cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Fading to obscurity ...

... I've been wondering if The Community is fading to obscurity?  Weekly Chat involvement seems to be down as does the number of folks logged in here during the day ... less then 7K ... out of what, 25 MILLION Selling IDs and over 165 MILLION Buying accounts?   Lots of zeros in that percentage ... just wondering where they all get their support or questions answered???  Social Media?

I've always been miffed when a change comes along and it is presented as something Sellers wanted yet there is no board here with the surveys for Sellers to complete so they get our opinion ...

Regards,
Mr. Lincoln - Community Mentor
Message 1 of 25
latest reply
24 REPLIES 24

Re: Fading to obscurity ...

Something I find strange is how there are forum members that will be very active, then suddenly disappear. With the long-time members it all seems hush-hush (don't ask, don't tell)..I'm guessing to do with forum rules or such. I just find that sad, as several of the (now missing) members were so helpful when I first came to forums Smiley Sad 

I am a lurker during the weekly chat 😉 One of these days I'll jump in and actually ask a question, but for now, I still glean a lot of information from the questions asked. 

Message 2 of 25
latest reply

@gew6463 wrote:

Something I find strange is how there are forum members that will be very active, then suddenly disappear. With the long-time members it all seems hush-hush (don't ask, don't tell)..I'm guessing to do with forum rules or such. I just find that sad, as several of the (now missing) members were so helpful when I first came to forums Smiley Sad 

I am a lurker during the weekly chat 😉 One of these days I'll jump in and actually ask a question, but for now, I still glean a lot of information from the questions asked. 

@gew6463 

I think it may well be that the old timers are tired of no answers or results - for the most part.  In the Weakly Chat, continually hearing, 'Gee, Great Idea!  I'll pass that along to the appropriate team for future consideration', or the 'I haven't heard back with an update, yet'.  Or the many more ways of saying, ' Ah, yeah, okay.  Next question!'. And, then, there are the times when ebay might go off on a tangent so as to be able to not answer, or ignore, the question.

The Weakly Chat seems to be more to appease the people who know there is a forum, than to give actual hard, factual and accurate information to questions not on the approved script or that are 'difficult' situations.  Then, again, ever notice the influx of 'new' - to the forums, high FB, now frequent posters that show up at intervals? 

At least ebay has kept the forums.  They couldn't find enough staff or pay the staff enough to even begin to compare with the real information that those who help others, give for nothing.  Even I can't begin to imagine the total chaos that could occur should the forums disappear and the users - sellers and buyers - had to depend solely on CS for answers and information!

Not saying 'NO' doesn't mean 'YES'.

The foolishness of one's actions or words is determined by the number of witnesses.

Perhaps if Brains were described as an APP, many people would use them more often.

Respect, like money, is only of 'worth' when it is earned - with all due respect, it can not be ordained, legislated or coerced. Anonymous
Message 3 of 25
latest reply

@gracieallen01   wrote: " ... I think it may well be that the old timers are tired of no answers or results - for the most part. In the Weakly Chat, continually hearing, 'Gee, Great Idea! I'll pass that along to the appropriate team for future consideration', or the 'I haven't heard back with an update, yet'.

You don't have to be a long time member to get that kind of treatment, I was joking with another member on a thread yesterday that I was going to submit suggestion like 143 and suspect it will be passed on to the appropriate team or department as usual ... yep, wish I could have taken bets.  I am by no means bragging as others have great ideas and suggestions too but NOT A SINGLE request or suggestion of mine has ever been implemented ... none, zero-zip-zilch.  I know the Support Team may actually agree with many of those ideas and suggestions but I know their hands are tied, they don't make policy they just have the unenviable task of providing lip service to the disgruntled among us ...

But, if I don't make my opinion known then I can not complain later ... as the old saying goes, "if you are not part of the solution then you are part of the problem" ...

Regards,
Message 4 of 25
latest reply

@mr_lincoln wrote:

just wondering where they all get their support or questions answered???  Social Media?

Based on the level of willful seller ignorance that I see repeatedly, day in and day out, when I can even stomach going on Facebook, it appears that many prefer to get their answers from people as clueless as they are or prefer to demand that others do their research for them, or they just sit back with their hand out to people who actually know their stuff expecting a hand-out. It's really a trip reading through the "bad buyer" reports on FB. Truth told I see just as many, if not more, incidences that are clearly bad sellers representing that a buyer was at fault in the descibed instance.

Message 5 of 25
latest reply

If you had been able to take bets, you might have found you had a hard time getting any takers.  Smiley Wink

Even the hard-case old timers can only take so much of the 'banter'.  Sometimes, after a few years, some show up again.  However, most have come to realize that some things don't change and just come back to watch the side-show. 

Fortunately, there are those like you who are still of a mind to try.  Personally, glad to see it, too.  Smiley Happy

The foolishness of one's actions or words is determined by the number of witnesses.

Perhaps if Brains were described as an APP, many people would use them more often.

