cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Does anyone know how to switch back to printing the old classic shipping label format?

Ebay  switched my shipping labels page without any notice yesterday and now it takes 10 times as long for me to print a  label, It would be fine if I sold one item a day but I cant do this for 50+ transactions a day , it would take me an additional 2 hours of my time to print these labels

I see on the top of the page there is a "Switch to classic" option but you have to keep clicking it each time you print a label!

Anyone here or an ebay rep know how to override this option to make the classic feature my default???

Very aggrivating with all these suprise changes ebay hands to us all the time !

I want to go back to the label page as pictured:

Message 1 of 89
latest reply
88 REPLIES 88

Re: Does anyone know how to switch back to printing the old classic shipping label format?

I'm with you on this. This adds a number of additional steps/keystrokes that were unnecessary with the Classic format.  My first clue that the change wasn't going to be smooth is that my sold item, listed as USPS Parcel Select, defaulted as a Flat Rate Priority Envelope.  I then did the back and forth between a number of screens to verify I hadn't made a mistake in my listing.  I also had to send a corrected email to the buyer because I had already let them know that this was coming Priority Mail.  Even if the shipping method is correct each time, I'm seeing no benefit or simplicity from the new format, just extra keystrokes.  Maybe I'm overlooking an option, but the icing on the cake is that I don't get a simple clean option to ship my next item like I did with the Classic format. 

This is just another rollout that leaves me shaking my head, although my wife finds my outbursts and stories about the latest Ebay "improvements" entertaining.

Message 2 of 89
latest reply

Re: Does anyone know how to switch back to printing the old classic shipping label format?

@jmacds wrote:

I'm with you on this. This adds a number of additional steps/keystrokes that were unnecessary with the Classic format.

Not to mention scrolling, scrolling, scrolling...

I had a number of shipments going out last night, so I gave it the ol' college try, frequently veering off to click the "How are we doing?" link at the bottom to report the latest oversight or redesign silliness I had just discovered. My initial rating in each report started at "2," but by the time of my, I don't know, fourth or fifth report, it had sunk to a "1." As I said in one report, "This form appears to have been designed by someone who does not know how Shipping works."

Things I noticed, in no particular order: 

• There's no way of changing the Ship From ZIP designation when mailing from a post office other than that of your Return Address ZIP. It's not even shown on the form. The Ship From ZIP needs to indicate that the shipping was correctly calculated from the ZIP code of the Accepting post office. This could be a showstopper under certain circumstances, such as a seller taking packages with him on vacation to mail when payments are received. I use it routinely when mailing my packages from my office ZIP code rather than my home ZIP.
  • The new form commandeers at least double the vertical screen space of the old one, then does nothing with it. You have to scroll or page down through acres of whtespace to complete the form.
  • The new form offers alternate Shipping methods that have nothing to do with those offered in the listing, nor with the product being shipped (e.g. offering Media Mail on an item that doesn't qualify for it). Last night I was trying to ship bicycle parts, and yet I was offered Flat Rate Envelopes or Media Mail as alternate Shipping methods. This not only makes no sense (I do offer Priority Mail as an upgrade over the free First Class Package) but also has the potential for trouble if, for example, a seller who doesn't know any better falls for the cheap cost of Media Mail, then gets his non-compliant package inspected and hit with surcharges along the way.
  • Getting back to the Ship From ZIP issue for a moment: the survey form adds insult to injury by asking if we would like to see it added, as if it was some sort of form decoration. IT'S REQUIRED for certain circumstances (forgive me for shouting Smiley Happy), and its absence from the original form, coupled with its mention in a survey, as if we were supposed to... vote on it, or something... strongly indicates that the redesign is being conducted by people who simply do not know what they're doing. This needs to stop.
Message 3 of 89
latest reply

Me too!  Hate the new labels. Far more work. Print, switch back, print switch back etc.  Plus, I'm in California shipping to Wisconson First Class and eBay tells me buyer expects delivery in TWO DAYS!!!!

Message 4 of 89
latest reply

a fellow ebay seller just messaged me half hour ago that there is no way to change the shipping weight.

this is going to cause problems since I, and she, often add extra packaging/padding before sealing it up. That could add 3 or 4 more ounces, so either the buyer will get a postage due package or the seller will be on the "naughty" list with the post office.

Not to mention when a buyer purchases more than 1 item.

Change for the sake of change makes NO sense, to me and many others. 

Hope for all this is resolved quickly.

