cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

any progress on moving "most recently responded to" to the top?

the title pretty much says it...as is, important conversations just kind of die sometimes as they drop further down the list...please, please, please add this otherwise basic feature...thanks!!!

Message 1 of 27
latest reply
26 REPLIES 26

sheila@ebay
eBay Staff (Alumni)

Correct me if I'm wrong, for example, if you're on the selling board, and you post a thread, and say the next there's a response to your thread, the post doesn't move to the top of the selling board? Is this what you're talking about? If not, please post screenshots.

Sheila
Community Manager
eBay
Message 2 of 27
latest reply

I'm pretty sure that's exactly what he means.  On each board, the posts are shown in order by the time of the original post. Older posts sink lower and lower even if they get a lot of responses.

Under "Options" there is a choice to sort by most recent post, but it doesn't work even if you set it up in General Settings, where it's supposed to be the default..

Screen Shot 2021-03-15 at 7.50.06 PM.png

Message 3 of 27
latest reply

sheila@ebay 

no, you got it--threads do not move to the top when there are responses. the only movement is to drop down the page each time a new thread is posted, only to be buried as the day progresses. so threads started early in the day that are generating active discussions end up pretty far down the list (page 2 and beyond) by midday, where they just kind of die out. and thanks for responding so quickly--much appreciated!!!

Message 4 of 27
latest reply

@nobody*s_perfect 

thanks--you explained it better than i did...lol--and with visuals!!!

Message 5 of 27
latest reply

sheila@ebay wrote:

Correct me if I'm wrong, for example, if you're on the selling board, and you post a thread, and say the next [day] there's a response to your thread, the post doesn't move to the top of the selling board? Is this what you're talking about? If not, please post screenshots.

sheila@ebay: Yes, and I would go so far as to say that this is the most critical omission from this latest upgrade attempt. Restoring this functionality should really be Job One.

Message 6 of 27
latest reply

sheila@ebay
eBay Staff (Alumni)

We've been releasing updates every week and this specific update will release next week. Keep in mind that something could possibly go wrong but when I spoke to the developer today she sounded confident that everything will go smoothly.

I try to update this post every week, but I'll also try to remember to come back to this post and give an update. Feel free to tag me. I might not respond right away, though I really try to, but I will eventually see your message.

Thanks for letting me know about this issue!

Sheila
Community Manager
eBay
Message 7 of 27
latest reply

sheila@ebay 

thank you!!! this update is a big one that i think folks across the forums will appreciate!!!

Message 8 of 27
latest reply

sheila@ebay wrote:

Correct me if I'm wrong, for example, if you're on the selling board, and you post a thread, and say the next there's a response to your thread, the post doesn't move to the top of the selling board? Is this what you're talking about? If not, please post screenshots.

@sheila@ebay

From your comment, it appears this is the first you've been made aware of the issue of sorting by the time/date the thread was posted versus the time/date of the latest response.

This issue has been brought up over and over on this board. It's mentioned in thread after thread, and you've responded to many of the posts. It's been on your lists of items to be addressed.

And now you seem to be saying you don't understand what we're talking about? 

Message 9 of 27
latest reply

Correct me if I'm wrong, for example, if you're on the selling board, and you post a thread,

sheila@ebay 

On the selling board, if a response is posted to a thread on page 5,  that thread should move to the top of page 1. 

Message 10 of 27
latest reply

sheila@ebay wrote:

We've been releasing updates every week and this specific update will release next week. Keep in mind that something could possibly go wrong but when I spoke to the developer today she sounded confident that everything will go smoothly.

I try to update this post every week, but I'll also try to remember to come back to this post and give an update. Feel free to tag me. I might not respond right away, though I really try to, but I will eventually see your message.

You say "this specific update will release next week" yet you do NOT list it in your update post that you make every week.  Hopefully it will be implemented next week.

Message 11 of 27
latest reply

sheila@ebay 

To add to this complaint:

A thread title starts out bold. When a user opens the thread, it is no longer bold. When a new user would reply, THE THREAD TITLE USED TO TURN BOLD AGAIN. That no longer happens.

In a perfect world, I prefer to have new threads at the top of the list--the way they're sorted now--rather than a sort by latest post. That was easy when the titles would go from bold to not bold and back again. I could still glance down the list and see if anyone had responded and determine whether I wanted to go back and open them again. 

The sort function needs to go back to the way it was:

TWO SORT OPTIONS COULD BE  SELECTED BY THE USER :

Sort by Topic Start Date

• Newest thread at the top.
  • Titles that have not been opened are bold.
  • Titles that have been opened are not bold.
  • Titles with a new response since having been opened are bold again.

Sort by Latest Post Date

• Thread with latest response at the top.
  • Titles that have not been opened are bold.
  • Titles that have been opened are not bold.
  • Titles with a new response since having been opened are bold again.

This is the way it was designed since I've been participating in the Community (only three years), and taking away flexibility and choice is one of the best ways to engender animosity among users. It's clear you didn't even use the Community discussion boards before ripping them apart, or you'd already know all this. It's pretty discouraging when users have to explain these kinds of features to someone who's getting paid to redesign this Community software. Kind of sucks the energy right out of the discussion boards.

Message 12 of 27
latest reply

@pburn I asked for a clarification to Jack's question

Sheila
Community Manager
eBay
Message 13 of 27
latest reply

@sheila@ebay

Yes, you did. And you received that clarification. I posted, "To add to this complaint . . . "

Would you prefer I start a new thread with my topic? Seems to me other threads have included many and varied complaints about this Community Platform redesign. I didn't realize we were now being restricted to one complaint per thread.

Message 14 of 27
latest reply

@somanypostcards wrote:

sheila@ebay wrote:

You say "this specific update will release next week" yet you do NOT list it in your update post that you make every week.  Hopefully it will be implemented next week.

Looks like this specific update was NOT released this week.  In the last update it now says:

"Coming Soon:

A post will jump to the top of the list, according to the latest reply/activity and will not be sorted by latest post date."

How soon is coming soon?

Message 15 of 27
latest reply