Respect, like money, is only of 'worth' when it is earned - with all due respect, it can not be ordained, legislated or coerced. Anonymous
Message 6 of 25
latest reply

@treasure.hunter.d wrote:

@mr_lincoln wrote:

just wondering where they all get their support or questions answered???  Social Media?

Based on the level of willful seller ignorance that I see repeatedly, day in and day out, when I can even stomach going on Facebook, it appears that many prefer to get their answers from people as clueless as they are or prefer to demand that others do their research for them, or they just sit back with their hand out to people who actually know their stuff expecting a hand-out. It's really a trip reading through the "bad buyer" reports on FB. Truth told I see just as many, if not more, incidences that are clearly bad sellers representing that a buyer was at fault in the descibed instance.

Personally, i don't think it matters whether it is seller or buyer - I think it is more just a reflection of today's society, highly influenced by the social media and the belief of entitlement, the lack of knowledge, or incentive to gain knowledge, by the general public.  It is all there for the 'taking' - just google it.

Message 7 of 25
latest reply

@gracieallen01   You are ABSOLUTELY right, nobody would have taken the bet ... the bet would have been better on "which" Team Member's turn it was to pass the message on LOL!

Thanks for the compliment too by the way.  I give them credit when it is due and "constructive" criticism when necessary.  While I have certainly learned a lot from the old timers and understand their concerns I also acknowledge that the multi-billion dollar online sales industry continues to grow and change and users (Sellers & Buyers) have to change too ... I just don't always agree with eBay's approach to it or with some of the changes they actually make.  They are clearly trying to play "catch up" in an industry that continues to pull away at a faster pace.

We frequent some regular live auction venues for inventory and while there are many eBayers present those same people have other avenues for their sales as well ... I think that may be the coming trend where the online Entrepreneur has numerous outlets for their goods.  We recycle goods from profitable lots through local auction houses so part of that equation is in place for us now.

Anyway ... the April Spring Seller update will be focused on Managed Payments and presented in the typical Dale Carnegie "everything's right with the world" style leaving out vast amounts of detailed information, you know, the stuff people really need to know ... the part I am really waiting to read about is how great the BETA test (they call it Phase 1 but its a BETA to be sure) went and how excited everyone should be about the possibilities ... care to place a wager??????

Regards,
Message 8 of 25
latest reply

"Anyway ... the April Spring Seller update will be focused on Managed Payments and presented in the typical Dale Carnegie "everything's right with the world" style leaving out vast amounts of detailed information, you know, the stuff people really need to know ... the part I am really waiting to read about is how great the BETA test (they call it Phase 1 but its a BETA to be sure) went and how excited everyone should be about the possibilities ... care to place a wager??????"

Smiley LOL  I hate to lose a bet.  Smiley Wink

I'm be waiting to hear of the further adventures of 'PayPal in the Land of Managed Payments'.  Smiley Surprised

Message 9 of 25
latest reply

Agreed ...

Regards,
Message 10 of 25
latest reply

@gracieallen01 wrote:

"Anyway ... the April Spring Seller update will be focused on Managed Payments and presented in the typical Dale Carnegie "everything's right with the world" style leaving out vast amounts of detailed information, you know, the stuff people really need to know ... the part I am really waiting to read about is how great the BETA test (they call it Phase 1 but its a BETA to be sure) went and how excited everyone should be about the possibilities ... care to place a wager??????"

I'm be waiting to hear of the further adventures of 'PayPal in the Land of Managed Payments'.  Smiley Surprised

Wasn't the Beta of Managed Payments actually conducted with Ebay employees who sell?

Message 11 of 25
latest reply

I think sellers are active in searching out other venues, I know I am.I'll still list some, just not what I had on before.And most likely auctions.

Message 12 of 25
latest reply

@readabouthorses wrote:

@gracieallen01 wrote:

Wasn't the Beta of Managed Payments actually conducted with Ebay employees who sell?

Not to my knowledge ... there were some Managed Payment BETA Sellers who replied to some threads in the past but they are not responding to them now.

Regards,
Message 13 of 25
latest reply

@readabouthorses wrote:

I think there was a point late last spring or early summer when a Beta was supposed to be run and employees ended up being the choice due to lack of volunteers.  I also think that there was some debate as to whether that got off the ground.   Then they started the program with the group, 5% or whatever, that has been involved in the process until now.  There was a comment made on one of the weekly chats that the program was 'live and not a Beta' about that time, too.  That is sort of how my memory summarizes it, but I'm old and the memory, they say, is one of the first things to go.  Smiley Frustrated  Smiley Very Happy

Now whether a Beta or not, or if there was one or not, I suppose that could be a matter subject to interpretation.  As it stands, it appears Managed Payments is up and running - albeit a mere outline of it's to be self - and just waiting for the time frame to be appropriate for the inclusion of more - or all - ebay users.

Message 14 of 25
latest reply

I think having most of the "Discussions"  LOCKED could have something to do with it....

Message 15 of 25
latest reply