cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Where's my Search Bar?

So yesterday, I noticed that the geniuses in the eBay tech department rolled out a "new and improved" version of my items for sale, and everyone else's I would assume.  It seemed to work ok, which was a little surprising considering their track record.

As of today, the search bar has vanished on my own listings, although it was there yesterday.  I still see it on some other seller's listings, but it's gone to eBay technical heaven on mine.  This is at the least  annoying, and at the most, a major hindrance to finding something in my own inventory.  Oh did I mention it's a serious problem for both me and anyone trying to find something in particular to buy in my inventory?

Thanks again eBay, for your hopeless technical incompetence and for making life more difficuct for sellers and buyers alike.

Message 1 of 61
latest reply
60 REPLIES 60

Re: Where's my Search Bar?

I've NEVER seen a 'search' bar for those without a store. I click your 'listings'; I click 1 of your items, I click 'see other items' but because there's no store, the only search bar is at the top of the page which would then search the entire site, not just your listings?

Message 16 of 61
latest reply

@stainlessenginecovers wrote:

I've NEVER seen a 'search' bar for those without a store. I click your 'listings'; I click 1 of your items, I click 'see other items' but because there's no store, the only search bar is at the top of the page which would then search the entire site, not just your listings?

But there used to be an automatically applied filter. So you'd type something in main search but it would restrict results to that seller's listings. That filter is now gone.

It can be accessed through advanced search, but it's gone from the seller's view listings page unless  they have a store.

GLORIOUS!

Confused about the switch to eBay discounted shipping? Read this discussion to make an informed decision about opt in / opt out.
Message 17 of 61
latest reply

@hartungcards wrote:

Here's what "Gladys" says: "For you to be able to have a Search Bar on your Active listings, you must opt into seller hub"

Spare me, this is complete **bleep**.  Gladys has no idea what she's doing.

Yeah, she thinks you're talking about the backend managing your active listings, not the public facing view listings page that buyers see.

GLORIOUS!

Confused about the switch to eBay discounted shipping? Read this discussion to make an informed decision about opt in / opt out.
Message 18 of 61
latest reply

I always had a search bar on my listings before today.  I used it myself all the time.  And I've never had a store.  I don't think this is a coincidence that it's happened with their snazzy new format.

Message 19 of 61
latest reply

@hartungcards wrote:

I always had a search bar on my listings before today.  I used it myself all the time.  And I've never had a store.  I don't think this is a coincidence that it's happened with their snazzy new format.

The question remains:

Was it an intentional change or is it a tech error with the rollout?

Part of me wonders if it was an intentional elimination to try and promote that feature in stores. But since it results in an inconsistent and frustrating shopping experience for the buyer that wants to search your listings, I want to believe it's either a tech error or an (major) oversight with the new design.

GLORIOUS!

Message 20 of 61
latest reply

Update form "Gladys":

"Upon checking here, I'm sorry to inform you that the Search bar you were talking about is no longer available. However what you and your buyer can to is to enter the specific variations to sort it out."

OH, that's just GREAT !

Message 21 of 61
latest reply

Update from "Gladys":

"I understand that you want to have the search bar, but I'm sorry we can't have that option."

Because presumably, it would be too helpful and make too much sense.

Message 22 of 61
latest reply

@wastingtime101 wrote:

@buyselljack2016 wrote:

No store.

Seller hub.

Manage active listings.

I still have a "search". (knock on wood)

Look at your listings in search as if you were the buyer @buyselljack2016. Click view listings. Do you see a search bar for your listings on that page or do you see only the main eBay search bar at the top which will search the entire site - and no seller name filter applied?

OK.  I see an "entire site search bar". Guess I do not understand the issue.

Guess I never tried that, and don't see the purpose of having that type of search. I "search" in my "sellers hub" when looking for specific items. "enter value" hit "search".

Message 23 of 61
latest reply

The purpose is for buyers to search your listings without having to go through advanced search @buyselljack2016.

If you sold tools and I wanted to see the hammers you sold while filtering out screwdrivers, nails and more. And I wanted to shop your listings, not the entire site, that seller-specific search would let me see all the hammers you had to offer.

With this new change it appears that option is only available if the seller has a store.

GLORIOUS!

Message 24 of 61
latest reply

Never mind. I should have kept reading before I replied.

Message 25 of 61
latest reply

OK, now maybe I understand the issue.

As I posted, never saw a need when searching my own things to drill down with the search.

I now don't see the option when at someone else's listings. Seems that  I did use that in the past couple of days.

I agree that not having that is an eBay "failure". Don't want to look through 2,438 items to find 3 🙂

Message 26 of 61
latest reply

Noticed that there is no search bar for my own items, though to be honest, I don't know if it ever existed as I have never checked. 

However, in all my searches on ebay over the many years, there was always an account-specific search bar. 

Would it be too much of a coincidence that the thousands of purchases I have made on ebay were only from stores? 

Message 27 of 61
latest reply

Thank you for sharing this information from the CS.

Looks like I will have to subscribe to a store now, even though I don't have many items listed.

If a customer of mine is looking for all the sarongs I have listed, for example, it would be inconvenient and cumbersome to scroll through all my listings back and forth to find the sarongs they like. 

Message 28 of 61
latest reply

Exactly - now we have to PAY for a Search Bar on our listings?   Kiss some more of your money goodbye.  And kiss some of your customers goodbye while you're at it.

Message 29 of 61
latest reply

This is **bleep**!    I have 800 listings and I don't make eBay enough money to warrant having a search function any longer so buyers can search to buy multiple items from me?

So  you're saying eBay wants me to subscribe to a store to do so?  Not really feasible since I sell 1 of each item, I don't have multiple of each, not regular inventory.

Message 30 of 61
latest reply