cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Glossary of Terms

alan@ebay

Alan, in line with the discussion from today's chat, would your team ever consider adding a glossary of terms specifically for the Community?

New posters ask all the time, "Why are you calling me OP?", "What's a SNAD?", etc. It would be great to give them a quick reference link.

I'll volunteer to help create a list, and I'll bet some other posters would as well.

Message 1 of 15
latest reply
1 BEST ANSWER

Accepted Solutions

Glossary of Terms

alan@ebay
eBay Staff (Alumni)

@copper.boom wrote:

alan@ebay

Alan, in line with the discussion from today's chat, would your team ever consider adding a glossary of terms specifically for the Community?

New posters ask all the time, "Why are you calling me OP?", "What's a SNAD?", etc. It would be great to give them a quick reference link.

I'll volunteer to help create a list, and I'll bet some other posters would as well.

Love it, @copper.boom!!

If you'd like to create a list, I will find a home for it in the Community - you can then point members to it! 

Looking forward to seeing it. 

Alan - eBay Community Manager

If a member's response helped, please give it a Helpful. If you are the author of a thread and a member's response resolved your question, please click "Accept as Solution." More on Accepted Solutions.

Check out the eBay for Business podcast! For your chance to be featured on the show, call in with a question at 888 723-4630!

View Best Answer in original post

Message 6 of 15
latest reply
14 REPLIES 14

Glossary of Terms

eBay already has a help file on abbreviations or acronyms.

http://pages.ebay.com/help/account/acronyms.html

It just needs to be updated and maintained.

Message 2 of 15
latest reply

Glossary of Terms

Thanks @pocomocomputing but that's actually the link that inspired this post. I'm referring to terms & acronyms that we use here on the Community boards that are mostly Community-specific, though some certainly apply site-wide. If we create a list maybe it can be added as a sticky topic to the "About the Community" board.

OP = Used interchangeably between Original Poster & Original Post

ETA = Edit to Add when a comment is added to a post using the edit feature

IIRC = If I recall correctly

FWIW = For what it's worth

IMO = In my opinion, sometimes with an H added for Humble

HTH = Hope that helps

UPI / UPID = Unpaid Item / Unpaid Item Dispute

NAD / INAD / SNAD = Not as described / Item not as described / Significantly not as described

INR = Item not received

Blues / eBay Blues = Term commonly used for the Community Team and other eBay employees who assist on the boards, named because their posts used to be outlined in blue. Sometimes referred to as Pinks which dates to an even older version of the boards.

BO = Best Offer

PO = Post Office

BBL = Blocked Bidder/Buyer List

BIN = Buy It Now

IPR = Immediate Payment Required

FP = Fixed Price

Message 3 of 15
latest reply

Glossary of Terms

PWE = Plain White Envelope (non-tracked shipment)

PS = Power Seller

TRS = Top Rated Seller

TRS+ = Listing status that meets the requirements for a Top Rated Seller discount

Message 4 of 15
latest reply

Glossary of Terms

RRA / RRB = USPS Regional Rate A or B box

FRB = USPS Priority Flat Rate Box

FRE / PFRE = USPS Priority Flat Rate Envelope / Padded Flat Rate Envelope

Message 5 of 15
latest reply

Glossary of Terms

alan@ebay
eBay Staff (Alumni)

@copper.boom wrote:

alan@ebay

Love it, @copper.boom!!

If you'd like to create a list, I will find a home for it in the Community - you can then point members to it! 

Looking forward to seeing it. 

If a member's response helped, please give it a Helpful. If you are the author of a thread and a member's response resolved your question, please click "Accept as Solution." More on Accepted Solutions.

Check out the eBay for Business podcast! For your chance to be featured on the show, call in with a question at 888 723-4630!

Message 6 of 15
latest reply

Glossary of Terms

SH = Seller Hub

SM / SMP = Selling Manager or Selling Manager Pro
CS = eBay Customer Service
T&S = Trust & Safety Department within Customer Service
Message 7 of 15
latest reply

Glossary of Terms

alan@ebay I will PM you with the list when it's ready. 🙂

Message 8 of 15
latest reply

Glossary of Terms

Fantastic! Looking forward to seeing it, @copper.boom!

Message 9 of 15
latest reply

Glossary of Terms

eBay Community Glossary

@ Tag / @ Mention = Tagging another member using the discussion board’s @ feature which sends a notification to the tagged member

AFAIK = As far as I know

BBL = Blocked Bidder/Buyer List

BEAR = eBay’s Bulk Edit and Replace tool for sellers

BIN = Buy It Now

Blues = Term commonly used for the Community Team and other eBay employees who assist on the boards, named because their posts used to be outlined in blue. Sometimes referred to as Pinks, which dates to an older version of the boards.

BO = Best Offer
Boardie
 = Regular poster on the discussion boards

CC = Credit Card

Chat = See “Weekly Chat” below

Comm Base / Comm Plus = Refers to USPS pricing rates, Commercial Base Pricing and Commercial Plus Pricing

Community = eBay Community including the discussion forums ( http://community.ebay.com/ ), eBay for Business FaceBook page ( https://www.facebook.com/eBayForBusiness ), Twitter page ( https://twitter.com/eBayForBusiness ), Blog (http://community.ebay.com/t5/eBay-for-Business/bg-p/eBay-for-Business ), and Announcements page ( http://community.ebay.com/t5/Announcements/bg-p/Announcements )

CS = Customer Service

DC = Delivery Confirmation

eDELCON = USPS delivery confirmation service for International First Class shipments

EDD = Estimated Delivery Date

ETA = Depending on context: Edit to Add, when a comment is added to a post using the edit feature. Can also refer to Estimated Time of Arrival if used in the context of shipping.

