addressed to a military address Delivery signature is required Shipments with Collect on Delivery service Address with an active Hold Mail request Item has an active Hold For Pickup Item has an active USPS Package Intercept® service The address has a Temporary Forwarding service If any of the above situations is in place, Delivery Instructions will not appear as an
option for you when you check your tracking number online. How do I set up Instructions for my deliveries? After checking to ensure eligibility on USPS.com (see above), follow these steps and online prompts: Click on “Delivery Instructions” next to your shipment tracking number. The system will ask you to login to your USPS.com account (you can set one up at that time, if
you don’t already have one). Follow the prompts to see if your address is eligible and to then specify instructions for delivery. NOTE: Check out our step-by-step visual aid to help you set up Delivery Instructions online.
To see all Delivery Instructions setup options – free and paid – be sure to access via your
USPS.com account and not your My USPS.com. Is there a fee for USPS Delivery Instructions service? That depends on which Delivery Instruction service you choose: No Cost Options Delivery (redelivery) to a specific location at your address. Delivery to a neighbor’s home. (MUST be on the same carrier route). Hold for Pickup at your post office (your ZIP Code). Postage / Upgrade Fee Options Directing mail item delivery to a different domestic address (outside your carrier’s route/ZIP
Code) – Pay the additional postage. Hold for Pick up at a different Post Office (different ZIP Code) – Pay the additional postage. Upgrading mail service to Priority Mail® or Priority Mail Express® - Pay the upgrade fee. Adding Extra Services (when eligible) – Pay the Extra Service fee. Will I receive any email notifications of my USPS Delivery Instructions request? Yes. Based on the option(s) you picked when you set up Delivery Instructions, you
will receive one or more of the following: An email to confirm that your request was successful and an email to confirm your shipment
has been delivered. An email if you made a request that requires payment, and the actual postage exceeds the
estimated postage that was provided at the time of the request. If the article has to be repackaged, you will receive an email with the new USPS Tracking Number. If the article is undeliverable, you will be notified of the reason for non-delivery. Can I cancel my USPS Delivery Instructions request? No. Once you submit your request, it is final. What location options are available with Delivery Instructions? You can request that your eligible mailpiece be left at the following locations options if the
item does not fit in your mailbox: Front Door Back Door Side Door In/At Mailbox On the Porch Neighbor [address required - must be on the same street, ZIP Code, and
delivery route as your address] Garage Other [additional instructions required] Can I send my package to another location? Yes - you (the addressee) have the option to send your eligible package to a different
address or to a Post Office™ for pickup, but there is a postage fee. Here’s how it works: You will not be charged a base fee to place a request to change your package’s destination;
however, you will be required to pay for the postage once the package is successfully acquired
from the mailstream and on its way to the new address. When the online request is made, you will be provided with an “estimated postage” amount. It’s
“estimated” because USPS must later weigh and rate your package when it arrives at the Post Office™
in order to assess the actual postage due. If the amount calculated at the Post Office is more than
the estimate given to you online, we will collect the difference upon delivery. You can pay in cash,
check, or money order when your package arrives. You will be notified via email or text if your package was or was not successfully delivered to
the new address/location. Some common conditions for non-delivery include: The package is out on the street for delivery. The credit or debit card is no longer valid. The post office was unable to locate the package. The package was intercepted by the merchant (sender). Damaged Packaging If the original mailpiece is damaged, the Delivery Instructions request cannot be completed
and the mail item will be treated as any other damaged mail item: We will place the damaged
mailpiece in a secure, plastic bag, mark it “Damaged”, and deliver to the original mailing
address. In this case, you will receive an email explanation as to why your Delivery
Instructions request was not fulfilled. For other mail delivery issues, see "What Can Cause My Mail to Not Be Delivered?" How can I request a refund? You may contact the Payment Inquiries Team by e-mail (cnspayment@usps.gov) for any issues
or concerns regarding payment for USPS Delivery Instruction requests. Please include the
words, “Delivery Instructions” in the subject line of your email request along with the
following order details: Payment Related Issue (Including Refund Requests) Tracking Number Order or Confirmation Number Date of Order/Request

http://faq.usps.com/documents/Customer_Visual_Tool_for_DI-10-07-15.pdf

Delivery Instructions Terms and Conditions are here:

https://www.usps.com/tracking/easr-terms-and-conditions-popup.htm

*I signed in, agreed to the T&C, and proceeded. It would not allow me to redirect as the destination address/zipcode does not match the zipcode in my USPS.com account profile. That should prevent outside redirects by the sender and third parties, but also appears to limit the usefulness of the service as one can have only one address associated with a USPS profile (this one is for my PO Box, and I would have to have a separate USPS account for my home address, my office address, etc. (that's also an issue for informed delivery).

I have no current inbound packages, so can't test that, but will try to remember to check on next purchase to see what the flow looks like (probably won't actually redirect since it's a PO Box and hold at PO isn't really a useful option, and I have nowhere in that zipcode/carrier route to divert it to, so any redirects would involve paying for delivery to another zipcode)

Buyers/receivers have yet another tool for redirecting shipments (which is handy for them - the  "I gotta have it now" paid upgrade to Priority or Express options could be very handy in some situations where seller shipped slowboat method), but if the results in the recent FedEx redirect thread are any indication, may be not so good for sellers/senders.

If I read that thread right, where an alleged third party redirected the package to another state, PayPal threw the seller under the bus on the chargeback because the redirected address did not match the PayPal transaction address - even though that situation was completely out of the seller's control.

Not exactly the same scenario that would occur with USPS Delivery Instructions redirects, but result might be the same since it appears that PayPal no longer views the "shipped to address" as the actual address on the label, but instead it's wherever it ends up. Buyer redirects and claims INR?

Message 1 of 1
latest reply
0 REPLIES 0