Message 5 of 89
latest reply

@drinkwine1204 wrote:

a fellow ebay seller just messaged me half hour ago that there is no way to change the shipping weight.

That part seems to be working for me (using Windows 10 Pro and Chrome browser). I have a pending shipment waiting for its label, so I did some messing-about in the form. It appears to take weight changes properly in the form (although I did not follow through and actually buy/print an altered label). In particular, it knew to drop First Class Package when the weight went over one pound (or 15.999 ounces), although it was a little strange that it accepted 0 pounds, 16 ounces for FCP, then updated the numbers to read 1 pound, 0 ounces. If printed that way instead of 15.999, I wonder if that might raise eyebrows at the post office.

Can you or that other seller give us some steps to follow so we can see the malfunction occur? I don't doubt that you're seeing it, but my tests are obviously missing it.

Message 6 of 89
latest reply

@drinkwine1204 wrote:

I had no trouble changing the weight. Could be user error; could be your standard eBay glitch.

Message 7 of 89
latest reply

Thank you all for your responses. Truly, the sellers on here are very professional, a true community.

I have not had a sale today, yesterday's shipment was on the old "classic" form. I will message her to get some specifics, perhaps just confusion with the new form, maybe a fleeting glitch, who knows ? 

I feel sad for the occasional sellers on here, changes are coming fast & furious, not sure how they will weather all of this.

Again, thank you for your efforts, my friend has been banned from the boards, and I try and help her out when possible.

Message 8 of 89
latest reply

@a_c_green wrote:

@jmacds wrote:

I'm with you on this. This adds a number of additional steps/keystrokes that were unnecessary with the Classic format.

Not to mention scrolling, scrolling, scrolling...

I had a number of shipments going out last night, so I gave it the ol' college try, frequently veering off to click the "How are we doing?" link at the bottom to report the latest oversight or redesign silliness I had just discovered. My initial rating in each report started at "2," but by the time of my, I don't know, fourth or fifth report, it had sunk to a "1." As I said in one report, "This form appears to have been designed by someone who does not know how Shipping works."

Things I noticed, in no particular order: 

• There's no way of changing the Ship From ZIP designation when mailing from a post office other than that of your Return Address ZIP. It's not even shown on the form. The Ship From ZIP needs to indicate that the shipping was correctly calculated from the ZIP code of the Accepting post office. This could be a showstopper under certain circumstances, such as a seller taking packages with him on vacation to mail when payments are received. I use it routinely when mailing my packages from my office ZIP code rather than my home ZIP

True^^^^^^^^

I got this message from ebay "You asked us to improve how you ship. So we did."

Are ebay employees on drugs??......

I for one did not ask ebay to "improve" anything on the shipping label page.

Secondly......i witnessed this improved shipping page for the first time yesterday and it nearly scared me to death. How ebay employees can possibly be this incompetent boggles my mind.

I ship at a neighboring village post office because it's less busy there than mine is. Only thing they require is that I change the ship from zip code so they get the credit for handling the packages. I can't do that on this new page!!...Thank god ebay has a way to switch back to the format that actually works. 

Message 9 of 89
latest reply

I've call in twice, there's no way to go back to classic view except clicking it at top of page, I explain to the CS rep it SUCKS and she agreed, I even ask her to high light "SUCKS" when she wrote up the ticket. NO way is this a improved stream line format, 3 times longer to print a label.

BEWARE!!!!! When I go to print a label I notice if you ship priority its $.30-50 cents higher then the classic one AND insurance is only $50 not $100, I let the rep know that too. 1st class seem to match, I haven't had a parcel post sold yet so don't know on that one.  I print 30-40 packages a day, well not lately, its a pain to keep clicking on classic but supposely by end of year everyone will have to use it.  Just like the junky seller's hub we're stuck with now

Message 10 of 89
latest reply

@magicjohnsonsvariety wrote: 
I ship at a neighboring village post office because it's less busy there than mine is. Only thing they require is that I change the ship from zip code so they get the credit for handling the packages.

(Oh, God, spare me from such clueless employees...) What do they think those pointy-clicky-beepy things in their hands are for? Right! Tracking! They get "credit" for the packages by scanning them and putting them on the truck. That's how it works. No one is sitting around squinting at labels to see what that little row of numbers in the upper left corner says, and writing them all down on a clipboard. It doesn't matter if the ZIP code is from the next town over (assuming that it's in the same rate zone); they will get their "credit" for it by aiming a scanner at it and pulling the trigger.