EUC = Excellent Used Condition

FB = Depending on the context: Feedback or Facebook

FCM / FCMI = USPS First Class Mail / USPS First Class Mail International

FP = Fixed Price listing format

FRB = USPS Priority Flat Rate Box

FRE = USPS Priority Flat Rate Envelope

FVF = Final Value Fee, seller fee charged by eBay after a sale

FWIW = For what it's worth

GSP = Global Shipping Program

GTC = Good ‘til Canceled listing format

GUC = Good Used Condition

HTH = Hope that helps

IIRC = If I recall correctly

IMO = In my opinion, sometimes with an H added for Humble

INAD = See “NAD” below.

INR = Item Not Received

IPR = Immediate Payment Required

JMTC = Just my two cents

LFRB = USPS Priority Large Flat Rate Box

Lithium = Company that runs the Community discussion boards

MBG = Money Back Guarantee

MFRB = USPS Priority Medium Flat Rate Box

MM = USPS Media Mail

MM / MDM = Markdown Manager, selling tool for eBay Store owners

Mod = Moderator, Lithium employee that moderates the discussion boards

NAD / INAD / SNAD = Not as described / Item not as described / Significantly not as described

NALT = New Advanced Listing Tool for sellers

NARU = Not a Registered User

Neg = Negative Feedback comment, sometimes referred to as a "red doughnut"

Neut= Neutral Feedback comment

NOS = New Old Stock

NQLT = New Quick Listing Tool for sellers

NWOT = New Without Tags

NWT = New With Tags

OALT = Old Advanced Listing Tool, aka SYI Form for sellers

OOAK = One Of A Kind

OOS = Out Of Stock, commonly used when referencing defects on a seller’s account

OP = Used interchangeably between Original Poster & Original Post, referring to the poster or the post that started a discussion thread

OQLT = Old Quick Listing Tool for sellers

PFRE = USPS Priority Padded Flat Rate Envelope

PL = Promoted Listing, also seen as a Sponsored Listing

PM = In the context of communication, Private Message sent using the Discussion Board’s member-to-member messaging system. In the context of selling, Promotions Manager, a selling tool for eBay Store owners. In the context of shipping, Priority Mail service from USPS.

PMI = USPS Priority Mail International

PO = Post Office

PP = PayPal, sometimes referred to as “the Pal”

PS = Power Seller

PWE = Plain White Envelope (non-tracked shipment)

RRA / RRB = USPS Regional Rate A or B box

SFRB = USPS Priority Small Flat Rate Box

SH = Seller Hub

Sig = Signature line added to the bottom of posts

SM / SMP = Selling Manager or Selling Manager Pro

SmartPost = Shipping method offered by FedEx. FedEx handles the first leg of the shipment while USPS handles the final leg and delivery.

SNAD = See “NAD” above

SU = Seller Update, typically released every Spring and Fall, sometimes known as SSU & FSU

SurePost = Shipping method offered by UPS. UPS handles the first leg of the shipment while USPS handles the final leg and delivery.

SYI = Sell Your Item form, also referred to as the Old Advanced Listing Tool

T&S = Trust & Safety Department within eBay Customer Service

TIA = Thanks in advance

TL = TurboLister listing tool

TRS = Top Rated Seller

TRS+ / TRSP = Listing status that meets the requirements for a Top Rated Seller Plus discount

UA = Unauthorized Use Claim, ties in to a credit card chargeback. Can also refer to the User Agreement terms of service, depending on context.

UPI / UPID / UID = Unpaid Item / Unpaid Item Dispute

USPS = United States Postal Service
VeRO
 = Verified Rights & Ownership program, often referred to when a listing is pulled based on a company's report of intellectual property infringement ( http://pages.ebay.com/seller-center/listing/create-effective-listings/vero-program.html )

Weekly Chat = Weekly Chat with eBay employees ( https://community.ebay.com/t5/Weekly-Chat-with-eBay-Staff/bd-p/weekly-chat )

Message 10 of 15
latest reply

Glossary of Terms

alan@ebay I forgot to include:

TOS = Depending on context: Terms of Sale in a seller's item description, or Terms of Service for using eBay.com (aka User Agreement).

Pos = Positive Feedback Comment, sometimes known as a "green doughnut"

@partial*eclipse Alan said they will have the list of terms added to the spell-check dictionary after the team reviews everything. Thanks for bringing it up.

Message 11 of 15
latest reply

Glossary of Terms

@copper.boom wrote:

Pos = Positive Feedback Comment, sometimes known as a "green doughnut"

MMMMMM.... doughnuts!! doughnut

I received your PM and we're reviewing, I'll update you there. 

Thank you again heart

Message 12 of 15
latest reply

Glossary of Terms

@copper.boom wrote:
 ... Alan said they will have the list of terms added to the spell-check dictionary after the team reviews everything. Thanks for bringing it up.

Great news!  Do you think they could squeeze in a few other spell-check updates such as relisted and relisting?  I know it's too much to hope that eBay would admit that we use scammer  regularly enough to need that, too.

Message 13 of 15
latest reply

Glossary of Terms

Hi,

new (other) what is the meaning?

Thanks

Message 14 of 15
latest reply

Glossary of Terms

Hi, @denartbestdeal

New (other) explanation:

A new, unused item with absolutely no signs of wear. The item may be missing the original packaging, or in the original packaging but not sealed. The item may be a factory second or a new, unused item with defects. See the seller's listing for full details and description of any imperfections.

For an explanation of all eBay item conditions go here:

https://www.ebay.com/help/selling/listings/creating-managing-listings/item-conditions-category?id=47...

How much better life would be, if a liar's pants really did catch fire!
Message 15 of 15
latest reply