cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Solution?

Does that little check in the box in front of the thread title mean that there has been an accepted solution?

This thread: https://community.ebay.com/t5/The-Soapbox/Care-to-Share-Our-Resolutions/td-p/27930787/jump-to/first-...

has the little check in front of it, but no solution indicated within the thread...

Just curious.

Message 1 of 29
latest reply
28 REPLIES 28

Re: Solution?

wrote:

Does that little check in the box in front of the thread title mean that there has been an accepted solution?

This thread: https://community.ebay.com/t5/The-Soapbox/Care-to-Share-Our-Resolutions/td-p/27930787/jump-to/first-...

has the little check in front of it, but no solution indicated within the thread...

Just curious.

Yes it does but that does not mean that the accepted solution is correct. It only means that  the  original poster (OP) has posted that he thinks that this is the correct solution.

If you found my reply useful, please give it a Helpful.

If my response assisted in resolving your question, please click "Accept as Solution."

"If you found my reply useful, please give it a Helpful.

If my response assisted in resolving your question, please click Accept as Solution."

nana-nana-boo-boo
Message 16 of 29
latest reply

While I do appreciate the larger and easier to see green check mark for an accepted solution, I have to agree with others who find that bumping the accepted post to the first post isn't great, especially if there is a quote involved in the post...and if it happens to be an off topic thread, then it really does screw up the flow...in a word game, for instance, lol

Question, can the OP mark more than one post as an accepted solution?  If no, can you please think about making this an option as so many times there really is more than one correct answer, not to mention the fact that so many new posters think it is so cool to mark their own wise cracking posts as the solution.  alan@ebay

How much better life would be, if a liar's pants really did catch fire!
Message 17 of 29
latest reply

I agree that floating a copy of the solution to the top is sub-par - it does disrupt the flow, and then you slam into the original copy of the solution. Posts out of order, logical flow disrupted, temporal sequence is munged. I don't like it.

(if the powers that be think it's a necessary move to cater to a demographic with gnat sized attention spans that cant read or skim a thread for a solution then I don't know what to say other than I fear for the future.)
Message 18 of 29
latest reply

Keeps gettin' bettuh, don't it?

Now the thread titles are shaded on the list of threads, but the 'accepted' one within the thread is still out of order and not shaded.  If they can shade that, surely they can shade a post within a thread and keep the posts in order.

No, I don't know who Shirley is, but maybe she can accomplish this.

Forget keeping up with the Joneses. Be the Finklegrubers!
OK kids, time to get the Dodge loaded up again. I hear 'Poppy's By the Tree' calling. This trip might be a long one too.
Message 19 of 29
latest reply

It would be trivial for them to do that.

(I do something like that here with my Annihilator script for my own posts in threads, and grabbing onto the solved characteristic on a post and shading the solved post would also be not difficult).

I'd have to look at the page code to see if there are some unique selectors to be found (which I think there are), and if so, would probably be fairly easy to work up shading of solved posts with a few (10?) lines of CSS which could be plugged into Stylish in Firefox or into usercontent.css in Firefox (or Seamonkey?)
Message 20 of 29
latest reply

The following dropped into the Stylish addon in Firefox or into a usercontent.css file in the Firefox profile will do the trick:

@-moz-document url-prefix('https://community.ebay.com/'){
 body#lia-body.ForumTopicPage 
div.MessageView.lia-list-row-thread-solved.lia-accepted-solution
{background-color:#a0ffa0 !important;} }
Message 21 of 29
latest reply

WE shouldn't have to change anything on our systems to make the board appear to work correctly.

We don't have to do that on competent boards.

Forget keeping up with the Joneses. Be the Finklegrubers!
OK kids, time to get the Dodge loaded up again. I hear 'Poppy's By the Tree' calling. This trip might be a long one too.
Message 22 of 29
latest reply

That isn't really a functionality issue. Just because you want it doesn't mean its lack is a failing.

I though do like it, and as a result of this thread now have that functionality by adding it to my other 3200 lines of Stylish code.

(it should work in Seamonkey too - I did a cursory look and appears Seamonkey utilizes an optional usercontent.css file same as FF)

Message 23 of 29
latest reply

I look at it as providing the solution up front, eliminating trying to find it.  

OP asks question, solution is then shown.

Not really out of context as it is chosen as the solution to the OP, just out of sequence, but making it more relevant.

Just some thoughts.

Message 24 of 29
latest reply

Alan, makes sense and looks great!

Well done!

Message 25 of 29
latest reply

Of course we cannot exercise control over what post is selected as the solution, that is up to the OP.  OP may or may not choose wisely, some chose their own question as the solution, possibly because they want to rack up solutions, LOL!

But if it works as intended, it makes sense.  There is no way to force the OP to choose the "right" solution, solution may or may not be right, and that may be in the eyes of the beholder and a matter of opinion.  That is just something posters have to concede.  

Message 26 of 29
latest reply

@hidy-hoo wrote:

While I do appreciate the larger and easier to see green check mark for an accepted solution, I have to agree with others who find that bumping the accepted post to the first post isn't great, especially if there is a quote involved in the post...and if it happens to be an off topic thread, then it really does screw up the flow...in a word game, for instance, lol

Question, can the OP mark more than one post as an accepted solution?  If no, can you please think about making this an option as so many times there really is more than one correct answer, not to mention the fact that so many new posters think it is so cool to mark their own wise cracking posts as the solution.  alan@ebay

hee hee, quoting myself! upside_down

I answered my own question by checking a thread where I was the OP and had accepted a solution and the option to select another solution is gone...so only one accepted solution per thread, which is a shame as more often than not there is more than one solution to a question/problem...can you see if we can have more than one solution, please?  I hate hurting someone's feelings by not being able to give them a green solution accepted check mark when they deserve it! Smiley Happy

...and one more thing that I have noticed ~ when I am reading a thread and the "accepted solution" comes in a post after I have stopped reading and then I go back to read the new posts after the accepted solution has been selected, I am thrown back to the beginning of the thread and not where I left off reading...not good!  

Message 27 of 29
latest reply

@hidy-hoowrote:
@hidy-hoo wrote:

hee hee, quoting myself! upside_down

I answered my own question by checking a thread where I was the OP and had accepted a solution and the option to select another solution is gone...so only one accepted solution per thread, which is a shame as more often than not there is more than one solution to a question/problem...can you see if we can have more than one solution, please?  I hate hurting someone's feelings by not being able to give them a green solution accepted check mark when they deserve it! Smiley Happy

...and one more thing that I have noticed ~ when I am reading a thread and the "accepted solution" comes in a post after I have stopped reading and then I go back to read the new posts after the accepted solution has been selected, I am thrown back to the beginning of the thread and not where I left off reading...not good!  

@hidy-hoo

Alan has said that the OP can choose to unmark a solution and then mark another one as the solution in situations such as yours.  

thank you for referring me to this thread but as it was just on solutions, and Alan updated it when the new features came out, it was buried at the tail end, hence another reason I started the new thread.

Message 28 of 29
latest reply

Hi, castle...yes I am aware that the OP can undo an accepted solution and select a different one, but that is not what I was asking about.  There are many times that more than one solution is acceptable or more pertinent information is added in another post that should also be checked as an acceptable solution, imo ~ just wondering if this is a possibility or not...

Message 29 of 29
latest reply