Message 11 of 89
latest reply

@tsme35 wrote:
 ... BEWARE!!!!! When I go to print a label I notice if you ship priority its $.30-50 cents higher then the classic one AND insurance is only $50 not $100, I let the rep know that too. 1st class seem to match...

That's because it is set up to always charge the Commercial Base rate for Priority Mail, not the Commercial Plus rate that is paid by TRS and some other high-volume sellers.  The cost difference is 3%.  Parcel Select and Media Mail should cost the same, despite the glitch.

This glitch/feature was first reported several days ago, and I hadn't seen anything recently, so I thought maybe it was an actual glitch, that got fixed.  But I guess not.

Message 12 of 89
latest reply

@a_c_green wrote:

I ship at a neighboring village post office because it's less busy there than mine is. Only thing they require is that I change the ship from zip code so they get the credit for handling the packages.

(Oh, God, spare me from such clueless employees...) What do they think those pointy-clicky-beepy things in their hands are for? Right! Tracking! They get "credit" for the packages by scanning them and putting them on the truck. That's how it works. No one is sitting around squinting at labels to see what that little row of numbers in the upper left corner says, and writing them all down on a clipboard. It doesn't matter if the ZIP code is from the next town over (assuming that it's in the same rate zone); they will get their "credit" for it by aiming a scanner at it and pulling the trigger.

Not true and my Post Office has in the past actually returned my mail AND attached nasty notices on it on a few occasions when I accidently dropped off items to the wrong post office. 

Message 13 of 89
latest reply

... my Post Office has in the past actually returned my mail AND attached nasty notices on it on a few occasions when I accidently dropped off items to the wrong post office. 

That's a valid action only for First Class online labels and Parcel Select.  For other services, you can mail it anywhere as long as the postage paid is correct.  Here's what the DMM has to say about the accuracy of the 'Shipping from' ZIP Code:

4.6.3 Deposit of Mail

Mailers must deposit or enter mailpieces with metered or PC Postage indicia according to the following conditions.

1. Mailers may deposit Priority Mail Express, Flat Rate Priority Mail, Priority Mail weighing one pound or less, single-piece price First-Class Mail, First-Class Package Service — Retail, single-piece price Media Mail, and single-piece price Library Mail items with a metered or PC Postage indicia at any postal facility, preferably within the area of the customer‘s local Post Office. Mailers may also deposit zone-priced Priority Mail pieces at any postal facility, provided the postage affixed to each mailpiece is calculated to include the amount due as specified in 4.3.1, taking into account the weight, shape, and the zone from the ZIP Code of the office where the mailpiece is deposited to the ZIP Code of the destination address.

https://pe.usps.com/text/dmm300/604.htm#ep1080496

Message 14 of 89
latest reply

@nobody*s_perfect wrote:
That's a valid action only for First Class online labels and Parcel Select.  For other services, you can mail it anywhere as long as the postage paid is correct.  Here's what the DMM has to say about the accuracy of the 'Shipping from' ZIP Code:

4.6.3 Deposit of Mail

Mailers must deposit or enter mailpieces with metered or PC Postage indicia according to the following conditions.

1. Mailers may deposit Priority Mail Express, Flat Rate Priority Mail, Priority Mail weighing one pound or less, single-piece price First-Class Mail, First-Class Package Service — Retail, single-piece price Media Mail, and single-piece price Library Mail items with a metered or PC Postage indicia at any postal facility, preferably within the area of the customer‘s local Post Office. Mailers may also deposit zone-priced Priority Mail pieces at any postal facility, provided the postage affixed to each mailpiece is calculated to include the amount due as specified in 4.3.1, taking into account the weight, shape, and the zone from the ZIP Code of the office where the mailpiece is deposited to the ZIP Code of the destination address.

https://pe.usps.com/text/dmm300/604.htm#ep1080496

I agree that Parcel Select is not mentioned there (for some reason), but First Class Package is. Specifically, they're talking about "First-Class Package Service — Retail," which I assume is us, as the alternative is "First-Class Package Service — Commercial," and from where else I see the "Commercial" variant mentioned, it seems pretty clear that "Commercial" is not talking about eBay sellers. "PC Postage" refers to the labels that we're printing on-line here.

So I don't know exactly why they would exclude Parcel Select from that paragraph above, but First Class Packages for eBay shipments look like they should be accepted anywhere within that area.

Message 15 of 89
latest reply