cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

where do I go to get help identifying a glass antique?

I can't find where I COULD POST PICS AND MORE KNOWLEDGABLE FOLKS would give me their opinions, Help?

Message 1 of 9
latest reply
8 REPLIES 8

Re: where do I go to get help identifying a glass antique?

Hi @zannaty ,

I recommend posting on one of the following boards for best help:

Collectibles & Art — This board is most appropriate if it is not a household/home decor item.

Home & Garden — This board is most appropriate if it is a household/home decor item.

Pottery, Glass & Porcelain — This board may be best if you wish to receive replies from members who may tend to have more specific relevant expertise/interest in glass items (the same members may also frequent the two boards mentioned above).

Message 2 of 9
latest reply

Hello,I had a family member that used to buy and sell old antique glassware and would actually go to the local library for books related to that,as well book stores have these "value guide" books available,more so you can probably find some books here on e-bay,it is a good investment,the other method i know some people take is to go to google and in the search bar there is a way to upload a picture of what you have for a "virtual search", I myself have done this with old toys i cannot identify.

Hope this gives a little boost to your identification process

Message 3 of 9
latest reply

Sorry wish I could help iam new on hear 

Message 4 of 9
latest reply

I would recommend going to one of the groups on Facebook. Join one of the general groups for glass that says they are willing to allow pictures and questions on value and pattern, etc. and then begin to learn. I am going through a similar experience and find that glass can be very difficult to identify. Knowing where to start can be mind-boggling.
Message 5 of 9
latest reply

I don't know if you're still looking for information, but this is a site that I've used before when trying to ID some pieces for a friend.

http://glassloversglassdatabase.com

Also, check to see if your local library hangs on to back issues of any antiques and collectables price guides; the dollar values given will be out of date, but the books themselves are still a good resource for information and identification. Years ago, I was working for a jeweler who also did some estate liquidations. We got in the contents of an antique store that had been burgled -- still in the police evidence boxes. The store specialized in willow pattern china, since the owner had been a collector. I spent a whole lot of time poring over photos in price guides, especially since some of the pottery marks aren't always the clearest. Learned quite a bit about the history of willow pattern tableware -- and at the same time, developed an aversion to it that remains to this day. Smiley Frustrated But the books were still a real help in getting that particular mess sorted.

Message 6 of 9
latest reply

thank you so much
Message 7 of 9
latest reply

thank-you and yes it is a daunting task
Message 8 of 9
latest reply

thanks for the site and I do use my library, but not very adequate, small town
Message 9 of 9
latest reply